Jambands.ca

Arrest warrant issued for Guy Lafleur

bONES

Arrest warrant issued for Guy Lafleur

lafleur.jpg

MONTREAL - Police issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for hockey legend Guy Lafleur.

The warrant charges Lafleur with giving contradictory testimony in September in the court case of his son, Mark Lafleur, 22, who is facing a slew of charges including sexual assault.

The warrant says Lafleur gave different accounts about his son obeying a curfew.

Police expect to arrest Lafleur, 56, and then release him right away on a promise to appear in court at a later date, Montreal police Const. Laurent Gingras explained.

Jean-Pierre Rancourt, a lawyer for Mark Lafleur, said the elder Lafleur "was devastated" by the news and feared police would break down his door to cuff him and bring him to jail.

"He doesn't know how these things work," Rancourt said.

Rancourt said he is shocked that a judge issued the warrant. He said his client is well known, easy to reach and would have co-operated with police.

"There was no reason to proceed with an arrest warrant. We don't know why they chose to do this. They wouldn't tell us."

Rancourt said Lafleur would present himself to police on Friday in order to agree on a future court date.

Mark Lafleur, who was first arrested in January 2007, faces 22 charges that include uttering death threats and sexual assault of a 17-year-old.

He is in jail pending trial on those charges.

Lafleur is also accused of kidnapping, forcible confinement, mischief, theft, possession of crack cocaine, ecstasy and marijuana, threatening to kill a Montreal bus driver, dangerous driving causing bodily harm and damaging a bus.

In a separate case he faces charges of assault and uttering death threats against a man in February 2006.

Superior Court Justice Carol Cohen revoked his bail last November after the 22-year-old broke his conditions when he spent leaves from a transition house in hotels rather than at home with his parents.

At the time, in her judgment, Cohen noted the former Montreal Canadiens star knew his son was breaking his bail conditions, yet did nothing to stop him, nor did he reveal the fact to the court in September.

"We love Mats!" was also a good one...

However, everyone in the McD's was cheering

"We love MACS!"

I like that one too.

Sens commercials suck, it's either Alfie or Spezza looking like a cupcake for Jubilee Jewellers, or one of the Chris' (Phillips, Neil, McGratton) selling a truck, or Mike Fisher extolling the virtues of his hot tub.

Sens commercials suck, it's either Alfie or Spezza looking like a cupcake for Jubilee Jewellers, or one of the Chris' (Phillips, Neil, McGratton) selling a truck, or Mike Fisher extolling the virtues of his hot tub.

LOL ... i used to book those Jubilee spots. I always wondered why there weren't more local businesses utilizing Sens talent in their commercials.

What the heck are you doing in these parts?

Are you a wee bit disoriented being off the green?

haha...well, I did PLAY hockey for like 12 years, so I'm not totally foreign to the game :P

And Guy was one of my fave players (after Darryl Sittler)...go leafs..hahaha

Sens commercials suck' date=' it's either Alfie or Spezza looking like a cupcake for Jubilee Jewellers, or one of the Chris' (Phillips, Neil, McGratton) selling a truck, or Mike Fisher extolling the virtues of his hot tub.[/quote']

LOL ... i used to book those Jubilee spots. I always wondered why there weren't more local businesses utilizing Sens talent in their commercials.

Makes for great hilarity when Spezza fails with one of his dipsy-doodles.

"Dare to dream Jason!"