Jambands.ca

Free Tapings in Toronto - MMJ, Stars, etc...

Basher

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a complete bunch of bullshit that was! Mellie and I pushed it 8 hrs from the Sault to make it to this gig... through shitty visibility on the 400 to stop and go traffic on the 401... we get to within 50 feet of the doors to find out the room is FULL! WTF? We are on the guest list... as are some 100 other people outside that are shut out... Thank you Fluffhead for yelling out how far we drove to the fuck ups at the door.. it was worth a try!

then to top it off... we get hit with a red light traffic camera at Birchmount and Danforth on the way out of the city.,.. the roads were wet and felt it wsnt safe to slam on the breaks on the amber and it flipped to red... great 190 dollar fine coming in the mail... whats next tonight?

Twas a shitstorm for sure. If you are going to any of these shows, get there early. They gave out more spots than people they can fit in there.

Bob I wish you hadn't bolted. After about 20 minutes they let in the 30 or so remaining on the sidewalk.

Was a very good show - it'll look and sound awesome on HD.

Great to see so many faces I haven't seen in a while.

Holy crap Bob. I wish you were with me, even if I was stuck in the fucking brutal VIP section.

Great show. Some amazingly good new songs and lots of anthems from the Z LP. I thought nothing could beat "Lay Low", but "Dondonte" and "One Big Holiday" really pushed the show up a couple of extra notches. Even The Sloth was grooving.

yeah bob, that's brutal - you shoulda stuck around though. halfway through the first song we all got in (to the balcony), then after What a Wonderful Man (3rd song?) most people went downstairs and had a wicked time.

awesome awesome show. loved (most of) the new songs, including the shoulda-been Prince b-side Highly Suspicious, Thank You Too, Sec Walkin', Smokin' from Shootin'. Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt 2 was really cool. Missed seeing / hearing most of Evil Urges as we were on the steps outside.

Dondante was killer.

i'm so fucking tired

Dondante was fucking HUUUUUGE and then the One Big Holiday to follow.

I agree with the AD, that Highly Suspicious is hot, hot, hot.

Great show, thanks again Brian for posting about the RSVP and thanks for no one calling AD out on having the email addresses for 4 days before hand and not sharing... it's ok, he's into cartography ;)

See, if going to church was always such an ass-kicking rock experience, then I might go more often. Or at all.

The tapings for season three of Beautiful Noise got off to an unbelievable start last night as My Morning Jacket rolled into town for their first Toronto show in almost two years and considering they played a hall that held but a fraction of the audience they'd normally draw, I don't know that you could consider their touring debts to the city paid. But that's more a complaint for those who weren't inside. For those of us who were... wow.

But with their absence from the stages of Toronto and the fact that they hadn't released a new studio record in almost three years, My Morning Jacket were suffering from a bit of out of sight, out of mind syndrome for me at least. Which is to say, I'd kind of forgotten how much I liked them and how incredible they are in live performance. Consider me reminded. Ignoring the fact that their show would likely be edited down considerably for broadcast, the band blew through a two hour show that didn't even feel half as long. In addition to all the gems you'd want to hear from their earlier records, they also previewed a fair number of tracks from their next long-player Evil Urges, which isn't out until June 10.

While it's obviously premature to assess the new material from a single listen in a live context, the impression most of it gave was that it was a step back from the determined experimentalism that made 2005's Z initially challenging but ultimately rewarding and a return to the more straight-ahead rock of It Still Moves and At Dawn... but note that I said most. They've still got a few hard lefts in their pocket as songs like the pure '80s electro-funk of "Highly Suspicious" would attest.

But all songs, new and old, were marked by the band's unbelievable musicianship and Jim James' showmanship - the man was a dervish of hair and Flying Vs, whether pogoing around the stage, trying out some dance moves or trying to invade the audience at the show's close (thank goodness for that velvet rope keeping everyone safe). And that encore! I thought they were going to finish with their haunting reading of Z closer "Dondante", but then stepped up with a scorching "One Big Holiday" and when I thought they couldn't top that... they did, with "Anytime". Unbelievable.

I remember being a bit confused when Magnet ran a My Morning Jacket cover story in their Fall 2007 issue - they were a year on from the release of their live record Okonokos and nothing had been announced about their new album. There didn't seem to be any context, any reason. Now, after last night's show, I understand. My Morning Jacket are awesome, and that's really all the reason you ever need.

What time did they lock everyone out?

Setlist:

Evil Urges

Off The Rcord

What A Wonderful Man

Gideon

I'm Amazed

Thank U Too

Golden

Sec Walkin

Lowdown

Wordless Chorus