Jambands.ca

Crowded House on ACL!

bouche

I just noticed that Crowded House is on Austin City Limits tonight. Well, it's on at midnight on our version of PBS.

In highschool (1990?), I was a huge fan of CH and saw them in Kingston at an arena at Queen's University. We went early and the band came out to greet the lot of us that were there. Paul Hester (RIP) signed my red converse all-stars. Too bad I don't have them anymore ;)

In the band I was in that year, we did a Battle of the Bands at Stages Nightclub where we performed a very cool set of tunes including an acoustic version of "Better Be Home Soon". At a time that live acoustic shit was not welcome, we did it anyways. 3-part harmonies and all! Handle me with Care was next and I had my new Rickenbacker 12-string performing at George Harrison velocity for effect yet that didn't clinch the win. We should have fuckin' won. Fuckin' gay local DJ celebrity judges.

Back to CH, they've had a bit of a rejuvenation lately, and I'm very excited to see this.

So

I saw Crowded House's complete set at the Live Earth festival in July. It was excellent. Crowded House's set was the second best at the entire 24 hour festival (IMO) next to Wolfmother, with The John Butler Trio tied for third with The Beasties. Give it up for Australia!!

Anyway, Crowded House unveilded some excellent new material and their creative rejuvenation spilled-out to their live show, which delivered the hits and jamed-out like muthers.

Their performance didnt work over here tonight. I was all-in after the first two songs but got veto'd so I was forced to change it.

"It all sounds the same"

That was the argument. Bullshit. I got screwed over.

Tell Douglas that not everything has to sound like Poison and Motley Crue.

You did get screwed over, but PBS plays the hell out of Austin City Limits so you'll be able to catch the show later this week. I missed it too - too many good games last night.

TV schedule was wrong - show started at 11pm not 11:30pm and it was Gretchen Wilson and some other' date=' not Crowded House. [/quote']

You were watching a different affiliate. Crowded House was on the HD PBS channels.

OK - though Crowded House was listed as being on ACL in the local TV schedule (Ottawa cable channel 64).

well, that was a wicked performance. what a great songwriter Neil Finn is. The band jammed out a bit too and Neil even took some nice solos which I don't recall ever seeing. Nick had some very sweet bass which rounded out the excellent rhythm section.

well, that was a wicked performance. what a great songwriter Neil Finn is. The band jammed out a bit too and Neil even took some nice solos which I don't recall ever seeing. Nick had some very sweet bass which rounded out the excellent rhythm section.

I remember when Crowded House did a live acoustic set at MuchMusic back in the early 90's and Neil ripped through a couple of impressive solos. I hated him for that at the time.

They came to Toronto and Montreal last summer and I would have liked to see them again. I've got to keep my eyes open for their next visit.

not full crowdies' date=' but i bet this'll be good.

Tim Finn

Feb 7 08

The Courthouse

Toronto

[/quote']

I doubt you'll hear old Crowded House since Finn was only on their latter career "Woodface" LP and tour and was only really a part-time member. However, look out for lots of Split Endz and Finn Brothers material.

They came to Toronto and Montreal last summer and I would have liked to see them again. I've got to keep my eyes open for their next visit.

not full crowdies' date=' but i bet this'll be good.

Tim Finn

Feb 7 08

The Courthouse

Toronto

[/quote']

I'd go see Neils bro play if I could.

I know I've posted this before but a few years back Neil did a week's run of shows in NZ with Phil & Ed from Radiohead, Johnny Marr from The Smiths, Lisa Germano who has played with everyone, Eddie Vedder and many others...The DVD is called 7 Worlds Collide and is a fan, er, Finntastic concert to pick up.