Jambands.ca

"Economic Update"

AD

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the disembodied voice on The Current this morning had a good one too.

(slightly paraphrased)

"Stephen Harper says the Coalition wants to take power without your say, without your consent, and without your vote. So he is asking the Governor General to suspend Parliament without your say, without your consent, and without your vote."

I was just thinking that Baird was a pretty crafty speaker... and then he went and said that they were "going to go over the heads" of the parliamentarians and the governor general... not very crafty after all.

and then he says he want s to make the minority parliament work... these fuckheads don't get it at all.

Speaking of conspiracy theories, how's this...

The Cons & the PQ have secretly planned this current situation and when the coalition takes over, the PQ don't support the coalition, the Libs & NDP crash, burn & disintegrate and all that's left are the Cons & PQ...oh yeah, and the Green Party ;)

Harper being from Alberta will let the PQ separate and have their own country, Harper will be King of The Great West Strong & Free and the maritimes will become part of New England...

9:30 AM ET; Stephen Harper arrives at Rideau Hall.

9:31 AM ET; Stephen Harper enters the side door after briskly waving to journalists from a distance.

9:32 AM ET; After passing his coat to an aide, Mr. Harper proceeds inside the mansion.

Governor General - "Steve! Good morning! Eggs. I'm having eggs. Would you like some eggs Stephen? And bacon... wonderful. Would you like some bacon Stephen? Oh, silly, of course you would..."

and they laughed until well close to noon...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/04/harper-jean.html

GG agrees to suspend Parliament: PMO

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean has agreed with a request from Stephen Harper to suspend Parliament, the Prime Minister's Office told CBC News, a move that avoids a confidence vote set for Monday that could have toppled his minority government.

The announcement on Thursday comes after a two-hour meeting with Jean at Rideau Hall in which he asked her to prorogue, or suspend, the current parliamentary session until the end of January, when the Tories plan to table a budget.

A no-confidence vote could have precipitated the rise of a Liberal-NDP coalition. If the Governor General had refused the prime minister's request, she could have called an election had the Conservatives lost the no- confidence vote. Or she could have allowed the proposed Liberal-NDP coalition to govern if the no-confidence vote was successful.

But the decision to suspend parliament only gives the Tories a reprieve until late January, when they plan to table a budget that could set them up for a no-confidence vote.

Harper waved to onlookers after his limousine arrived at Rideau Hall at 9:30 a.m ET Thursday. He was greeted by about 40 chanting supporters, including Conservative staffers. A single anti-Harper demonstrator stood waving a sign reading "Harper Must Go."

Harper has pledged to use "every legal means" to prevent a Liberal-NDP coalition government, backed by the Bloc Québécois, from taking power.

Making his case

Harper's visit comes a day after he took to the airwaves to make his case that his government should remain in power.

In a five-minute, pre-recorded statement Wednesday night, Harper spoke bluntly against a proposed Liberal-NDP coalition backed by "separatists," saying the federal government must stand unequivocally for keeping the country together in the face of the global economic crisis.

Jean returned to Ottawa on Wednesday after cutting short a two-week trip to Europe.

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion, who would head the proposed coalition, said he sent a letter to Jean on Wednesday, urging her to reject any attempt by Harper to prorogue Parliament.

Dion responded to Harper's address with his own taped rebuttal in which he defended the notion of a proposed coalition government "as normal and current practice in many parts of the world."

The Conservatives have lost the confidence of the majority of members of the House of Commons — largely because of their, in the opposition's view, inadequate reaction to Canada's financial crunch — and thus, "have lost the right to govern," Dion said.

Economic statement lambasted

The coalition sprang up after the Tories released an economic statement that was lambasted by the opposition parties.

They accused Harper of doing nothing to address the current economic crisis and slammed what they saw as ideologically driven measures such as the proposed elimination of subsidies for political parties, a three-year ban on the right of civil servants to strike and limits on the ability of women to sue for pay equity.

Harper has since backed down on those contentious issues, but the opposition has pushed forward with the coalition.

The coalition — which would have a 24-member cabinet composed of six NDP and 18 Liberal MPs — has vowed to make an economic stimulus package a priority, proposing a multibillion-dollar plan that would include help for the auto and forestry sectors.

With 77 Liberal MPs and 37 New Democrats, plus the support of 49 Bloc members, the three parties have more seats than the 143 held by the Tories.

harper gets his wish. brutal

Yes, this is brutal indeed. He's a chicken-sh!t spineless coward who is trying to run and hide to save his own ass instead of trying to save the collective asses of Canada!

To prorogue parliament at the BEGINNING of a session shows how screwed up his government is and now sets a very dangerous precedent for future governments.

"A men less worthy to be Prime Minister I cannot imagine" Bob Rae on Stephen Harper just a few minutes ago.

Still waiting to hear if there are any conditions. Why was he in there for 90 minutes if she said yes?

This is unbelievable. My respect for Harper has gotten even lower than I imagined possible.

Harper is about to speak...

Since I don't entirely understand prorogue, can someone explain it to me? Does this mean that in this time when we really, really need something to get done, everything is put on hold until the end of january? Or is it not that bad, and why don't any of us have a say in it? I guess that would mean another election.

Also, if the whole financial crisis can wait until january to be dealt with then what's the big deal anyway? Doesn't seem like much of an emergency if we can just put it off for a couple months like that...

Do you think his ass is saved? I don't. It better not be. I wonder what's going on inside of camp Conservative these days.

To overthrow government at the BEGINNING of a session shows how screwed up this system is too. And then to further that by forming a coalition that must rely on separatists to hold it together sets a very dangerous precedent for future governments.

This is a lose, lose, lose situation whichever way it fell.

I have a question reading some of the comments on here...

What do you guys think Harper should have done?

If he didn't prorogue, do you think he should have pushed for an election?

Obviously he's not going to sit back and let the coalition come to fruition (thank god) (which is much more undemocratic in my opinion), so what other option did he have?

Edited by Guest

Does this mean that in this time when we really, really need something to get done, everything is put on hold until the end of january?

yup - that's what it means

Also, if the whole financial crisis can wait until january to be dealt with then what's the big deal anyway? Doesn't seem like much of an emergency if we can just put it off for a couple months like that...

well, I don't think that it is best for our country to wait until January, but we no longer have a choice.

And now it likely that there will be vote of no confidence on Jan 26, so it'll take even longer. Either until the coalition takes over as the gov't, or we have another election.