Jambands.ca

dalai lama may appoint successor

phorbesie

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7090915,00.html

Tuesday November 20, 2007 3:16 PM

TOKYO (AP) - The Dalai Lama says he may appoint a successor or rely on an election before his death in a break with tradition, a Japanese newspaper reported Tuesday, following recent orders that China must approve Tibet's spiritual leaders.

According to centuries of Tibetan Buddhist tradition, the search for the reincarnation of spiritual leaders, or lamas - including the Dalai Lama - has been carried out by Tibetan monks following the leaders' deaths.

``The Tibetan people would not support a successor selected by China after my death,'' the Dalai Lama was quoted as saying on a trip to Japan by the Sankei Shimbun, a national daily.

``If the Tibetan people wish to uphold the Dalai Lama system, one possibility would be to select the next Dalai Lama while I am still living,'' he was quoted as saying in an interview.

``Among options being considered are a democratic selection by the high monks of Tibetan Buddhism, or the appointment of a successor by myself,'' he said.

The exiled leader also accused Chinese authorities of stepping up persecution of Tibetan monks and civilians, and called the region's relations with the Chinese government ``the most tense in recent years,'' according to the newspaper.

China's new order, which came into force in September, states that all future lama appointments related to Tibetan Buddhism ``must get government approval,'' according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

It also prevents any outside source from having ``influence'' in the selection process, the agency reported.

The order has led to concerns that the central government may forcibly select a pro-Beijing leader once the current popular Dalai Lama is dead.

China has ruled Tibet with a heavy hand since its Communist-led forces invaded in 1951, and it has accused the Buddhist monk of defying its sovereignty by pushing for Tibetan independence.

The Tibetan government-in-exile in Dharmsala, India, regards the Chinese order as an attempt to further repress and undermine the religious culture of the Himalayan region.

In 1995, the Dalai Lama chose 6-year-old Gendun Choekyi Nyima as the 11th Panchen Lama, the most exalted figure of Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lama. The boy and his family disappeared soon after and have not been heard from since.

China's communist-led government later named Gyaltsen Norbu as the 11th Panchen Lama and said Nyima and his family were being kept in a secret location for their protection.

The Dalai Lama says he wants ``real autonomy'' for Tibet, not independence. He has lived with followers in exile in India since fleeing Chinese soldiers in 1959.

He arrived in Japan last week for a nine-day visit. He has been snubbed by Japanese officials, who are working to improve relations with neighboring China.

I think it's kind of interesting how most people in our culture, myself included, are rooting for the Tibetan monks and would prefer to see the Dalai Lama restored to Tibet in all of his former glory, yet when it comes to western society we're all up in arms the second christianity, a religion that has just as much linked history than that of the Tibetan buddhism, comes anywhere near our own governments, let alone when one of its followers starts talking about reincarnation.

I think it's kind of interesting how most people in our culture, myself included, are rooting for the Tibetan monks and would prefer to see the Dalai Lama restored to Tibet in all of his former glory, yet when it comes to western society we're all up in arms the second christianity, a religion that has just as much linked history than that of the Tibetan buddhism, comes anywhere near our own governments, let alone when one of its followers starts talking about reincarnation.

then again nobody's asking to use public funds to send a minority of students to Buddhist seperate schools... that the gentle Buddhist's were chased out of their country on a wave of genocide tends to soften some people's hearts

grew up Roman Catholic and wanted to be a priest when I was young... after much time and thought decided that while I appreciate certain elements of the teachings I don't believe in the overall picture... find Buddhist teachings make a lot more sense to me personally after weighing them against what I've experienced in this life

the concept of re-incarnation sounds way less bizarre to me (and a lot more fair) than the concept that if you did enough sinning in your long or short life you go to hell for eternity... or if you held back a little more on the sinning you get to go paradise for eternity

the concept of re-incarnation sounds way less bizarre to me (and a lot more fair) than the concept that if you did enough sinning in your long or short life you go to hell for eternity... or if you held back a little more on the sinning you get to go paradise for eternity

I don't think most christians think this way... maybe some of the hardcores in parts of Indiana and Texas and other evangelical centres... but the whole forgiveness thing christianity has going for it is pretty admirable in my books... and the ten commandements of christianity and the ethical precepts of buddhism are nearly one in the same.

but buddhism (the tibetan version at least) is accepting of other religions and does not try to 'convert' people. in the months i spent in dharmsala there were many jews in my courses and the lamas and nuns encouraged them to follow their own religion, while trying to incorporate some buddhist practices such as meditation, to whatever degree they felt comfortable with and no further. also, buddhists refrain from harming any living thing (even parasites to a degree) and don't go on rampages against other people who are unenlightened.

i don't really hold the whole conversion thing against christians. i know if i whole-heartedly believe something and think it's a good thing i'm going to tell my friends about it and tell them they should get on board too. mind you, i don't consider myself a christian, but i really, really don't care if someone hands me a pamphlet on a bus or wants to sit down and have a conversation about their religion with me to see if i'd be interested. in a way, i actually kind of admire these people and the faith they have in something and the good they think it delivers them. chatting with them can turn out to be good conversation if one can get over that initial period of outrage.

i hear you though. i sometimes wonder though if the non-christian attitude towards christianity were a little bit different would we see a change in the way christians act around others not of their faith? throughout the entire history of the religion they've constantly been having to protect their right to believe in their god, whether it's been against other religions or different sects of their own. That's gotta ingrain something into their heads being always on the defensive, always having to prove/protect their right to exist.

hey phorbsie, isn't dharamsala one of the greatest cities you've ever been in? I absolutely loved it there...

i did love it there, though i wouldn't call it a city, haha. which part did you stay in, mcleod ganj or another village? i stayed mostly in dharmkot up on the hill. it was so amazingly beautiful! i stayed until the snow and cold came, but it was hard to leave for sure!

i love reminiscing :) i wish i could post some awesome pics but i don't have them all on this computer (well i do have them all on snapfish ;) )

but i found only a few on my computer. i'll post em up anyway...

dharmkot

2056829167_05488221f3.jpg

monkeys - ya they look cute but they are really aggressive!

2057612702_258b6ea0ed.jpg

mountain view from mcleod ganj

2056827757_9ec6788428.jpg

kids singing a song to his holiness

2056827357_7c60893f7d.jpg

the karmapa's temple

2057610978_33e2175fd4.jpg

Vote Bokonon for Dali Lama hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaha

FUCK THAT!

I like my desires of the flesh, well more specifically I like my desires of your flesh! :D