Jambands.ca

Any Ottawa folk interested in learning taping?

bradm

I recently acquired a second (backup/alternate) recorder, and also have a second set of (stealth) mics (w/ a battery box), so I was wondering if anyone in Ottawa would be interested in learning how to use it to record shows. (The second rig is modest, but is quite capable of pulling in completely satisfactory recordings; it's also light and relatively easy to use.)

I'm thinking that, at first, the apprentice* would use the second rig to record with me (using my main/big rig), either right beside me, or in an alternate location in whatever venues the shows are at. Later, the apprentice could borrow the second rig to record shows independently, for whatever bands the apprentice wanted to record (that I might not want to) or for situations in which I'm not able to record (due to show conflicts or vacation or whatever). The apprenticeship would also include learning how to do things like transfer, track, and upload (and bit-torrent) shows.

If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to send me a private topic or respond here.

Aloha,

Brad

* I promise no Trump-esque "You're fired" admonitions. ;)

Edited by Guest

...just counting the seconds for bradm's smart-ass reply...

tick tick tick... ;)

I don't mean to "tick" you off, but I don't have a smart-ass reply to what you wrote. I try really hard not to use "tape" as a verb, but "taping" is the word I use for the whole concept/idea of recording bands (the way I do): it includes getting permission from the band, uploading shows (if allowed), trading CDs (if allowed), etc.

I also note that the only (two) times I've ever unintentionally left any of my gear at venues after shows, it was the same thing: the roll of masking tape and the roll of duct tape I bring to lash things down and hold stuff together. You'd figure that, as a taper, I'd somehow remember that stuff most of all...

Aloha,

Brad

...just counting the seconds for bradm's smart-ass reply...

tick tick tick... ;)

I don't mean to "tick" you off' date=' but I don't have a smart-ass reply to what you wrote. I try really hard not to use "tape" as a verb, but "taping" is the word I use for the whole concept/idea of recording bands (the way I do): it includes getting permission from the band, uploading shows (if allowed), trading CDs (if allowed), etc.

I also note that the only (two) times I've ever unintentionally left any of my gear at venues after shows, it was the same thing: the roll of masking tape and the roll of duct tape I bring to lash things down and hold stuff together. You'd figure that, as a taper, I'd somehow remember that stuff most of all...

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

awww c'mon brad, I was hoping for something a bit more humourous than this reply... ;)

When I'm in Orbit tonight "digitizing" the Sisters I'll give this some more thought...

Here's chapter 1

A Dummies Guide to Learning BradM's Taper Techniques

Rule number 1 - At EVERY waking opportunity, make sure to say "My name is and I am a taper."

2 - Contact anyone possible who might give you the 'rights' to tape the gig.

3 - Show up to bar obscenely early, with an extra-large coffee in hand.

4 - Pray you get to hear sound-check. Hell, pray that you can tape it!

5 - Fiddle with your knobs, tape mics to stuff, ask people if they saw the evenings band on their previous trip to Ottawa. Order 1st of 3 large drafts.

6 - Once the music gets going and the crowd starts to fill up, make sure to exclaim to passer-bys "THIS is why I tape" during any jam that sees the bar quiet due to the pedestrian nature of 99% of jambands.

7 - Fiddle with your knobs some more.

8 - Begin to 'rock the fuck out' like you are playing air-guitar, without actually playing air-guitar.

9 - Get a confused look on your face when the music doesnt go where you expected and start fiddling with your knobs like you are 'rocking the fuck out' playing air-guitar without actually playing air-guitar.

10 - Once setbreak hits, go outside with your headphones so that you can re-listen to what you captured. Doing this in a loud group of 10-20 people is the best environment. Slowly filter yourself away from the group. Head down the sidewalk a little bit and begin to 'rock the fuck out' again.

Repeat steps 5 through 10 for each set

11 - Get home, immediately transfer music and upload it to the archive.

12 - Wait for accolades. Flex muscles. Look in mirror.

13. Be harrassed by self-righteous know it all who goes by the name "Booche" at every opportunity.

;-)

*wincing at anticipated scorching rebuttal from Boochie.........NUB YOOUUUUU! But couldn't resist*

Edited by Guest

13. Be harrassed by self-righteous know it all who goes by the name "Booche" at every opportunity...

...while steadfastly maintaining a habit/policy of providing him (and others) loads of recordings of bands they like for free.

3 - Show up to bar obscenely early, with an extra-large coffee in hand.

For the record, I have never, in my life, ordered or consumed an extra-large coffee, either before a show or any other time. While I do usually get a coffee on my way to a show, it's most often the small size from Second Cup. I can, however, certainly understand why Booche might claim something that the rest of the world thinks is small is actually "extra-large."

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added quote.