Jambands.ca

Big Sugar Final Tour

Swan

Sad news for any Big Sugar fans out there, after 6 albums and 1500+ shows, Gordie Johnson and the boys are throwing in the towel. www.bigsugar.com reports that GJ is going to take a new road in the year 2004. The word on the street has it that he is joining forces with some band in Texas. My speculation is that he is going to do some kind of collaberation with Double Trouble. I recommend that anyone who can - should try to make it out to one of these shows. Big Sugar has also just released a greatest hits package that includes a bonus live disc.

I myself am going to see them at Rocktoberfest in Kitchener in October w/Water Ostenak. I went last year and had a blast.

Doesn't look like there are any Toronto dates yet, but I'm sure there will be.

I may consider hitting up one of these shows, maybe it'll be good. Last time I saw them (a couple years ago) they put on a pretty *bad* show. They played mostly newer material, that was very much generic pop-rock drivel. Hopefully for this tour they'll be pulling out all the old stuff and having fun.

Too bad! I have seen GJ & Big Sugar more than any other band - they practically defined my university years - 40+ shows and not once since they added the second reggae dude...definitely owing them final respect...hopefully they come through London where I saw them for the first time...Call the Office 95...saw the first night of a three night run and then went back for the next two...500 Pounds and my stereo have got a date... [Wink]

i have always loved big sugar...gord has a huge ego sure but i've met him several times and he's pretty personable.

the band must have some merit if gord is gettin invites to play w/ bands like the black crowes/ govt mule etc...

anybody see them open up for the allmans in 95 or 96 at the molson amp?

btw, for chathamites...looks like big sugar will be playin the river rock (cool venue eh?) in chatham in possibly nov.

pardon my quebecois french but fuck big sugar shows. we need to see some ALKALINE shows. that was the biggest teaser album ever. dub remixed big sugar. it's some of the best dub i've ever heard ad no follow ups that i know about.

i saw big sugar and they hit some live dub and reggae and it was some of the best music i've ever heard live in my life and i've seen loads of shows since.

'reggae guy' is a great addition to the band and i'm sad to hear that there's no more big sugar with gordie.

i think there's definitely a potential for alkaline shows to open up for awesome acts that range from downtempo to reggae to post rock. i think it'd be a great step for creative music n canada. i'd love to hear about live big sugar dub at american jamband shows...imagine next year's bonnaroo or moe.down with great live reggae/dub

if you havent' heard it and don't like the3 big sugar diss then come to london and chill with me for a few hours with the disc on repeat.

it's stellar.

a gem if i ever had one. i have a lot of gems...

quote:

Originally posted by Canned Beats:

pardon my quebecois french but fuck big sugar shows. we need to see some ALKALINE shows. that was the biggest teaser album ever. dub remixed big sugar. it's some of the best dub i've ever heard ad no follow ups that i know about

Damn right Beats! I love that album. I saw on Pollstar the other day that 'the alkaline' was playing, got all excited. But turns out Goth rock is very much different from dub. Glad I researched before I thought about going.

Big Sugar was one of the only Canadian bands featured in Dean Budnick's original "Jam Bands" book (along with the Fat Cats, One Step Beyond and the Hip) - makes sense too if you've heard the 2nd disc on their new Hits release - every track is a segue of two songs and their is some serious high-octane hemi-riffing!

Phred - I don't remember who opened but I do remember that some guy in the crowd wouldn't believe me when I told him I wasn't in the opening band - I had long hair and a beard at the time and he bugged me all night like I was lying to him...funny you should ask...

MK, thats so funny you should say that. Of course I have seen Big Sugar more times than I can count- and actually their show at Fed Hall in 96? was the first time I ever met you at the old Erb St residence.... Anyways.....

That very same mistaken identity thing happened to me when I was with Wayne-O Zronik at the Black Crowes in 98 at the Warehouse. Some chick (wasted no doubt) came up to me thinking I was Johnny Lang)- who had opened the show. Needless to say, ever shy Wayne, proceeded to convince her and her friends that we had to be in St Louis in the morning and that I wouldn't be signing autographs. Freakin hilarious.

Sean

Archived