Jambands.ca

Remembrance Day

phishtaper

when i was a kid, Nov 11 was just a trip to the school auditorium with boring speeches and a moment of silence. as an adult, I think I can begin to understand the truly mind-blowing sacrifices that so many have made - sacrifices that even on my best day I could never hope to make.

with the greatest of respect, appreciation, and honour, I remember.

In 1997, I was travelling around Europe for close to two months waiting for the cup in Amsterdam to begin, and I visited my brother who lived in Lyneham, England at the time (he's in the QRAF), he had somne leave saved up and we both decided to travel over to France to attend the nov.11 service at the Vimy Ridge Memorial.

Definitely the most powerful and emotional rememberance day I have ever expirenced and one I will never forget.

everydayisremembrancedayt9.gif

One of the most amazing experiences I had in relation to Remembrance Day and the sacrifice that was made by so many was when I was in Europe. My wife and I drove to Normandy and visited Juno Beach and one of the Canadian Cemeteries.

After traveling around for 2 months, I never would have thought a beach and a cemetery in a foreign country would make me feel so at HOME and so unbelievably proud and patriotic being a Canadian.

With fewer and fewer veterans alive from that time we have to preserve their/our history and make sure that the youth understand what happened.

Every day I wear a gold ring that was issued to my grandfather as thanks for his service in WWII (officer on a mine sweeper). When I was in Normandy he was still alive. I called him from there to say thank you. I can't tell you how much it meant to him and to me. (A few years later they made a commercial out of it ... for Bell i think ... total coincidence)

In Flander's Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flander's fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, tho poppies grow

In Flander's fields.

Liet. -Col. John McCrae

cinth.jpg

The Canadian Cemetery at Cintheaux contains the remains of 2,959 Canadian soldiers who helped free France from Nazi oppression.

I watched "Band of Brothers" for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It made me weep. Even though it is following an American Company, the message translates the same. The sacrifice of the North American men serving in WWII meant so much to so many European communities, and to the world, that each of us should be proud that we had family/countrymen who were so brave.

I remember.

Edited by Guest