Jambands.ca

PBS The War

bouche

Bouche, i caught an episode last week completely by chance. Got hooked and sucked right in. It was amazing. As BUrns mentioned in the JS interview, the stories are told more from the experience of those brave individuals who were actually there.

The episode I saw focused on the Battle for Guadalcanal ... incredible what they went through there.

Remember, this IS done with a very American focus. Details are about their achievements and experiences, not the other allied forces.

yeah, its great, watched parts of 3 installments last week (the whole thing is 14 hours long)... most in depth low down on what was going on on all levels from the meeting the supply needs end to the happenings on the front lines... lots of unseen footage and untalked about facts (like that the americans got slaughtered anywhere they fought the first 8 months when they entered the war, had no combat experience)

and as stated, tells a lot of the story from a human perspective... brings up a time and situation in the war then follows the story of someone (or a few people) who was there in their words

definitely gets across the horror of war, along with the strength of the individual and imminent need for bright tactical leadership

hmm....there's no way I found all the episodes in the guid. I think I setup about 5 episodes. So it looks like there are 7 of them altogether.

no thats probably right bouche (5 episodes)... each of the episodes I watched was 3 hours long (guess one is only 2 hours or something)

7 episodes in total

I caught this the other night. The whole episode was amazing until the very last story of a Native American who became the last Indian War Cheif. He completed the 4 tasks required to gain War Cheif status. His story blew my mind. Ive been checking the guide for the next episode and it wont be missed.

story of a Native American who became the last Indian War Cheif. He completed the 4 tasks required to gain War Cheif status. His story blew my mind.

actually the last of the Crow Indian war chiefs... and yeah, that dude Joe Medicine Crow is totally amazing, he woke up something in my soul with those stories

still lovin the series... been a WWII documentary buff ever since I got hooked on playing the Panzer General strategy games a decade back and this one is the best yet... too much went on during that war to fit into a one or two hour run down, 14 hours is still really just skimming the surface but goes deeper than anything else I've seen

ps. sorry bout the earlier misinformation bouche but there are actually 7 episodes

kinda have to agree there Ollie

is why I only caught an hour or two the first times I watched ("Meanwhile, back in America..." hm... wonder whats on History Channel:)

been watching more of that though, have found the "Meanwhile" segments are usually fairly short and also tie into the story later on in the episode

would like to see a German equivalent documentary (in English)

gracias. unfortunately, the titles are not listed in the digital guide. But using the pbs site:

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/about_episode_guide_01.htm

I can read the description and match it with the guide. They only list a synopsis. Thanks Digital TV!

We watched E01 and half of E02. This is very well done and the Ken Burns effect is delicately taken advantage of. The footage that is in colour makes it feel WAY more real. Black and white footage always seems like it didn't really happen, like an old silent movie.

The colour footage paired with the well placed soundtrack makes 65 years ago seem like it was only 30 years ago, however weird that reads. As much as you realize that the sounds were not professionally recorded during these battle scenes, they fit so perfectly that you are questioning how it sounded to each member of the infantry.

extra_0923_thewar.jpg