Jambands.ca

Stephen Harper's Speech this afternoon.

Ms.Huxtable

Did anyone catch it yet?

It may be the cold medication I'm on, but I actually connected with Harper for the first time since I saw his evil, ugly mug. There wasn't anything negative I could say about his campaign platform speech. I thought he did a great job.

Anyone who balances a home budget or the budget of a business could empathize with his platform statement I think.

PLEASE help me understand what wasn't to like about it. I wanted to watch it and hate it sooooo much.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really think there was anything in the platform that was 'promising the world'? not much promise there other than staying out of the red.

"No intention of delivering" - is that just speculation or do you have a psychic tap into the mind of Stephen Harper? ;)

"Stole much of what he said from other parties"

??? Canada can only be so big.

I agreed in priciple with him as well however I think the devil is in the omitted details. If construction is slumping and we are still looking at record surpluses (fingers crossed) than why is it wrong to invest in low cost housing for the poor, or for reserves for that matter. No mention of Aboriginal issues in the entire campaign from either of the top two parties, why?

Financially speaking Harper is an economist and he is very well read on his specialty... socially speaking he is anti-social.

Tax breaks a community do not make.

Although he did back off the cuts to arts finally and cheers to the party for doing so. They had been wrong but they've come to the light. :)

I think mainly because every economist in the country right now is telling people and governments alike the number one thing they need to do to be 'okay' is pay off your debt and keep money in reserves as a 'just in case' fund.

Tax-breaks give Canadians more ability to do just that.

I totally agree on the arts & culture move. Thank god. Margaret Atwood saying she'd vote Bloc in Quebec was like a kick in the teeth to the Libs and got way too much press for what it was.

L) ABORIGINAL AFFAIRS

72. Aboriginal Affairs Principles

The fundamental obligation of the federal government is to improve the living conditions of Aboriginal Canadians, including the Inuit, in terms of economic opportunity, health, education, and community safety.

The Conservative Party believes that the following principles should govern the administration of existing federal Aboriginal programs. These principles should also govern future legislative reform to the Indian Act and related legislation. They should also inform government decision making in the resolution of rights disputes – whether based upon existing treaties, court decisions or Section 35 of the Constitution Act:

i) The Need for a Legislated Framework for Federal Aboriginal Expenditures: The Parliament of Canada must develop legislation which governs the delivery of federal governmental programs to Aboriginal Canadians. Both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Canadians deserve to know the legislative basis upon which the Government of Canada is expending funds on Aboriginal health, education, social welfare and infrastructure. Legislation should be developed which governs such programs and which prescribes the standards of service which the federal government has undertaken to provide to aboriginal Canadians.

ii) Self Government – Legal and Democratic Authority: The Indian Act (and related legislation) should be replaced by a modern legislative framework which provides for the devolution of full legal and democratic responsibility to First Nations, including the Inuit, for their own affairs within the overall constitutional framework of our federal state.

Such legislative reform should be pursued following full consultation with First Nations, with the objective of achieving a full and complete devolution of democratic authority that is consistent with the devolution of other decision making responsibility within our federal system. First Nations like other Canadians, are entitled to enjoy democratic control over their own affairs within a legislative context that ensures certainty, stability, respect for the rule of law and which balances collective and individual responsibility.

First Nation communities must have the flexibility to determine for themselves, whether and how free market principles, such as individual property ownership should apply to reserve lands. Self government should be accomplished in a manner which takes into account the cultural and linguistic diversity of Canada’s First Nations. Within the context of the Canadian Constitution, we should be prepared to make flexible accommodations for the protection of language and culture within self-government agreements.

iii) Transparency: Both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Canadians are entitled to complete transparency and accountability in the expenditure of all public funds on aboriginal programs, services and inter-governmental transfers. Aboriginals, like other Canadians, must have ready access to police and judicial intervention to constrain and check any exercise of governmental authority (whether aboriginal or non-aboriginal) which is illegal, corrupt or an abuse of power.

iv) Respecting the Canadian Constitutional Framework: We are a nation governed by the Constitution Act, under which the rights of all citizens are protected and advanced by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Our future together as a country must be built upon the universal application of that framework.

All Aboriginal rights recognized under Section 35 of the Constitution must be conferred within the four square corners of the Constitution Act and the Charter, with full protection for equality rights, such as women’s rights, for both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Canadians. Future Aboriginal legislation, policies and programs must balance the collective rights of Aboriginal Canadians under Section 35 of the Constitution with the individual equality rights enshrined in the Charter – which protect all Canadians – whether Aboriginal or non-Aboriginal. Aboriginal Canadians are entitled to the full benefits of Canadian citizenship and the full protection of the Charter - in areas such as economic opportunity, the delivery of health services, community safety, women’s rights, respect for the rule of law, and the education and protection of children. Canada must develop in a manner that ensures constitutional equality and workability.

v) A Framework for the Settlement of Comprehensive Claims and Self Government Agreements: Settlement of all outstanding “comprehensive claims €? must be pursued on the basis of a clear framework which balances the rights of Aboriginal claimants with those of Canada – in particular, negotiated settlements must balance the economic and social needs of Aboriginal Canadians with Canada’s need for certainty and finality of terms. Self government agreements must reflect Canada’s need for both efficacy and practicality in institutional structure, and “constitutional harmony €? so as not to impede the overall governance of Canada.

vi) The Resolution of Existing Specific Claims and Lawsuits against the Federal Crown: The federal government should, as a priority, adopt measures to resolve the existing backlog of “specific €? claims so as to provide justice for Aboriginal claimants, together with certainty for Government, industry and non-Aboriginal Canadians. Institutional reform in the specific claim area should be pursued in a manner which resolves claims in a timely manner. The jurisdiction of the Federal Court should be expanded and the arbitrary ambit of the Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Minister and the Specific Claims Policy contracted to eliminate the inherent conflict of interest of the Federal Crown in the resolution of ‘specific claims’.

73. Land Title

i) The Conservative Party supports the development of a property regime that would encourage lending for private housing and businesses. This will promote economic opportunity and individual freedom.

ii) A Conservative Government, in conjunction with First Nations, would create a First Nations Land Ownership Act, which would transfer Reserve land title from the Federal Crown to willing First Nations.

74. Matrimonial Property

The Conservative Party supports, in conjunction with First Nations, the creation of a matrimonial property code to protect spouses and children in cases of marriage breakdown.

75. Educational Choice

The Conservative Party proposes where available and agreed to by all parties, including provincial authorities, to offer choice in schooling for First Nations.

PLEASE help me understand what wasn't to like about it. I wanted to watch it and hate it sooooo much.

Did he mention the cuts to the Arts?

I'll admit, they've really softened up Harper's image this time around. I was sympathetic to him during last week's leadership debate until it got to the Arts funding segment and he sat there like the cat who swallowed the mouse. He's still a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I'll admit, they've really softened up Harper's image this time around. I was sympathetic to him during last week's leadership debate until it got to the Arts funding segment and he sat there like the cat who swallowed the mouse. He's still a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Anyone who willingly sits there like he does in those stupid f'ing commercials while the music plays lightly in the background and he talks about sitting at the piano with his son who plays guitar is NOT to be trusted, ever. Ever.

Well I can tell you that he certainly picked an ideal time to present his economist platform. At a moment when recession is on the tip of everyone's tongue, I can appreciate the message of a country with a balanced budget and long term stability. I connected with the message that they anticipated the current state of the economy and made changes to the mortgage structures in anticipation of, not in response to the economic fall out. I also appreciated his lack of rhetoric.

Hux please don't hate me. ;) I'm still not voting Conservative, it's just that I have never seen sense in any conservative speech before and I'm astonished that I did today.

I connected with the message that they anticipated the current state of the economy and made changes to the mortgage structures in anticipation of, not in response to the economic fall out.

I dont know about that. The economic fallout was essentially at the spilling over the edge state by the time these changes were made. Not sure how he can make that claim.

If he was really that proactive I wouldnt have to be telling tens of people each day their mortgage cant be renewed.

He's a wolf for income trust and he coyly shrugged when Mansbridge mentioned it.

Platform... http://www.conservative.ca/?section_id=5317&section_copy_id=106960&language_id=0

"Open up the regulated airline and uranium mining sectors to allow increased foreign investment." This is a little frightening given the recent history of airlines and their responsibility to passengers... not to mention the risks of a privatising nuclear sector.

This seems to deal with Aboriginal issues although not very specifically "Establish a new stand-alone regional development agency for Northern Canada, and provide $10 million in funding." Interesting... "Provided $105 million over five years in the Aboriginal Skills and Employment Partnership initiative to ensure that Aboriginal Canadians receive skills and training that will lead to their increased participation in the workforce." Why haven't we heard more about this if it's been working?

"Reaffirm our commitment to northern pipeline development to bring our oil and gas to market."

Let's hope that McCain-Palin aren't listening too closely or they'll think the deals already done.

Anyone who willingly sits there like he does and [who] talks about sitting at the piano with his son who plays guitar is NOT to be trusted, ever.

Is it the instruments and/or gender that matter? What if he willingly had sat there like he did and talked about sitting at the pedal steel with his daughter who plays tenor sax?

Aloha,

Brad

Dion, in response to the Conservative platform,

The Liberals would consider suspending a current requirement that individuals withdraw and pay taxes on their Registered Retirement Income Funds when they turn 71, he said.

Dion said seniors should not be required "to withdraw savings at a time when the stock market is so low."

The Liberal leader also pointed to the possibility of increasing the $100,000-savings deposit insurance provided by the government. Dion declined to say by how much the coverage might be raised, saying he would need to consult experts.

My, my. Look who's governing by the polls now!

He's a wolf for income trust...

Bell Canada decided to convert to a trust - taking $800 million out of the federal government budget. Income trusts for big businesses are the friendly, legal version of tax evasion if you ask me. They promote unfair advantages and detract from a business' ability to innovate and yet still, have the public's sympathy. Because they benefit the shareholders? I'm mind-boggled.

Edited by Guest

Anyone who willingly sits there like he does and [who] talks about sitting at the piano with his son who plays guitar is NOT to be trusted' date=' ever.[/quote']

Is it the instruments and/or gender that matter? What if he willingly had sat there like he did and talked about sitting at the pedal steel with his daughter who plays tenor sax?

Aloha,

Brad

[color:purple]Yes brad, its the instuments and/or gender that matter. If he had said that he and his daughter spit out sick rhymes while his wife beat-boxes I would be totally sold on him.

The commercials are akin to Mr Burns' movie submission, "Will there ever be a rainbow".

Edited by Guest

The move on retirement RRSP conversion is supported by the Cons too.

Regarding the income trust move made by the Conservative party post election... I applaud it, it was absolutely necesary. The problem is that many of their votes came on the basis of a promise that was not kept, and they were the only party pre-election to hold that position therefore positioning themselves as the only alternative. Wolf in sheep's clothing. Fool me once.

Edited by Guest
'cause I was being reactionary

C'mon! In my twisted mind, I can almost blame the Liberals for this for keeping the CP out of government for so long as to not realize how much money we're actually talking about here. But i'm not that twisted, and yes I agree it was a broken promise.

But if you're going to drop lines like "Fool me once" over income trusts, what about the GST? That to me is the biggest broken promise I can recall in my voting career, the one that meant the most to Canadians, one committed by the Liberals. But whatever, i'm not going to stick it to them like i feel I should when they accuse others of breaking promises, because like income trusts, when you get to governing and you realize what kind of money these things offer your government, your position changes quickly. Very, very quickly.

I agree, which is why I'm not convinced by the Dion carbon tax, however, we need to change now. No t later, immediately. We have under both Liberal and Conservative governments made little if any progress on our emmission and pollution issues. And I will continue to drop lines like Cons drop funding until I see the politicians of Canada helping our bottom three quarters.

We agree on this too B... stop the war on drugs and re-write education policy to be more than inclusive but also anti-racist... or do we agree?

We definitely agree... which is pretty much why i'm so anti-strategic voting. I want a party like the Greens to get seats in the House, gain experience and be able to communicate their message amongst parliamentarians. I really like the Green platform, but I think there's a large part of it that would be in the least bit tweaked should they actually have governing experience to know what's possible and what's not. Existing as they are, I find their policy problematic and I'm left to identify more closing with the Conservatives, even if I disagree with them on some issues. I said elsewhere that feasibility is huge for me, I'm by no means an idealist. When it comes to anything and everything policy wise, my number one thing I think of is 'how will this relate to our economy?', in good times and bad. We've got a long way to go, I definitely agree, but unfortunately, and as our governing parties know all to well, nothing is overnight in this country, as much as our ideals would want it so.

My problem with his speech was that he kept on bringing up a lie of a position that said the other parties were changing their platform to suit the evening and morning news. What a sour sound byte that did no more than direct the attention away from his rather empty plan.

While it does take dedicated planing and unwaivering action to drive success, I didn't get much of an understanding of how Harper would create success in this country.

Instead of merely trying to cull an entirely failing economy Harper failed to plan long term actions to cultivate success and growth. This polarizes what the other platforms seem to aim to accomplish.

The lack of action years ago leading up to and including now have not come to fruition overnight although it feels like it now. Canadian Government and partisan politics have remained steadily malignant in their successes in fucking this country over. By not providing the support and opportunities for this country to be able to adapt to change quickly has left us in a state of crisis and leaving us to vote not to succeed but to vote in hopes of failing less in the short term.

Perhaps we need this guy to win again for us to realize what we could have begun to accomplish while we still had the money to work with.

Edited by Guest
Hare Grammar, Hare Grammar, Grammar Grammar, Hare Hare