Jambands.ca

DMB tomorrow?

mikey d

i'll be there. row 8 i belive. i got a free ticket from some guy at school i barely know who knows i like jam music. i dotn even realy like dmb, but its free and i hear they put on a good show. and logic will probably jam with them, whichw ould be sweet.

who else will be there? ill smoke a bowl with any of you if i find you.

I may be going with my friend and infrequent Sanctuary contributor Brels. We don't have tickets yet, but Brels has a knack of getting tickets on the day-of an event. I'm not a DMB fan either, but Brels is a huge fan.

Anyway, enjoy your bowl. I don't smoke and neither does Brels. But maybe I'll run into you at the beer line?

Yo! I'll be up on the lawn as well with Bald Guy In A Blanket and a few non-skanks. Hey Jaimoe, Karen's coming too, look for us if you're there. You probably haven't seen her in, what, 8 or 9 years?

And dear gawd, please please don't let them play "Don't Drink The Water"! [Roll Eyes] I think I've only been to one show out of about 8 or 10 where they didn't play it since BTCS came out. I'd so much rather hear some old-school "Recently" or "Song That Jane Likes" or something... anything! I think "Minarets", "Halloween" or "Spoon" would be the dream tunes for me tonight, but I'm doubtful on any of those. But hey, a lad can dream, can't he? [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

Well, you got your "Spoon" there buddy! That's a pretty rare one for Dave....

Mwah-ha-ha, no kidding! [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin] That, "Stone" & "Help Myself" made it for me setlist-wise. Oh, and probably the best "Two Step" I've heard in years. Oh, and no "DDTW", thank you very much!

SETLIST

When The World Ends

Rhyme & Reason

Ants Marching

Crash Into Me

Warehouse

What You Are

The Stone

If I Had It All

Help Myself

Where Are You Going

Spoon

Two Step

What Would You Say

Grace Is Gone

Stay

ENCORE

The Maker

All Along the Watchtower

My only issue with last night was the DMB tenancy to play these "greatest hits" shows in Toronto. They did the same thing at ACC last time. Not that I don't love hearing "Ants" & "Crash" in the first 5 songs, but it's like they think Canadian audiences will be disappointed if they don't play the favorites. But the pull-outs like "Spoon" made up for it. Personally, I could have used fewer "Everyday" songs and more "Busted" songs (who couldn't?), but otherwise a good list. Oh, and the encore kicked ass - however do you think we could get some kind of bill going that would make it illegal Stefan Lessard to play unaccompanied solos? His traditional cheesey bass solo before "Watchtower" was surpassed by his cheesier and unnecessary pedal steel "solo" before "Grace". BLAH! But his actual bass playing in the tunes was quite good, and you could actually hear the bass player which is rare at DMB shows in the past - I wasn't even sure some of those songs had bass lines before last night! [Wink]

Anyway, in my books a much better show than the one in Buffalo a few months back. Solid playing all 'round, particularly from Butch who I think is a lot better integrated into the band now.

- M.

P.S. To the guys in Cavern - sorry we missed the afterparty, our gang were all bagged and/or broke so we hustled out. Hope you had a great show, I bugged everyone to come seeya all next week! [Wink]

Jay, I agree with you about the ACC show.

It was very hits oriented. I was so disapointed by this show, and I'll say it's probably one of the worst concerts I've been to, and I paid the most for it. I had assumed that this was just the way things are, the record company is holding someone hostage backstage, forcing the band to play all the singles, to sell more albums. I am happy to hear this may be just a Toronto phenomenon. The setlist from last nights show looks pretty good. Glad to see they played two step, and encored with Watchtower!

So, how was Logic?

We mostly missed DJ Logic due to the endless line-up to get onto the lawn. However, once there, we hooked up with some friends in a nice spot just a few "rows" from the floor/lawn barrier.

I enjoyed the show but I went in with no expectations. I've seen DMB like 12 or 13 times but hadn't seen them since Buffalo 1999 (or was it 2000, "hamilton" - can you help me out??). Anyway, it was great to hear some old classics again - I had forgotten how much some of those meant to me. I do agree though that the show was a bit light on "Busted Stuff" material - hey, where's "Bartender" Dave? - but I really like that cd so..... And yeah, "Help Myself" is such a great tune, very heavy indeed. Not a lot of long jams, but that's ok with me. Boyd Tinsley should never be allowed to wear a shirt. If I had his physique, I'd go with a just a loincloth, that'd be all I'd need.

Say what you want about a DMB audience, i had NO PROBLEMS with the crowd around me last night. Everybody was happy, positive, respectful and full of life, no attitude whatsoever, no silly 14 year-olds wetting themselves every ten seconds, and no dirty wookies with attitudes slithering around..... A most hygenic crowd. What a relief! [Wink]

I'll go see DMB next time they're around. It was great to see the Amphitheatre packed with groovin people on a gorgeous late Summer evening. Nice stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

I am happy to hear this may be just a Toronto phenomenon. The setlist from last nights show looks pretty good. Glad to see they played two step, and encored with Watchtower!

Yeh, I've seen them do some bad-ass sets in Buffalo and Detroit over the years, although the last Darrien show was way too mellow for the first half. this one was definitely better. And in Toronto it used to be better as well, I think it's just the last couple of years they've done this - the Arrow Hall show in '98 for instance was an amazing set! I was disappointed with that ACC show as well, except for "Lie In Our Graves" with Bela guesting. This one was a lot better IMHO.

quote:

So, how was Logic?

Saddly, we got caught in a horrific traffic jam on the Lakeshore, due I guess to DMB + Jays traffic, so we totally missed Logic! [Frown] This made me very sad - anyone else see the set?

- M.

I was really disappointed in this show. There was no energy on the stage, the band had absolutely no interaction with the audience and what was with the 5 minutes of dead space between each song?

Sad, i use to be a big Dave fan... now i think he's a big enough fan of himself to make up for the loss of his original admirers...

i have to say i completely agree with miss pink on this one. i have never in my life seen that many people screaming and singing along and totally loving the act onstage, and have said act not even give a flyin' f*@$ the crowd is there. the guy has absolutely no personality whatsoever. on top of the 5 minutes of dead air between each song, he said all of 2 words to the crowd the whole time. the amphitheatre was packed, pretty much standing room only on the lawn ($57.50 a head standing room only), and we all may have been watching a dave matthews music video for his lackluster performance energy.

granted, the band is tight and his voice is nice live, but his whole attitude took any "props" away from that. not to mention his whole set sounded the same after awhile. borrrrrrrrrrrrrrring, sydney, borrrrrrrrrrrrrrring. i went to that show not much of a dave matthews fan, and left even less of one.

quote:

I've seen DMB like 12 or 13 times but hadn't seen them since Buffalo 1999 (or was it 2000, "hamilton" - can you help me out??).

5.11.99 at Marine Midland Arena, according to this excellent DMB setlist resource page.

Funny, I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of going to that show. Seriously. Is your memory faulty, or is it mine?

No, ding-dong, we went together, just us.

Dave did "Long Black Veil". Remember? A kick-ass "Seek Up" for an encore? We were, like, 7th row on the floor, in the middle, right in front of Dave.

I remember we both thought it was a surprisingly good show.

We have gotten rather baked a lot over the years though.... "It all rolls into one and nothing comes for free....."

Do you remember the time we went to Big Cypress in Florida to see that band from Vermont? [Wink] You would've enjoyed that.

i thought DMB played awesome, though they didnt put on the greatest show, visually. i think boyd tinsley is the man. i had awesome seats in section 203, row g, so i was realy close on the left hand side. i thought project logic were awesome, and i enjoyed the songs that dmb played very much, though i do agree it was kind of greatest-hits oriented.

during the show i smoked a joint with a girl infront of me, and later in the show she returned the favour. the joint she passed me tasted realy strange, and made me go crazy dizzy. about 20 minutes later i watched as her eys rolled back in her head and she passed out onto the ground. this realy freaked me out and gave me a realy shitty vibe for about 2/5 of the end of DMB's set.

but other than that, it was a great show.

Oh yeah - the "seventh row" part jogs my memory, now that you mention it. I'd completely forgotten about that entire experience until now, but I do recall that we thought it was a surprisingly good show.

We must have had an abnormally smooth border crossing, which is why it didn't stick out in my head... [Wink]

quote:

Dave did "Long Black Veil". Remember? A kick-ass "Seek Up" for an encore? We were, like, 7th row on the floor, in the middle, right in front of Dave.

Oh yeh dude, we were at that show too!

http://nancies.org/tour/reviews/19990511/

I was actually thinking about that show when they played "Rhyme & Reason" the other night - I turned to Jeff and said "remember that kick-ass Buffalo show that started with this?" Ah, those were the days...

FYI, I think the last truly great DMB show I saw was this one:

http://nancies.org/tour/reviews/20000705/

- M.

I was in low down in Section 200 ( centre ) and the sound was incredibly muddy, especially with the vocals! It got better 45 minutes in, but it never did totally straighten out.

However, through it all, it was a good show. I'm not a big fan of the DMB but he knows how to put on a good concert. I was troubled by the number of 11 year old girls hitting pipes. Very unsettling.

DJ Logic was better than I expected: I hate scratchers, but Logic has a good attitude and style. A good night overall.

I bailed and sold my ticket at the last minute.

Now i'm glad i did! But the funny thing is that I've always thought dave loved toronto. I remember a great tour closer in toronto a couple yrs ago, great energy with the band and the crowd. Personally, I have not seen a better show since my first one at the concert hall in '96. Tho g-love was an aweful opener... and the place was so packed a fight broke out in the middle...nothin' like drunken frat boys LOL...

(sorry if i may have offended any drunken frat boys...)

Archived