Jambands.ca

It's Official - TicketBastard going to court

Schwa.

I'm still confused. Of course it wouldn't be worth it for one person to sue, that's why class action exists.

If the court decides that convenience charges are illegal to arbitrarily add on to a ticket and I can just sit here and do nothing and get back all the convenience charges I've paid to ticketbastard in the last two years, in what concievable way is that not worth it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still confused. Of course it wouldn't be worth it for one person to sue, that's why class action exists.

If the court decides that convenience charges are illegal to arbitrarily add on to a ticket and I can just sit here and do nothing and get back all the convenience charges I've paid to ticketbastard in the last two years, in what concievable way is that not worth it?

Having not participated in Class Actions before, I would presume that "sit here and do nothing" will involve more in the long run. At the very least I would think they'd need to have a meeting with them wherein you provide back up for the tickets etc. you bought and swear some evidence etc. Maybe not.

I just spoke with Luciana Brasil and she told me that the convenience fee and venue surcharges and even the "print the tickets yourself" fee in their opinion is selling a ticket over face value. She suggested I fill out the form on their page, and where it says "what concert did you buy tickets for" I should write how many tickets I've bought since February 2007.

I'm still confused. Of course it wouldn't be worth it for one person to sue' date=' that's why class action exists.

If the court decides that convenience charges are illegal to arbitrarily add on to a ticket and I can just sit here and do nothing and get back all the convenience charges I've paid to ticketbastard in the last two years, in what concievable way is that not worth it? [/quote']

Having not participated in Class Actions before, I would presume that "sit here and do nothing" will involve more in the long run. At the very least I would think they'd need to have a meeting with them wherein you provide back up for the tickets etc. you bought and swear some evidence etc. Maybe not.

Although it can vary, as everything in law can, it is generally only the representative plaintiff who is subject to examination for discovery or even cost consequences. (There is actually also a fund set up to help with those costs, but it is very cumbersome to access and as a result very underused.)

Everyone else gets more or less a free-ride, although they will likely need to speak to counsel a bit, especially if they are creating various sub-classes into which they have to be divided. They could have some other small involvement over time, but not much apart from giving some proof that they fall into a class or sub-class.

That said, never be a representative plaintiff. At least one American judge has made pretty funny comments about anyone who would subject him/herself to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Luciana Brasil called me this afternoon to make sure I had filled out the online form. Looks like the case has worked south of the border. I think people are kinda crazy to not get in on this.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/02/24/ticketmaster-suit.html#socialcomments

B.C. lawyer in $500M Ticketmaster suit calls U.S. deal 'encouraging'

But no compensation for Canadian plaintiffs yet, she says

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 | 3:16 PM ET Comments23Recommend16CBC News

A lawyer representing Canadians in a class action suit filed in Ontario against Ticketmaster welcomed the company's decision to reimburse U.S. customers who were charged inflated prices for concert tickets.

Luciana Brasil of Branch McMaster in Vancouver also told CBC News that more civil suits in Manitoba and Alberta are likely to be filed soon against the ticketing and artist management company but did not specify when.

Brasil's comments come a day after Ticketmaster and the state of New Jersey reached a settlement following an investigation over whether the company broke state laws by charging allegedly inflated prices for a Feb. 2 Bruce Springsteen concert.

Fans complained that initial attempts to buy tickets to the New Jersey concert simply redirected them to a Ticketmaster subsidiary, TicketsNow, which offered the tickets at an inflated price.

Monday's settlement requires the firm to halt a previous advertising arrangement that had customers Googling Ticketmaster being automatically directed to the TicketsNow website. It will also pay the state $350,000 US for costs related to the investigation and reimburse the 2,000-odd customers who complained about being overcharged.

"It's really encouraging to hear that Ticketmaster is removing the web links to TicketsNow and is prepared to refund the higher prices paid to customers in the U.S.," Brasil told CBC Monday. "But to my understanding, there is no compensation being made available to Canadians."

Lawyers from Sutts, Strosberg in Windsor, Ont., and Branch McMaster say they're representing a client who allegedly paid more than $500 for two tickets from TicketsNow that would have cost about $130 if they had been available from Ticketmaster.

The law firms claim Ticketmaster and the other defendants owe a total of $500 million in damages to their client and others who were overcharged in the past two years. They also allege the defendants violated Ontario law. Ticketmaster has said in response to prior complaints that the company's ticket-selling system is fair and doesn't violate the law.

FROM ANOTHER BOARD:

"they didn't when i worked there. ticketmaster actually had all of ticketsnow's ip addresses blocked so we couldn't order tickets from the office. they had about 10,000 people throughout the country that would get an email on friday night for what tickets were going on sale the next morning and what tickets(certain sections/rows/etc.) they(ticketsnow) wanted and would pay usually broken down into a scale like they would pay 5% over face for these sections, 10% for these sections, and 15% for these. then people would be trying for tickets saturday with the rest of us. but they had 10,000 instead of you having your mom and brother helping you. but there are hundreds of other brokers doing the same thing for the same shows and games and after that they all list the tickets they have to sell on a master broker trading site. so ticketsnow.com at the time was listing tickets they personally had, plus any other tickets being sold in the aftermarket throughout the country on their site. if they sold the tickets that someone else actually owned, they had already tacked a standard 30% markup and then call and buy the tickets from owner and drop ship them to you.

now days i have no idea what they are doing. i can't believe that ticketmaster bought them. they hated brokers when i worked at ticketsnow."

Ontario attorney general to investigate TicketMaster

Last Updated: Sunday, March 1, 2009 | 4:30 PM ET The Canadian Press

There's more bad legal news for Ticketmaster, which is already facing two class actions in Canada and just settled a costly fight with Bruce Springsteen and his fans.

The Canadian Press has learned Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General is looking into the sale and pricing of tickets for entertainment and sporting events in the province.

A source close to Attorney General Chris Bentley says the minister "is exploring options right now to address mounting concerns about access to tickets and the cost of tickets."

The source says the attorney general wants to make sure families are being treated fairly when they buy tickets to concerts or other events.

It's not known whether those options would include legislation or a formal investigation into the sale and resale of tickets.

Bentley is expected to have more to say on the matter when he meets with reporters following Monday's question period at the Ontario legislature.

Ticketmaster had to change the way it sells tickets online after a widespread backlash over allegedly inflated prices for Bruce Springsteen concert tickets.

More than 2,000 fans complained about their attempts to buy tickets online to a Feb. 2 Springsteen concert in New Jersey. The site redirected them to a subsidiary, TicketsNow, which offered the tickets at an inflated price.

In a settlement with the state of New Jersey, Ticketmaster will have to pay the state $350,000 US to settle costs associated with the state's investigation of the matter.

Soon after, two law firms in Canada launched class actions against Ticketmaster and related parties in Ontario.

They say their clients also bought tickets at inflated prices from TicketsNow after first being turned away by Ticketmaster.

The law firms allege Ticketmaster and the other defendants owe a total of $500 million in damages to those who were overcharged.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/03/01/ticketmaster-ontario.html

• 4 weeks later...

Ontario attorney general to bring in legislation on ticket overpricing

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 | 9:14 AM ET Comments55Recommend38CBC News

Ontario's attorney general has pledged to introduce legislation to protect consumers from overpriced tickets for entertainment and sporting events in the province after a fury last month over resale prices on Ticketmaster's affiliated website, TicketsNow.

Chris Bentley told CBC News that Ticketmaster has offered some assurances to prevent the resale of tickets on TicketsNow, but company executives weren't prepared to go far enough to meet his demands.

"We'll be drafting legislation to deal with these issues concerning access and pricing when tickets are issued and then turn up on the resale market," he said Monday.

The Ontario government launched a probe of Ticketmaster's sales and pricing practices after CBC News first reported that tickets for a Leonard Cohen concert in Toronto were being sold for several times their face value on TicketsNow before they went on sale on Ticketmaster.

Ticketmaster has been hit with four lawsuits in Canada. They allege the company violated anti-scalping legislation in three provinces, including Ontario. None of the allegations has been proven in court.

Ticketmaster insists it has done nothing illegal.

Admitted no wrongdoing

In February, the company reached a settlement with the attorney general of New Jersey to compensate Bruce Springsteen fans who paid inflated prices for concert tickets.

The company admitted no wrongdoing, but agreed to pay $350,000 to the state of New Jersey and to compensate ticket holders to a Springsteen show who were redirected to TicketsNow.

Bentley said Ticketmaster executives insist they've stopped pre-sales on TicketsNow and are not diverting their own tickets to the resale market to make a bigger profit.

"I asked them to go one step further," he said.

Bentley said he wanted Ticketmaster to block the resale of tickets on TicketsNow for concerts in Ontario the way it has in Alberta and Manitoba, but the executives said no.

Bentley wouldn't discuss details of the legislation, or whether he wants TicketsNow shut down altogether. He promised the legislation will come soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2009/03/24/ticketmaster-bentley.html

i dont think the AG could do any of this "easily", but my understanding is that laws regulating the resale of tickets allow them to intervene into transactions for events in Ontario, or events elsewhere that contractually involve at least one party from Ontario (buyer or seller). realistically, i do not think anyone cares about an ontarian buying a ticket for an american show from an american, but technically you were (presumably) in ontario when you entered into what is argued to be an illegal contract (sale above face). of greater concern are events that take place in ontario and sellers from ontario. now that said, ive never understood how "ticket agencies" (scalpers) get around this. they never seem to be charged.