Jambands.ca

so, went to that ottawa place...

PalacePrincess

...and i gotta say, it was "ot-ta-wa" fun! heehee. first time in our nation's capital and i was not disappointed. our uber excellent host and tour guide, mr. stapes made sure fun was aplenty and around every corner. new deal on friday was fun (huxy i want your pants), highlight of the set a surprise appearance from martina sorbara, and i even ran into a fellow kitchener girl at the show. special thanks to qqc for peeling my sister off the concrete, and to j as well, for donating his hat so our givin'er gov'nor could challenge his kicked out of the venue status.

saturday found some downtown wandering and casbah rocking at velvet's. got some good usage out of the give'r belts, my only complaint about the weekend, it was just not long enough!

it was really nice to meet and/or see so many of you from the board. for fear of leaving someone out, i shan't specify, but y'all know who you are. thanks for the good times. it should probably scare me a little just how well you crazy ottawa people mesh with the just-as-crazy k-town crew, but instead i will laugh a sinister little cackle and smile with a devious look in my eyes. heh heh. looking forward to hopefully seeing a whole bunch of you on my home turf at the nero show, AND for those of you i'll see at ween, the countdown is on!!!!!!!!

Well, the drive back to k-dub was rough. In my tired, hung over state, I realized as each kilometer passed how much I didn't want to leave Ottawa.

Great to see all of you Friday... and nice to meet some new people off the board too - LowRoller, BradM and FreakerByTheSpeaker... what a pleasure!

Velvet - I think you're my favorite party host ever. Looking forward to pre/post partying in Vermont.

See you all again soon...

Guest Low Roller

The new club was interesting for a variety of reasons. Foremost the crowd which was half confused patrons of the former Liquor Dome, and half folks that would never find themselves in the Liquor Dome in the first place.

I think The New Deal was a great choice for opening band, just because their style appeals to both groups of people. Unfortunately I was slightly dissapointed in the New Deal's performance because it was so BOOM BOOM oriented. I think they played a much better show at Bluesfest. The new vocalist makes for an interesting break from the usual.

I don't really see how that place can fit 1,000 people or compete with Barrymore's for character and ambience. The floor is cursed with a main supporting beam intruding smack in the middle of the dance floor and ugly tiles that would make Pee Wee's Playhouse blush.

And, dammit, where were the hot bartenders?? Last time I was in that building (when it was called RJ's Boom Boom Saloon), I was doing belly shots with the Coyote Ugly grade bartenders. Now it's DUDES?! What a jip. [Wink]

Upcoming shows:

- Sam Roberts (Maybe I'll go to that. I don't mind his album, but he's terrible live)

- Rancid (oh hell yeah, I'm there!)

- April Wine (I'll go see the cover band at Barrymore's instead)

- David Usher (If it ain't Moist, I ain't going in)

- Sloan (Seen then twice. Meh.)

Couldn't agree more, big thumbs down on the new venue. All the things Roller said plus I have to add, the staff is super militant, I know it just opened and they need to find their comfortable level. But it was bullshit from minute one...wouldn't accept out of province ID, screwed up the guest list and it took some arguing, had to throw away a joint, and even after I tried to apologize and reason with the guy he was still a dick about it. It will take a pretty big name to play for me to ever go back there. The only good things about the new venue are the sound and the lights and the fact you can drink out back while smoking.

On the plus plus side...It was super cool to finally meet all you give'r kids from down south, hope to see you all again real soon.

It was really great to finally meet all you giv'

Yeah, the lights were cool.. but I think The New Deal brought them.

Militant security, damn skippy - and let's not forget the mandatory coat check even though you have to go OUTside in the cold to smoke. I feel a lawsuit coming on... did anyone get sick from that? I know a good lawyer.

yeep, ottawa has good times. thanks to steve, our inefficient, yet effective good times host. (how's the lakeport goin' down?) great to meet everyone... those i can pin a name to, those i cant, its still good [smile]

gotta love the non-smoking policy in the bar though [Wink] besides, it gives you more excuses to leave during the new deal. by the way, this show only served to re-affirm my dislike for the new deal... especially the keyboard player, exhibiting his primary skills. bork. bork. bork!

velvet, sorry about all the stuff i broke at your party. i didnt mention it because it looked semi-precious, and relatively important... the pieces are behind the couch. happy gluing [big Grin]

So I goes to Ottawa, right?

I'm inside the show, meetin'skanks (great to meet y'all, don't want to forget so I won't try to remember names [Wink] ) and generally havin'a good time. The Raw Deal is doin'their best to keep us jammin'and I'm well drunk when QQC comes over and asks if I want to try and smoke a joint. Now, I hate weed, but I say "Let's Give'er." So this little trailblazer comes out of nowhere and leads us to the front of the stage, ya'know, right where those really heady lights were aimed at. We light that shit and it gets around twice. Suddenly my spider sense lights up and I get a tap on the side by QQC. I drop the joint from my lips and turn to exhale directly in the face of a bohemoth bouncer. We step outside with another bouncer and another unfortunate doobie do-er, where the other dude begins to plead for his re-entrance. I suggest quietly to the more reasonable of the two thugs that the fifty dollars I've spent might be accompanied by more if I get back inside and tell him that I'm gonna marinate on my double while he decides. He takes our ticket stubs and we go wait out front. When out of nowhere appears Mr. Stevie Stapes to the rescue!!!!!! "Here, take this sweater"... "And this ball cap"... "Hold this beer"... and poof... I'm back in the club, and back outside again in half an hour to smoke another. [big Grin]

Ottawa was tuns o'funs and I'd go again in a second! [big Grin]

Thanks Stapes and friends for all the good vibes, and help on fridayand elsewhere throughout the weekend. Thanks Velvet for not being mad at QQC and me for breakin'shit and also for being the silliest dude this side of Montreal. "Feels good, feels real good." [big Grin]

Thanks LMP, PP, QQC and F'FOF for a ripsnortin'good time!!! Less do it again! [big Grin]

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by LittlemissPink:

hey... Low Roller, wha happened? to that Mickey post???

My computer and network at work is a P.O.S., that's what happened. Sorry for breaking the continuity of this thread....

Well the last time I checked it was "reply hazy try again" I don't know if that means the 8 ball is broken, you guys aren't sure or if you need to come back to Ottawa before it will give me a straight answer.

It was great bieng able to give back hospitality I recieved in the Giveropolus. I'm glad nobody ended up in the hospital. (smiling in FFOF's genral direction.)

It was also nice to see that the tradition of someone getting from this bord getting the kicked out only to sneak back in at a new deal show is still alive and well.

Thanks for comming guys. I hope you had a good time.

-

Archived