Jambands.ca

camping gear

c-towns

I don't know that you'd find a compression sack at Canadian Tire. Actually, I'd be quite surprised if you would.

Personally, camping gear is one thing I don't mind shelling out a bit of cash for. Having the right gear can make all the difference between a miserable time and an awesome weekend. Even something as seemingly innocuous as having the sleeping mat can make a big difference in keeping you warm and dry at night. MEC's prices are entirely reasonable, IMO.

Just my two cents. After working in outdoor shops for years (and camping/hiking/backpacking for even longer), I've seen a lot of good times turn sour because of cheap gear.

I'm with you Hartamophone, if you get cheap gear it won't be realiable leaving you nervous about logistics instead of enjoying your trip and/or it won't last and you'll end up spending more $$$ in the long run. I look at gear as an investment. So long as you know how to take care of it it can last a lifetime.

As for prices, MEC sells in such volume that they pretty much have the best prices for the quality brands. They're like the Walmart of gear. An ethically-focus, socially responsible, cooperative Walmart.

...ok, so MEC is nothing like Walmart but for quality gear they've got good prices.

I've heard of folks getting good deals through: www.backcountry.com but I have no experience with the site and I imagine the savings on small items like stuff sacs are negligible.

My only other suggestion would be contacting a friend who works in the outdoor industry. They would likely have access to pro-deals, that they aren't supposed to share with friends but it's worth asking. Or contact a company directly and ask if you can get on their pro-deal list (which is a long shot). Asolo offers HUGE savings for their pro deals and they have great compression sacs.

P.S. My favourite compression sac is OR's waterproof helium (available at MEC here ).

As for prices, MEC sells in such volume that they pretty much have the best prices for the quality brands. They're like the Walmart of gear. An ethically-focus, socially responsible, cooperative Walmart.

...ok, so MEC is nothing like Walmart but for quality gear they've got good prices.

Yeah, that's quite a ridiculous statement. I'm glad to see that you corrected yourself, though!

Sierra Trading Post (dot com) is another great online spot for gear.