Jambands.ca

Movies?

c-towns

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Michael Clayton and Gone Baby Gone last night.

Michael Clayton is a very good film and thankfully doesn't spoon-feed the audience its plot. The best thing about the film is really Tom Wilkinson, along with the excellent directing and story.

Gone Baby Gone is a pretty good film with excellent performances. Ben Affleck did a nice job directing and brother Casey is convincing even if the plot is convoluted.

I saw The Assassination of Jesse James last night. It was very good, but should have been cut shorter. This review sums it up: "Every element of this Western is beautifully rendered. So why is it a chore to sit through?"

I love zombie movies and was excited to see Fido, but was disappointed.

I enjoyed Sunshine. Picked it up without having heard anything about it and thought it was great.

I've been watching lots of documentaries lately. There's one called Commune that is quite fun to watch if you've got any hippy in you. Manufacturing Landscapes, about Edward Burtynsky's photography, is incredible and highly recommended.

I just watched a great doc last night that I had recorded off the Passionate Eye months ago. It was called "Abducted". It was about Japanese civilians kidnapped by North Korea in the late 70s. Fascinating and spooky.

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyesunday/feature_210107.html

Here's the doc's official website with trailers, awards, reviews, etc.

http://abductionfilm.com/

JAPAN, 1977. A dark, lonely road leads to the windswept shores. This is the remarkable story of a 13-year-old Japanese girl abducted on her way home from school by North Korean spies. For 20 years, her parents had no idea what had happened to her or if she was even alive. Then, one day the whole world learned the shocking truth.

An extraordinary tale of mystery, intrigue and most of all, love. The film is told through the eyes of the girl's mother and father who have been searching for their daughter for nearly 30 years. The film begins with the day Megumi vanishes, traces the astonishing course this personal tragedy takes, as it becomes a battle between two nations, rising to a shocking climax.

A human story about a strange, painful journey, full of bizarre twists as an ordinary banker and his housewife are caught up in a life they could never have imagined. Ultimately, ABDUCTION is a moving, emotional testament to the unbreakable bonds of love.

ABDUCTION The Megumi Yokota Story

Color, running time 85 minutes, documentary

I hated Manufacturing Landscapes. What a dreadfully boring movie. It's hard to get less exciting then a MOVIE about STILL photography. It reminded of me of that Bob Dylan documentary, that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago, that had none of Bob Dylan's music and was only about the photographer who covered a couple of his tours.

Looking forward to In The Valley Of Elah tonight though.

• 3 weeks later...