Jambands.ca

I need a megaphone!

traveler

I have to say I don't see why that is a "good " article..atleast if your sympathies lie with the strikers.

A server in a fine dining room being paid 10.42/hr plus gratuities would likely be making some kickass change.15.00$ plus /hr wages in that sector are above the norm...as the manager of the hotel points out.

The article also holds up the server as fleeing Poland because of a lack of consumer goods and waiting in line for beer...which seriously trivializes the server's thought processes about necessity(all jokes aside)and thus his rationale for striking.

I have to say I don't see why that is a "good " article..atleast if your sympathies lie with the strikers.

so, a "good" article has to take a side? it was one of the more informative articles Ive read so far, and answered a few questions I have. in my mind, that does indeed make it "good".

No a good article doesn't have to take a side...but that one sure did.It was also informative and well written as phishtaper said.

In the course of the threads dealing with support for traveler and the strike,noone has expressed any negative opinions about the specific strike in question...although I think kindness has maybe reserved some comment.

That article was unsupportive of the strikers...I merely meant it wasn't "good" if one wanted to read something supportive of the strike.Bad choice of word perhaps.

Anything in the news will bring us support and attention for the Sheraton. The G.M. makes himself look good with his petty offer. He says he will feed us all turkey dinner for Thanksgiving. How generous and great press for him. He is paying $75.00 an hour for two investigators with cameras x 24 hours a week. He also pays an agency probably $50.00/hour for each scab.The scab will earn maby $10-$15./hour. We have around 15 scabs. He is running around 60% capacity so they are loosing money.

United We Stand.

He also pays an agency probably $50.00/hour for each scab.The scab will earn maby $10-$15./hour.

I doubt he pays that much per PERSON he uses through an agency. If PEOPLE are willing to work for that amount of money, so what??? I've had to temp before and no doubt will probably have to do it again someday. That attitude towards people that are forced to go into that kind of work situation so they can have food, clothes and shelter is absolute BULLSHIT! It's not those workers fault that someone high up in the company is a dickhole. Insulting and degrading them makes you sound like a prick in my opinion.

im reserving opinion on the dispute because I dont know any of the details, but 3 + 3 + 3 + 3.5 isnt at all "petty", in my mind.

my most recent contract only gave 3 + 3 + 2.5 + 1 ATBs. long gone are the days of double digit hikes.

edit to add: regardless of the specifics, I wish everyone a speedy and fair settlement. i hope you are back to work soon, traveler. strikes are not fun.

Edited by Guest

long gone are the days of double digit hikes.

As are the days of double-digit annual inflation rates*.

Aloha,

Brad

* According to

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/backgrounders/bg-i1.html

Over the past 40 years, Canada's average annual inflation rate has varied. It reached a high of 12.4 per cent in 1981 and has averaged 1.6 per cent since 1992. The annual inflation rate was 2.7 per cent in 2000.

I was 14 in 1981, and remember double-digit inflation and double-digit prime interest and mortgage rates.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The stike is over! We stood together for four weeks. No-one crossed the line. What an experience. Man, we are a solid group. We ajust for inflation each year 3.5%. We will pay 25% of medical ben. instead of 85%. Looks good and will pay for my time off. We lost nothing. The union also collected some donations from the buisness sector. They will send us all a check. If you find yourself in need to strike go for it. You can help alot of people.

awesome news Tim!!!

SOLIDARITY!!!

D'ya think you could come into my class and talk about union issues? It's part of the curriculum, and I find most of my students have this horribly skewed idea that unions COST jobs to the "everyman." It's frightening, really, how quickly they "parrot" the conservative agenda which gets most media play on the stations they tend to listen to.

I am totally serious about having you in to speak to these young'uns. I'll be in touch!!!

There is Power in a Union - Billy Bragg

There is power in a factory, power in the land

Power in the hands of a worker

But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood

The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for

From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud

War has always been the bosses' way, sir

The Union forever defending our rights

Down with the blackleg, all workers unite

With our brothers and out sisters from many far off lands

There is power in a Union

Now I long for the morning that they realise

Brutality and unjust laws can not defeat us

But who'll defend the workers who cannot organise

When the bosses send their lackies out to cheat us?

Money speaks for money, the Devil for his own

Who comes to speak for the skin and the bone

What a comfort to the widow, a light to the child

There is power in a Union

The Union forever defending our rights

Down with the blackleg, all workers unite

With our brothers and out sisters from many far off lands

There is power in a Union.