Jambands.ca

I need opinions from animal lovers....

Ms Zimmy

Hey all...I know there are a few animal lovers here and was wondering if you could give me your opinion!

Living in Mexico is great in so many ways, but in one way that it is not is the treatment of animals.

Since I have been here, I've seen some really sad animals and I've had to make some really hard decisions.

They don't spay/neuter their pets so there are lots of strays. 3 weeks ago I found a very sick kitten on the street, about 3 weeks old. Her eyes were so infected, full of fleas and parasites and very dehydrated. This was on a busy street, people everywhere. We picked her up and brought her to the vet thinking that we would have to pay to put her down. (our house already had 2 strays). I ended up taking her home and nursing her back to health...it took 3 weeks and several trips to the vet.

Yesterday a friend brought over a box of kittens, their eyes not open yet. I guess the night before there were kids walking around trying to give them away, when no one took them, they left them on the garbage heap. They were freezing and scared and so hungry. I decided that I would nurse them back to health and then drop them off at the local humane society. I called them and asked what the chances that they would be adopted, they said no chance. No one adopts cats, they would probably put them down after being in there a few weeks. I had to make the choice to have them all put down because I can't take in 4 more cats.

So, my question is this, do you think that it is better to leave them, to possibly suffer until they die, but also might be picked up by someone who can take care of them OR to nurse them back to health and try to adopt them out, if I can't, drop them off at the humane society anyway...at least they have a chance, OR just bring them and have them put down?

What would you do?

I feel so terrible about the decision I had to make...but thinking about the shape of my cat when I found her, I feel like death is better then to suffer like my cat did...the vet said that she was probably alone a few days and would have died within 24 hours.

Sorry about the depressing story on a friday...

Esperanza...after her first bath.

221.jpg

549.jpg

390.jpg

Yes I have seen this many times in my travels abroad. I often threaten to send my dogs to Peru when their bad, telling them they don’t know how good they’ve got it.

All I can say is the old saying about change what you can and accepting what you can’t and knowing the difference between the two. We all can help a little and it looks like you are doing your part. This said you can’t help all the cats in Mexico, so sometimes you have to look the other way. If you spay or neuter a few stray cats a year You are doing more than your part.

awwwwwwwwwwwww I think you made the right choice, the kittens would have died and suffered a lot.

I just got a cat too, he's super expensive and I can really only take care of him...stupid vet bills!!!!!!!!

I understand how heart breaking it must have been to put down those kittens though...

ps ur kitty is ridiculously cute!!!!

Toughie. I've also had to make hard choices encountering foreign animal policy.

I think you should become the Mexican Cat Lady. You can become a legend and a saint all in one swoop.

Agreed. This is exactly how those crazy cat ladies get well known and make the papers. I would imagine that worklife and familylife would suffer immensely, but you'd be saving cats.

You are incredibly humane, and it takes great strength to do what you have done. 1 person can make a difference, but one person can't do it all, and certainly can't do it alone. You have made an incredible difference to five animals - you nursed one back to health, and gave her a good home; and you didn't allow four others to suffer any longer. Do not question your decision; you did a good thing.

What now, though? There are others, and some will end up on your doorstep again. Does it cost you to have them put down? Are you able to take another one in if you had financial help? I've wanted to adopt a cat for awhile now, but with the dog and Andre's (and friends') allergies, I have decided not to. Maybe you could foster one for me?

Thanks for all the kind words!

Financially I could take in 20 cats here in Mexico...vet bills are nothing like at home. When I took in my kitty (esperanza...."Hope" in English) I had to get her 2 kinds of eye drops, flea powder, parasite meds and it cost me just under $18. To have those 4 kittens put down cost me about $15.

We have taken in 3 cats...that's a lot of litter boxes to change :) I can't take in more.

There is a free spay and neuter clinic that I might volunteer at and maybe start bringing in strays...first I would have to catch them. If I come back with lots of scars all over, you'll know why :)

Thanks again for the kind words.