Jambands.ca

like St. Germain? care to recommend similar styled artists?

Try some shooglenifty on for size!

"mixing elements of Scottish traditional acoustic, dance/trance and world music."

I have their '94 and '96 album. The '96 sounds more 'modern' and more like St. Germaine.. I can only imagine their later releases to vear more in the direction.

Grab one of their newer albums and see what you think! I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://www.shoogle.com/

Shooglenifty are are from Scotland and I was sad to miss them play by only one week when I went there this time last year.

For those in the east, go see Shooglenifty this October!

Canada

6th - Wagmatcook Culture and Heritage Centre, Wagmatcook, Nova Scotia

7th - Sydney Marine Terminal, Sydney, Nova Scotia;

If you want to keep it on the acid jazz/electro tip then try these artists....

Cujo (amon tobin's first project..very jazz oriented)

Mother Eath (Killer english acid Jazz project)

The Clifford Gilberto Rhtyhm Combinoation (A Ninja tune artist that is on par with Squarepusher but more jazzy..hard to find but insanely good.)

Alex Gopher (A jazzy french house producer)

Kevin Yost (A killer american jazz/house Dj Producer..get the "Straight out of the boondocks album".)

Mr. Scruff (Ninja tune artist that samples jazz and uptempo funk)

Mr. Scruff is awesome he had a huge hit that ended up in ten different commercials, breakbeaty number that started with a clarinet loop - he's a wicked DJ as well...

Speaking of wicked DJ's, check out the Mark Farina Mushroom Jazz series - must be up to or past #6 by now...fantastic mixes, most done live - downtempo jazzy, funky, all the goods....some fun trickery to keep it unique.

For artists I love Lemonjelly, Blue States and Dhizan & Kamien - very unique artists that are somewhere near St. Germain...even Kruder & Dorfmeister hits the same stride every now and then.

for something more atmospheric check out

Ulrich Schnauss, all 3 albums are fanfriggintastic.

But the one I will recommend over all others is the Avalanches album - try and get the Australian version not the import as they couldn't clear a whack of samples here that makes that album jaw-dropping... One hiphoppy track called Frontier Psychiatry has all the rhyming lyrics comprised of a myriad of samples...acted out in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0

Hey Sasha is coming to TO the night after Ween...

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

Just remembered this thread from a while back and decided to throw in my two cents.

Check out:

Sasha and Digweed - Northern Exposure

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Most Of All:

Legion Of Green Men - Floating In Shallow Water (if you can find it Dima :P )