Jambands.ca

"Economic Update"

AD

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper will address Canadians in a nationally televised speech Wednesday night in an effort to make the Conservative case in the political manoeuvring now under way on Parliament Hill.

An official in Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's office said his party has asked the television networks to give equal time for an address by Dion.

The prime minister's move comes as Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean returns to Canada from a European tour and is expected to receive a request from Harper to suspend Parliament.

Jean has been kept up-to-date about the developing events that were sparked almost one week ago following the government's fiscal update and opposition moves to form a coalition with the support of the Bloc Quebecois.

They are vowing to defeat Harper's Conservatives in a confidence vote on Monday.

If Parliament is prorogued, it would likely reconvene just before the Conservatives table a budget on Jan. 27, giving the Tories nearly two months to conduct their anti-coalition campaign.

Typically, the Governor General grants the request as a matter of course at the end of a long Parliament, but Jean will be facing unprecedented circumstances, namely, the prospect of a government trying to suspend Parliament in the face of certain defeat.

If she does not grant his request and the government loses the confidence vote, then Jean will have to make another big decision - whether to send Canadians to the polls again or allow the unprecedented Liberal-NDP coalition to assume power.

The prime minister and Jean will likely meet soon after she is settled back in Ottawa.

On Wednesday morning, caucus meetings were taking place on Parliament Hill, where the parties were continuing to plan their strategies.

Senior Liberal MP Bob Rae made the case for the coalition to a business audience early Wednesday but he asserted "there is no crisis" on Parliament Hill. He offered assurances about the coalition and maintained it is perfectly legitimate.

"I have no doubt at all with the legitimacy of what we are doing and what we have done and what we hope to be able to do," said Rae, who is one of three Liberal leadership candidates hoping to replace Dion, who would lead the coalition until May 2 when a new Liberal leader is chosen.

"It's entirely legitimate. It's entirely constitutional. It's entirely Canadian. It's entirely within the framework of our Constitution, our way of life and our democracy. And I believe that very, very profoundly."

Rae also defended the coalition's use of the Bloc's support and said that, contrary to Tory assertions, the Bloc will not be part of the coalition government or get any Senate seats.

"Nor have they asked for any special concessions with respect to Quebec or any special concessions with respect to their own political position," Rae said. "None have been granted. None are there. None are in the document. Nor do they have a veto over anything. In fact they've given up a veto for 18 months because what they've said is for 18 months we're going to provide stability for this (coalition) government."

The Conservatives, who have launched a series of radio and television attack ads on the coalition, are accusing the Liberals of betraying their federalist principles by agreeing to demands from the Bloc Quebecois.

"This deal that the leader of the Liberal party has made with the separatists is a betrayal of the voters of this country, a betrayal of the best interests of our economy, a betrayal of the best interests of our country, and we will fight it with every means we have," Harper said in the House of Commons on Tuesday.

"The highest principle of Canadian democracy is that if one wants to be prime minister, one gets one's mandate from the Canadian people, and not from Quebec separatists."

But NDP Leader Jack Layton shot back that Harper himself was prepared to align himself with Gilles Duceppe and the Bloc Quebecois in 2004 when he was the opposition leader trying to bring down the government of Paul Martin.

"I didn't hear any of this high and mighty language and moral indignation from the prime minister when he signed a document along with myself and (Bloc Leader Gilles) Duceppe a few years ago," Layton said.

The Liberals challenged Harper to call a confidence vote.

"Every member of the House has received a mandate from the Canadian people to deliver a government that will face the economic crisis. The prime minister has failed. The prime minister does not have the support of the House anymore," Dion said.

"Will he allow a vote to test if he has really the confidence of the House, as it must be in a parliamentary democracy?"

Tuesday's question period was one of the most heated and explosive sessions ever seen between Harper and his opposition rivals.

The Conservative party also launched a new website at canadians4democracy.ca and was trying to organize various anti-coalition rallies across the country. Conservative activists are also being encouraged to call Liberal and NDP MPs to convince them to reconsider.

A group of supporters gathered outside the prime minister's residence Wednesday morning and on Thursday there is a rally planned at the Governor General's residence across the street.

In related news, I'll be addressing the leaders of all the political parties right now, below.

middle_finger.jpg

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, what the finger said! ;)

If parliament is suspended I doubt that the coalition will disolve.

There seems to be some worry from Canadians about Dion being Prime Minister if the coalition is granted governing power but it is without doubt that May 2nd he'll be gone and then Iggy or Rae will take over...

Harper keeps twisting words about the Canadian voters being betrayed, speaking like he has a majority government that's being overthrown. Why in gawd's name he didn't play his cards right, sit down and first hammer out a plan to deal with the economy with the other parties is a mystery...he would've come across as a true leader and also improve his political strength...

Layton is in a win/win situation no matter the outcome.

What right-minded caucus wouldn't turn against him? Gigs up buddy! There's no turning back now.

In a way though, I feel sorry for him, as I'd feel sorry for anyone who ruined their entire career with one false move. Like i feel sorry for goalies on hockey teams letting in game winning goals in do or die series, when my team scored the game winning goal.

It's all very sad - everything. The demise of Harper, the frustration of the CP, the what the fuck are the Liberals doing, the power grab of the NDP and the sell-out of the Bloc. While people are supportive of the coalition because of their want to get rid of the CP, really, they should have nothing to be proud of. Noone in this situation is better than the other. I third AD's finger.

I'm in a weird place right now... I find my heart softening a little bit towards the whole situation. Softening not because I support a coalition, but softening because there's not really anything I can do about... the cards are on the table and whatever happens is going to happen. Which is sad, because in a democracy, if we were a democracy, I wouldn't ever think it would come down to saying 'whatever happens is going to happen'.

I want Harper to fire Flaherty and subsequently resign.

Ideally, what I'd want is for the age old rift between the conservatives and the liberals to disappear and for the majority of them to realize what so many of us have already realized, that they're almost one in the same. Get rid of the right-right and the left-left and we could have a moderate government who actually accomplishes something, rather than sleeps with one eye open, constantly on edge of opposition's attacks. I'd feel good about such a party.

In this situation, I have no idea what I want. It's too hard to say. I don't want a coalition, and I don't want an election. Ideally, probably, i'd want the Opposition to accept what the Conservatives have ceded, and I'd want them to stop making it out to be all of us, against one of him. I like Jim Prentice. I like Peter McKay. There are good people behind Harper. I know Harper fucked up and I understand the whole lack of confidence in government, but I understand that lack of confidence to be wholly invested in Harper, not necessarily the Conservative party. But when Harper rules his party with an iron fist, I don't know.

This situation is fucked.

you want another election?

The choice isn't any better; it's worse as all the "leaders" have shown just how low they can go or the price for their souls...

We (jambanders & canadians ;) ) all know we live in a great country but really, are any one of these so called "leaders" worthy or reflect the qualities of our country? My answer is no, not even close.

This would indicate he wants a snap election, using tonight's speech to sway a majority government. That's quite a few votes he has to sway if he's going to run against a coalition who will most certainly stay together if an election is called.

Or it indicates that he wants to explain why he's pushing for prorogation. Or why he doesn't want to deal with the economy. Or why he's a douche. Or why the other three leaders are douches. Or why...........

And why would the three opposition parties 'most certainly stay together if an election is called?' they're not going to run against each other???????? that seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there in the deep end.

If a snap election is called and the coalition disbands, it would show there was never any unity or common ground that they want us to believe at this time.

They would probalby tweak their 18 month agreement and take on the Conservatives as there would be a better chance that their voters would stick with them as their party would be governing, in some form, with the two other parties.

Remember Layton was hinting at a coalition before the election which Dion was not open to. Now that the three parties have entered in to this coalition, to jump ship if a snap election is called, could very well give Harper his majority.

Well, the Bloc wouldn't be part of it as they are only claiming to support the coalition.

There would be the coalition of the Libs & NDP, which what Layton wanted before October 14, The Bloc, The Green, oh yeah, and the Conservatives.

At the moment the latest spin the Conservatives are putting on the coalition is by referring to it as "The Separatist Coalition"...

not really answering my question. in my riding, there would be the Cons and

a) both a NDP and Liberal candidate, or

B) One 'Coalition' candidate

?

Forget the ridiculousness of nominating candidates, funding, Election Law for a moment and just address the top question please... :)

Well, I can't really answer that question because we haven't been taken there yet, if we get taken there because of a snap election. I was simply speculating given on what Layton was trying for before October 14th, which was a coalition with the Liberals.

If a snap election is called what is happening at this moment will pale in comaprison as to what we'll see from all parties as they battle it out once again.

well, pre-October 14 means nothing to me because things are so vastly different to me now.

I don't think a Coalition can run in an election as a coalition, for the reasons I stated above. How could a local Liberal Riding Association nominate a Liberal to run against a NDP when they are in cahoots? Conversely, how could the NDP and Liberal Riding Associations come to an agreement (nevermind it probably being against Riding / party constitutions) as to who would run? What about the rank and file of the party who don't agree with this?

This is all off the top of my head while on a conference call for work, so apologies if it's not all fleshed out, but it's the tip of the iceberg I believe........

Can-o-phish, I know you follow your local scene in Guelph fairly closely (or maybe i am confusing you with someone else, apologies if that is the case), are people at the local level having any of the concerns that I just wrote about, or is it too soon?