Jambands.ca

world's oldest recording heard for first time

bouche

This 150 year old recording is finally heard.

This is really cool. the dude who recorded it had no way to play it back in 1860.

The device etched representations of sound waves into paper covered in soot from a burning oil lamp.

Lines were scratched into the soot by a needle moved by a diaphragm that responded to sound. The recordings were never intended to be played.

Cool shit.

Anyone know where we can hear Edison's recording?

I remember reading that the 1877 Edison tinfoil recordings no longer exsist. You can hear a recreation of them recorded in 1927 by Edision to commemorate his first recordings on archive.org.

As far as I know (or could find) the earliest know recordings (before today) were the "Experimental Talking Clock" from 1878

http://www.tinfoil.com/cm-0101.htm#lam-clock.

Did bradm tape this?

Nope. I e-mailed Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville to ask about his taping policy, but haven't as yet received anything back.

And while I may be older than your average skank, I ain't that old...yet, anyway...

Aloha,

Brad

Thats the recreation he did in 1927 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the phonograph (same one as on archive) - one obvious give-a-away would be Edison mentioning right at the beginning, "the first words I spoke in the original phonograph"

The original tinfoil recordings he did could only stand to be replayed three or four times before they wore out.

Thats the recreation he did in 1927 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the phonograph (same one as on archive) - one obvious give-a-away would be Edison mentioning right at the beginning' date=' "the first words I spoke in the original phonograph"

The original tinfoil recordings he did could only stand to be replayed three or four times before they wore out.

[/quote']

well fuck. Velvet wouldn't have known the difference. you ruined his enjoyment ;)