Jambands.ca

Sprouting!

bouche

Sharon and I have our first batch of sprouts that we started last saturday. It's a mixture of broccoli, radish, alfalfa and some other sprout that I cannot remember.

Anyway, sprouts are loaded with nutrients. The earlier to catch a vegetable in its growth, the more concentrated the healthy nutrients are and also there is no chance for any pesticides or other contaminants to get in there.

Sprouting is so fricken easy and everyone should give it a shot. I used about 1 tbsp of seeds and we have a weeks worth of sprouts for sandwiches, salads and vietnamese rice wraps in our refrigerator now. I'll likely document the process with pictures and maybe even video once we have it down so anyone can try it out.

I'd love to setup a timelapse of the sprouting with a web cam too. heh heh.

Incidentally, Michael Smith just did a bit on Sprouting.

Here's the jyst of what he had to show:

Use a mason jar and use the screw part of the lid to hold a piece of cheese cloth over the opening..

put a tablespoon or so of your choice of seeds in a mason jar, fill it with water and cover it with the cheese cloth. After about 8 hours, drain and rinse. Rinse them every day and they'll be sprouting in only a few. They'll be ready to eat by day 6.

Here is the thing we're using. You can also order seeds from there as well. Excellent service with fast shipping.

I freaking love sprouts. There are tons for sale in BC, and whenever my sister comes to town, she brings me a huge bag. I eat salad every day and sprouts make it way more interesting! I found some for sale at the Farmer's Market at Landsdowne Park but the variety was not as good.

grow them and you could eat them all the time.