Jambands.ca

Knopfler in Ottawa

HaMike

I dont know what to do because I am worried this might happen during Bluesfest.

July 18th? Should I be worried?

That last show here was the first and only time I thought I would pay 100 dollars for a concert ticket. I went with no one but me and had the fucking time of my life. I love Knopfler and I want to go again but this is a REAL gamble right now.

Help.

• 4 months later...

What's the lowdown bagochips?

Or did any other Ottawa Skanks go?

I totally would have tried to get a ticket on Friday had I known the wedding I went to tonight was an open bar. Hell, that would have almost been the price of my ticket.

(By the way AD. That was a killer bump the other day. I almost had a fit being reminded of this gig.)

Friday night's show at the NAC was truly beautiful. The Ottawa Sun dude didn't do the show justice with his review. Knopfler played like the guitar deity he is through the whole show, but the highlights for me were his Dire Straights songs, of course.

Sultans of Swing, my all-time favourite Romeo and Juliet, a staggering rendition of Telegraph Road. For the encore he pulled out Brothers in Arms, So Far Away From Me, and the theme to Local Hero.

The backing band has been mostly with him for the last fifteen years and they are all fully accomplished multi-instrumentalists.

We were all a little confused about the opening act. With all due respect to Denis Armstrong, Hoop's show was not "brave and oddly beautiful." In fact, it sucked. The songs were tedious, long, grating and completely lacking in any kind of rhythm or point. Really awful. The woman herself was beautiful, her voice was gorgeous, as well. She just didn't seem to know how to write a song worth hearing. But, who cares, really. After three or four songs we took the opportunity to grab another drink and cram one last smoke in before Knopfler's set.