Jambands.ca

My Bonnaroo Trip- Review et al.

Northern Wish

Bonnaroo 2009

My trip technically started with a visit to Jones Beach to see two Phish shows, and then to Connecticut to spend a quiet steak filled birthday with my brother. I was dozing off after the meal and the 5-0 rout the Wings laid on the Pens when my phone rang. It was my travel partner Dave Mayne who had scored a ride out of Great Woods to a highway stop in CT. My thoughts of a nice 10 hour sleep were dashed and I headed out to pick him up at the Pilot Gas Station Exit #41 at midnight. He arrived at 1am and though tired as all hell we were off. He had just returned from a year in Taiwan so his tales of travel and teaching kept me wide awake till we hit West Virginia and pulled off the road to sleep for a few hours in the truck. We woke up on Sunday morning around 8 and put the pedal back to the metal. After a very long day we made it to the staff camping area around 8pm and got all checked in.

We found out that somehow we had managed to climb near the top of the volunteer totem pole by virtue of my volunteer coordinator job with the Folk Festival. We had secured roles as Volunteer Troubleshooters (basically running last minute missions for the AC/ Superfly Entertainment Admin Team). We got all of our credentials in order and set up camp- bed time was a raging 10:15 after one luke warm Coors Light.

Monday morning we woke to a gorgeous sunrise shrouded in fog and a near empty site. The daylight allowed us to see we were about the first 500 or so people there, that NOTHING except for the permanent foundations and the main stage were up. It was the calm before the storm and we were giddy just to be able to envision what was about to be built (“With love and trust and friends and hammers- we’re gonna build something this summer!â€).

Monday through Wednesday went like this: wake up at 8, walk to the admin compound for 8:30 to start “workâ€, do whatever was asked of us for about 10 to 12 hours (we pitched in extra hard to make sure we got these plum jobs again next year)- which included delivering meals to staff and volunteers around the site, signing in arriving volunteers, handing out staff t-shirts and general logistics (clearing areas of people as the heavy equipment rolled in). Each day we got closer and closer to the heads of the fest as we literally were the management teams yes men; we’d head off in our golf carts at any request and it would be done before they knew they had asked us. A good way to handle things as the final day of work on Thursday was met with “You guys are super volunteers, you deserve the rest of the fest off- Have fun!â€

All told we had worked 32 hours over three days (about 10 hours of real work and 22 hours of sitting around waiting for something to do and getting baked) and had earned a $250 ticket, prime camping, free hot showers, staff entrance access and $100 in vendor food each- not to mention they fed and watered us the entire three days of work with three full meals and endless water and ice.

There was so much to see, do and experience this is going to be a quick hitter list. As anyone who has ever been will tell you, you have to miss a lot of great music to see those acts that are highlighted on your schedule.

Thursday:

We watched the cars pull in and our massive festival grounds turn from green grass and clear roads into full on tent rock city. I was lucky enough to have met Jim Pollock earlier in the morning (who was awesome and signed autographs, took pics with us and gave us a huge hug on our departure) and he gave us the tip on the poster on sale time for the limited run Phish and Roo poster. We got in line at 12, at 12:05 I got posters 227 and 228 out of 330 and at 12:09 they were gone. Great success!

White Rabbits- great way to kick off my Roo. If you like Radiohead or Plants and Animals you will love this band. They raged it pretty good as we watched the storm approaching. Which hit hard and fast…… Torrential rain and I had to head for shelter of camp. But I am glad I ventured back out as I longed for The Low Anthem.

The Low Anthem- I love these guys, great Americana music featuring wonderful harmonies and a very basic equipment setup. If you like SMMD you will like The Low Anthem.

Midnite- a good mid tempo reggae band, a nice surprise and definitely a great vibe to send me off to sleep at around 1:30am.

Friday

It was a miracle that on Thursday we had relocated out tents onto the yard of an abandoned house in our camping area complete with shelter and shade and yet still right next to my car, only a 10 minute walk to the front of the main stage. We woke up dry from the storm and cool from the shade (I’ve never made a sleep in past 8am at these fests and was lucky enough at the Roo to sleep well past 11 for three straight days).

Meeting people we knew who were there was proving to be frustrating and damn near impossible with 30-40 minute delays on texts, so we gave up and made many new friends (at this point all of our neighbors had been together for nearly 4 full days so we were gelling quite nicely).

The Itals- great old school edgy reggae by a full 12 piece replete with custom suits and a seemingly huge following. Great surprise.

Dirty Projectors- drew me in to the text with a sweet sound of the indie rock variety. I was glad I stopped in when David Byrne took the stage with them for the song Dirty Pool (Byrne curated this stage and all the acts were hand picked by him). This was the strongest performance I saw all weekend by someone I had never heard.

Animal Collective- a huge disappointment for me. I’ve heard raves about their live show, but in the hot bright sun it just fell flat for me. But that was ok as I got to head to the small Sonic Stage and see….

Patterson Hood and the Screwtopians- acoustic set, wicked Hood music as you might expect if you’ve ever been hypnotized by this man.

It was brutally hot and I was holding onto energy for Phish later so I skipped most of the next 3 hours…..

Al Green- lit me and the What stage up. Fantastic set of deep south soul, complete with roses being tossed into the crowd. A true gem- go see him at Jazz Fest Otowners!

Beastie Boys- wow terrible disappointment. Not what I was in the mood for and I walked away after only 5 songs. Even Nas couldn’t get me to stick around.

David Byrne- so awesome it hurt. He played everything I wanted to hear and I was getting a left right combo at every turn. Top 5 shows of the fest for sure.

Phish- y’all know me and my love for the boys from Vermont so I won’t bore you with details, but it was a solid ass Phish set. YEM>Wilson>YEM anyone?!

The only lowlight of my trip took place during the Phish set as I saw a kid running past about 30 yards in front of me in a Penguins jersey pumping his fists and freaking out. I knew the Wings had lost the Cup and it took me a few minutes to gather myself and get back into the 2001.

Girl Talk- I was really looking forward to this, but my intake of ‘things’ is not what it used to be so I actually went home to camp to bed. What I heard was not great imo, but I was a zombie.

Saturday

This day was even hotter than Friday, I slept in till 11:30 and immediately packed up the backpack (staff entrance meant I could bring ANYTHING in with me and we took full advantage of that). Saturday was all good, I mean seriously this is who I saw in this order with a full backpack of beer, rum and endless chicken souvlakis:

Jimmy Buffet- pretty great first Buffett show for me, he did every tune I wanted to hear

Alejandro Escovedo- love this man, this legend and live was spot on

Allen Toussaint- WOW!

Booker T and the DBT’s- great mix of DBT, BT and the collaboration album; solid set.

Raphael Saadiq- never heard this before but loved the deep groove.

Wilco- pretty standard Wilco set, nothing out of the ordinary-although as predicted they played a bunch of new tunes and more than a few Summerteeth songs.

Elvis Costello- I am on the Elvis train. This guy is fun, legendary and talented beyond belief and the slot was just right as the heat had passed and I was getting drunk for my fav of all time:

BRUUUUCE- a great Bruce show, my 15th and totally satisfying. Even those who went in with me as doubters were converted. He opened with Badlands fer Christ sakes, if that doesn’t move you nothing will.

I gave Bruce my all and was treated on the way out by a wild group from Georgia who had “the best time of our lives watching you get down to Bruce, thanks dude- that was fucking amazing!â€. And the rest as they say is history as he gave me a nice gift.

Moe.- And what a gift it was.... Moe. absolutely tore the place down. They were scheduled to play from 1 to 4am but by them time 6am rolled around they were still going. Plane Crash was one of the best jams I have seen in years and they did a set blender set break with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals which was epic to say the least. Another Top 5 set of the weekend (and the light show wasn’t bad either ;-) )

Sunday

“Get it together Taylor, it’s the last day.†That’s how it all started when Dave and I emerged from out tents at around noon. Took the final shower, ate the last of the canned tuna and Cliff bars and set out for some lattes and cinnamon buns. When we realized we had been on site for a full 7 days exuberance got the best of us, and we dove full on into our last 40 or so beers. Kids were getting desperate for cash I bought a 40 pounder of rum and whiskey for only $5 each. That is what they call in writing foreshadowing…….

Brett Dennen- I know he is destined for the cheeseball fratty John Mayer crowd, but man what a fun show. Think Jack Johnson fronting Paul Simons Graceland band- and a great showman taboot!

Okervill River- One of the bands I wanted to see the most and they did not disappoint. Neither did finally hooking up with AD and planning our night. Great crowd interacting with a band who clearly appreciated it. Top 5 set of the weekend.

Merle Haggard- only caught the last couple of songs, but it was good enough to tell my dad I had seen Merle (one of his all time favs).

A quick dash back to camp to pick up the rest of the beer, ice and mix for the evening and I managed to get back to hear the remaining Band of Horses set. I love their music and their set was no difference. Tight and melodic- just great all around.

Drum Roll Please……..

Phish- yes Phish is back, Trey is on fire, the sound was great and it was the old stage set up. But what was to come could not have even been imagine in even my most wonderful of dreams. When Trey called Bruce out, I nearly collapsed then pumped my fists, screamed and smiled like I never have before. My finest concert moment of all time, possible never to be topped. I felt like pulling a Costanza at setbreak and just leaving on top. To see my two favorites of all time on stage together was something so special it took me to another level (the rum, rye, jello shooters, jaeger and beer probably didn’t hurt- we had a veritable bar inside with us that night). Phish during the second set were fantastic also, but I just couldn’t get over Bruce and Trey together.

Following the set, I used my last meal token on a couple of slices of pizza, fell asleep while eating it at a picnic table with my new friend from Charlottesville, and we both decided that was it- back to camp and to sleep. My Roo was over and I was completely satisfied.

Monday morning we awoke a bit late at around 11, said farewell to all of our neighbors and hit the road. Taking shifts driving and sleeping in the bed in the back of my truck we made it home in time for lunch on Tuesday.

4187 kms

500 dollars

14 states

8 days on site at Bonnaroo

1 Dave Mayne at my side

0 speeding tickets

UNFUCKING BELIEVABLY PRICELESS

I think what Sean left out of his $500 budget was the fact that he had a hand painted sign attached to his backpack reading simply 'Outdoor Blowies' and the understandably vigorous barter economy that played itself out within certain subsectors of the tweaker underground economy.