Jambands.ca

iTunes 'Downgrade': Couldn't be Happier!

SmoothedShredder

Just switched off of iTunes to WinAmp (the ten year anniversary)... and it's freaking great... should of done it long ago, but I didn't realize how much it had changed since I first used it last century.

It sounds better, it loads songs better, it randomizes better, it gets album art easier, and it seems to work with my iPod so far... if I can listen to the songs on my iPod uploaded through WinAmp... it is safe to say I can uninstall iTunes from my system and never have to deal with its resource hogging, play the same songs and artist even though it's suppose to be random, DRM, shove iTunes store and Safari down your throat BS ever again!

winamp rocks, always has. The only thing iTunes is good for is to load songs onto the iPod, otherwise there are a slew of much, much better alternatives out there to use as a jukebox. I'll use Windows Media Player before iTunes mostly because it looks like a windows program, not a mac program running in windows.

winamp takes it though. It plays all my sound files and can even play my video files though I don't let it. One of the funnest things is that it's not all that hard to customize in the sense of making your own skins.

Also, try grabbing some of the visualization plugins for winamp, woooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee, you can even get ones that will turn your desktop background into a visualization thing (you still see your icons and can use programs, it's like the background picture is replaced with wicked awesome colors).

Also, you can use winamps out_wave (or wave_out??) plugin to save any sound file to .wav format, even cd's and .wav's can become mp3's or any other type of files.

lots of other fun stuff too and I'm glad it can now replace iTunes.

The normalization I've found is far superior to iTunes... the songs sound better next to each other on shuffle... and I got the octimax plugin like Natural Mistyk suggested and it does it on the fly...

The bass sounds so much better in relation to the mixes in the songs... it even does a really good job of getting the live stuff to sound on par with produced music... though in some instances has introduced quite a hiss...

the only thing I haven't found that I prefer in iTunes is the smart playlist, and the pull down menu that has all your genre's and artist in the info input window. Other than that... it's golden!

Oh, and I'm not big into podcasts... but there's a 'Podcast directory' in the menu list on the left...

Edited by Guest