Jambands.ca

NFL Playoffs

badams

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you might have noticed, some kind of important televised sporting event happened earlier this evening. A ball was kicked and thrown and men in extremely tight pants ran back and forth across something resembling grass. In the middle, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performed, though they didn't really seem to get what all the fuss was about. (Tom didn't even think the occasion was worth shaving for.)

A few minutes after the halftime show, something weird happened. And it wasn't just the realization that holy shit, the Giants actually have a chance here . It was an ad for NFL on Fox , buoying its triumphant montage of sweaty dudes in helmets with the rousing strains of the coda to the Arcade Fire's "No Cars Go" .

Verrry interrrresting. We knew these guys were sports fans , but would Win, Regine, and the gang really sell their music to Rupert Murdoch so that he could advertise his football television program?

No, no they wouldn't.

Turns out Fox never even asked the band if they could use their song, and they certainly weren't given permission to do so. (Gee, this sounds familiar .)

Right now, it's unclear if anything illegal took place, or if the Arcade Fire is owed any money from Fox. The matter is currently being reviewed by the band's camp.

On the third tee of the FBR Open yesterday, Phil Mickelson gave two Super Bowl tickets to John Fockler and his young son, Drew.

"He was wearing a Callaway hat," Mickelson said, referring to one of his sponsors. "I thought that it would be fun to give it to a father-son.''

There was plenty of time for the two to make the game because the Super Bowl was being held a half hour away in Glendale.

"I cherish the time I have with each one of my kids and I just thought it would be a cool experience for them," Mickelson said. ``I wasn't going to be able to use them because my family is in town and we're all going to watch it together.'

I still can't believe they went for it on 4th and 13.

I'm not sure if that shows how confident he was in his team or the lack of confidence he had in his kicker. I personally would have tried the FG.

However I was just eating Ribs and drinking. I had no direct influence on the game :)

I am extremely hungover. I am nurturing myself with Gatorade' date=' Water and Coke. My craving keeps changing but I am keeping it together so far.[/quote']

I had one of those Tim Horton breakfast sandwhiches this morning and it was life saving. I could eat about ten more of them right now if given the chance.

OOOOHHHH I would have loved one of those earlier. I may go grab something like that for lunch.

Ouch ... the gin hit me harder than i thought! :) Ended up sleeping in this morning (forgot to set the alarm) which made for a hectic hangover trying to get the kids, wife and myself up and outta there.

Must drink more water ... still full from all the food I ate last night.

Edited by Guest

P.S. How seriously lame was Fox's abbreviated post-game show so they could air a new episode of House? I miss the locker room champagne interviews. Thank god for the NFL Network.

I agree. IF the Pats had won, they would have dragged it on longer I am sure.

Wonder how many people are canceling their orders on NFL.com for the "19-0" gear that was for sale BEFORE the game even started!!!!! Nice to know that the League is selling shit like that before the outcome even happens. Bet the machines were pumping these out after the Giants' touchdown in the 4th quarter:

p4468400dt.jpg

Wonder how many people are canceling their orders on NFL.com for the "19-0" gear that was for sale BEFORE the game even started!!!!! Nice to know that the League is selling shit like that before the outcome even happens. Bet the machines were pumping these out after the Giants' touchdown in the 4th quarter:

You do realize that this shit gets made for both teams before the game? Jaworski held up both caps before the game started.