Jambands.ca

Joel Plaskett's week-long album retrospective series at the Horseshoe

TheGoodRev

Has anybody been going? I was there last night for Down at the Khyber, and I thought it was killer (though the few key pedal steel parts were noticably absent, but I'm biased). Pete Elkas played keys and guitar all night with him, and Gordie Johnson sat in for a fair bit of the post-Khyber set. Lots of great, great moments; it was great to hear tunes that you never hear live like Love in the Air, Unconditional Love, Blinding Light...and I'm a sucker for Catching On/Cry Together back-to-back. He'll often play both tunes but not together.

I'll be there tonight for Truthfully, Truthfully. Anybody else checking out this unique run of shows?

woah! it was Gord Downie, Gordie Johnson, Sarah Harmer and William Plasket as special guests tonight at the Horseshoe. what a crazy night!! Gavin and Jeff from BNB also played with Pete Elkas who played with Joel as well as opened the night. It was a nice unique Canadian music feeling - almost like the cozy canjam love in last week - but tonight it was the CAN ROCK night of the year! So lucky I made it!

p.s. I also spent time hanging out with Vincent Galo - he was pumped because "Meg" was going to be at his show in Detroit the following day. whoa!

Edited by Guest

Yes yes! Awesome night indeed. Joel and his band were on fire.... great crowd... great audience response. Gord Downie and Joel traded verses on "Love this town" and the band covered one of his tunes , Christmas time in Toronto, Gordie Johnson was on stage a lot of the night playing Joel's electric 12 string (notably on Natural Disaster and Snowed in/Cruisin) and Sarah Harmer came out and dueted on "She made a wreck out of me." And Joel's Dad Bill was on stage playing acoustic guitar for a good chunk of the evening.

To stand side stage and watch Joel's musician father watch his son doing his thing on stage in the middle of a sold out 6 night run in that room, laughing and grining ear to ear to ear, was amazing.