Jambands.ca

World Baseball Classic in Toronto!!!!!!

Hal Johnson

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game last. That was one of the best games I've ever been at, regardless of the outcome in any sport. The crowd was incredible and the Canadians did Canada and the game of baseball proud. It all came down to pitching and there's only so far a roster with mostly minor leaguers can take you, but they did an admirable job nonetheless. Canada has a really good batting order with Joey Votto, Russell Martin, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, Matt Stairs and Mark Teahan. I loved hearing 42-thousand booing Jeter and razzing Larry "Chipper" Jones. The crowd was the loudest over a sustained period of time I've ever witnessed.

Anyway, I'm going to the US-Venezuela game tonight and I think I'll boo Jeter just for old time's sake.

The Can-US game was off the fucking hook! The place was rocking. I agree with you 100% Jaimoe, despite the outcome, our boys did us proud.

I was at the Italy-Ven game last night too, and the two Americans sitting by me couldn't say enough good things about Team Canada. Let's hope we can keep the momentum up for Italy.

I had to pass on the game tonight, but I'll be at the rest of them.

Seriously, though, what an experience that was.

Baseball Canada made bad decisions all-round: They sit their best starting pitcher for two games (looking past their game versus Italy) and Ernie does no shuffling of some of the more inept batters like Stairs and Chris Barnwell. Argue all you want, but the game versus the US came down to pitching and "we" didn't have our best starter in the game. Of course, having brutal hitting in the Italian game wouldn't have mattered if they beat the US. Ernie is getting ripped today and he deserves it.

It was a mutual decision by Baseball Canada and Ernie to sit their best starter. That was a bad mistake. Imagine the Jays finally making it to the playoffs and deciding to sit Halladay in Game 1. McCowan was all over Whitt today on The Fan and so were his ink-stained wretch co-hosts and guests.

Looks like Japan is the team to beat again this year. Anyone catch the game on sunday? Dice-K was unhittable.

I find myself rooting for Venezuala though, as I was forced to follow them b/c of the Toronto brackett. It's an interesting story too, about the way the fans have been treating Maglio Ordonez:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3972122

Edited by Guest

Its double elimination for the first two rounds. So, because the Netherlands squeeked through to round two, they got a clean slate and had to lose twice to be eliminated.

It's starting to get down to the nitty gritty now. The States play Puerto Rico tonight in an elimination game. PR beat the States 11-1 last time they played.

Im pretty sure the next round is single elimination though.

I fell asleep during the 8th with Japan up 3-1. I thought it was over then. Woke up in time to see Japan being handed the trophy, the presentation of which seemed a little awkward. I had no idea until this morning that it went to extra innings!

That was some pretty great drama.