Jambands.ca

Lobster

bouche

When you are going to use lobster for a meal, how do you go about it? Do you toss it in boiling water, or bring it to a boil slowly so it doesn't catch on, or do you simply just do it the chef's way and take it out with a quick move of the knife?

Depends what Im doing but if I have boil lobster(s) it must be done in Court Bouillon. The only time you should stab a lobster in the head to kill it is if you intend to extract the raw meat. Boiling already dead lobster is not a good thing. The meat is so rubbery. When you get live lobster and I know this might sound crazy but the first thing you should do is cut the bands off the claws. Live lobster that reaches Ontario for sale in a store is minimum 3 days out of the water already maybe even up to 5 if it seems sluggish when you handle it. After that many days the claw meat is dead and shrivels up inside when cooked, so do you best to save what you can. Also I find the best way to store them for the short while you have it and if you dont have a salt water tank, is to surround them in ice and lay a dark, damp cloth over them. The ice and dark help to keep them alive that much longer.

So what you're saying M.O.B.E is that we shouldn't take them out of the bag and let our dog play with them for 20 minutes before we cook them?

Well if thats your thing than by all means...go for it! Im 100% behind playing with your food ;) even if it is the dog playing with it.

i was following a method by tom colicchio that involved taking apart the lobster to cook the claws and tails in advance of making a lobster fettuccine. I used the body to make a lobster stock for the sauce. it came out wonderfully.

I ate a killer 2.5 pounder in New Brunswick last week, one of the people I was with traded me her lobster's tail for one of my lobster's claws, so it was quite the feast.

The wholesale price is under $5 for the first time in 25 years, yet this price isn't lowering the price at most restaurants (bandits!).

I haven't checked the asian seafood shop on Somerset lately, but did you guys get a good deal? I would hope they're below 8$/lb at least...?

Oh...and no one seriously reccomends putting them in luekwarm water and slowly turning up the heat do they?

...one more thing, I read a story about one of Trudeau's trip to Cuba where when snorkeling with Castro he grabbed a live lobster ripped a claw off, squeezed lime juice on the meat and ate it raw...

did you guys get a good deal? I would hope they're below 8$/lb at least...?

Yup under $8 in Chinatown

...one more thing, I read a story about one of Trudeau's trip to Cuba where when snorkeling with Castro he grabbed a live lobster ripped a claw off, squeezed lime juice on the meat and ate it raw...

Rockstar!

The wholesale price is under $5 for the first time in 25 years, yet this price isn't lowering the price at most restaurants (bandits!).

Actually the wholesale price hasnt filtered down to us(restaurants) yet. I just got a fresh seafood price guide emailed to me 5 minutes ago from GFS and the live price is still the same. Frozen tails from the Bahamas are still the same. I have the Sysco commodity news from this week too and still no change or even mention of the pricing from they yet either. It takes a few weeks for the prices to filter down our way unless the restaurant is getting special deliveries flown in strait off the docks. Those are the two main/largest food distrubters in Ontario.

Being that Im the Executive Chef of a Steak and Seafood House, I can't wait for the price to come down for me. I'll have lobster all over my menu.

Seafood MARKET Update...check out your insider for more!

Shrimp

• Large size black tigers- price is holding firm and product is difficult to come by right now. Asian ponds will be harvesting black tigers in May for arrival mid to late July.

Dover Sole

• Substantial price decreases over the course of the last month, please make sure that you do not

pass on any orders and be aware that a lot of our competitors sell a 10kg case as opposed to a

25lb case.

King Crab

• Please take note of some significant price decreases within the past two weeks.

• The Russian king crab season is about to open and supply on all sizes should be good.

Dungeness Crab

• Whole dungeness crab- season will not open until June, we will be in an out of stock position once

our existing inventory is depleted until the season opens and pricing is favourable.

Halibut

• We are about one month into the season presently with still the majority of the catch going towards

the fresh market. GFS is still in a favourable inventory position on all sizes of fletches- please do

not pass on any business.

• Pricing on fletches is expected to go down in late May to early June.

• There has been a glut on the market of 60-80lb halibut within the coarse of the past month, please

be aware of this and be on the lookout for competitors pushing this size.

Lobster

• Cuban Lobster tails are now in moratorium with no fishing allowed until late July, because of slow

sales with the economic downturn, inventories remain good.

Edited by Guest

Interesting, sounds similar to gas prices, ie. prices don't come down until the supply bought at at the previous high price are used up...although I'm sure someone's filling their pockets along the line.

Fisherman on the east coast are practically giving them away and begging for gov't assistance.

On second thought, the fact that I see a discussion about lobster prices and my first thought is "that is an excellent example of backwardation in practice" makes me realize that I'm either not having enough sex or just not getting out enough generally.

Sigh. Ask me if I want a time machine.

I boiled up a couple of big lobsters on Saturday night!

Thanks for court bouillon suggestion- it really added a depth of flavour that was awesome! I threw a little Old Bay seasoning in to the boil.

I infused the butter with some tarragon and served it with braised fennel and "drunk" asparagus (bloody caeser dosed asparagus) and some bbq'ed potatoes.

Amazing meal. $8.99/lb for big lobsters at Sobeys! Not a steal, but well worth it!