Jambands.ca

MLS - Ottawa

Tissue Man

Go Eugene!

all good except for the whole stadium in kanata bit..

Five years ago Eugene Melnyk saved the Ottawa Senators franchise from bankruptcy. Now with his NHL club on solid financial ground, the owner wants to bring a professional soccer club to the nation's capital.

"We have a rare window of opportunity to make this happen. I am firmly committed to bring an MLS franchise to Ottawa," Melnyk told reporters gathered at a press conference at Scotiabank Place.

Melnyk outlined his plan to bring an MLS team to Ottawa and build an outdoor, soccer-first stadium. The proposed stadium, which could seat up to 30,000 people, would be located adjacent to Scotiabank Place in the city's west end. The stadium would only be built if the group received prior approval for an MLS franchise

In July, MLS comissioner Don Garber said that Ottawa was one of nine North American cities that would be considered for two expansion teams to enter the league in 2011. Montreal and Vancouver have already expressed their desire to join the league in their next phase of expansion.

The Melnyk group must submit their proposal to the MLS by October 15th. A decision on which two cities will be chosen for expansion is expected to be rendered later this year.

This is the second outdoor stadium propsal currently on the table in Ottawa. Ottawa 67s owner Jeff Hunt is part of a group trying to re-build Frank Clair Stadium and bring a CFL team back to Ottawa. Hunt's group received conditional approval for a CFL team, based on their ability to secure a new stadium.

The Melnyk group did not think their bid would disrupt Hunt's plans for an outdoor football stadium in downtown Ottawa. But they also did not rule out the possibility of using the soccer stadium to house a professional football team down the road.

"Our plan currently does not include football, but if the timing is right, we could make the modifications to host a football team," said Senators COO Cyril Leeder.

The proposed stadium would also serve as a multi-purpose outdoor entertainment venue. A permananet stage would be located in the south end of the stadium, with the hopes of attracting major concerts to the area. With the future of Frank Clair Stadium currently up in the air, Ottawa does not have an outdoor stadium suitable to host large events.

"We are a G-8 country and Ottawa is our capital, but we don't have a world class outdoor stadium," said Melnyk. "Our community needs and deserves a world class stadium."

The proposed stadium, which could seat up to 30,000 people, would be located adjacent to Scotiabank Place in the city's west end.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a city having both an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium side-by-side (except for maybe Olympic villages). Leaving aside how inconvenient it'd be to have the complex in the West end, are there any advantages to having them next to each other?

Aloha,

Brad

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a city having both an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium side-by-side (except for maybe Olympic villages).

Landsdowne Park has Frank Clair Stadium and the Civic Centre Arena side-by-side' date=' doesn't it?[/quote']

D'oh. You're right, it does.

Aloha,

Brad

Geez, I hope they don't build outside of the city. The great thing about going to Toronto FC games is that you can walk to the stadium and the nearness of King and Front Streets, and the downtown location of BMO is the envy of most MLS teams that play in the 'burbs (I check out the MLS forums semi-regularly).

blah blah blah, yeah the location sucks, but why would Melnyk invest in anything not located on his property? Be thankful he's willing to invest in infrastructure period.

Why should I be thankful that he's building a stadium I'll likely never want to visit? Scotiabank Place is already a huge mistake so why continue to proceed down that path?