Jambands.ca

fish!

meggo

what are some of your favourite [and EASY] recipes with fish? preferably without the mercury... i got this from the health canada website RE healthy fatty acids & unhealthy mercury:

"Some types of fish have higher levels of these beneficial fatty acids than others. Fish and shellfish that contain higher levels of these fatty acids and are also low in mercury include: anchovy, capelin, char, hake, herring, Atlantic mackerel, mullet, pollock ( Boston bluefish), salmon, smelt, rainbow trout, lake whitefish, blue crab, shrimp, clam, mussel and oyster

[fish with higher levels of mercury] These include fresh/frozen tuna, shark, swordfish, marlin, orange roughy and escolar"

then there was this info from "perinatology.org":

"[Washington state Dept of health] Advises women of childbearing age to:

* Limit tuna steaks, halibut, orange roughy to one meal per month

* Limit cod, pollock, haddock, tuna (6ounce can) to one meal per week

* Limit salmon and shellfish to 2 to 3 meals per week.

The Environmental Working Group lists other types of fish that may be contaminated by mercury, as well as by PCBs, include bluefish and striped bass, and freshwater fish (such as salmon, pike, trout, walleye) from contaminated lakes and rivers. "

soooo... ideas?

I guess my all-time favorite fish dish that we cook is also one of the simplest.

Salmon filet with PC "Memories of Montego Bay" jerk sauce. Pan fried, grilled or baked, it's all good.

Mike and I have a killer beer batter that's good for onion rings or fish, but that doesn't help you incorporate the healthier side of fish into your diet.

i bake salmon with diced onions and tomatoes on top, just a bit of olive oil, and some spices to suit your taste. served with grain-mustard mashed potatoes.

that is what i'm having for dinner tonight, btw.

teriyaki salmon is delish too.

great deals on huge salmon fillets at costco.

• 1 month later...