Jambands.ca

Girls hate Rush, but...

PhishyK

I recall a thread a while back in which one of our female Skancs corrected us on this before. Although I remember finding it a bit odd that her admiration for Rush came more from being physically attracted to the band's drummer and his book-writing, rather than having any comment on their music, but to each her own and I don't want to put words into another's mouth, so see below to read the original post...

Click here for old thread on this topic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know where Buffy's coming from. They are great live, and really win you over.

I was never a Rush fan. I was, however, given free tickets to see them at the Gardens in 1989. I had such a great time, that I returned the next night to see them again, and I've seen them several times since.

I still never put on their music at home, and I wouldn't travel too far or pay too much to see them, but I also expect to see them again some day and plan to enjoy every minute of their live performance when I do.

(I also think it very significant for Canada to have such a world-class band, and one recognized as such. Bands of that calibre are too few and far between in this country for us to thumb our noses at Rush.)

(I also think it very significant for Canada to have such a world-class band, and one recognized as such. Bands of that calibre are too few and far between in this country for us to thumb our noses at Rush.)

Quite agreed. I was a huge fan through high school, right up to the mid-80s or so, when I really started to catch on to the Dead et al., but hang on to an enormous admiration for them, and ever since I heard about Alex Lifeson's appearance on Trailer Park Boys (I still really need to see that episode) I understand they still have something to give. The last show that I saw at the Gardens (I won't date myself further) they were pretty jammy. They certainly do merit a hearing for anything they continue to produce.

Dr.:

When you do see that episode, pay close attention to the moment that they first pan into the stadium for the Rush show. There is an awesome, huge banner on the stage that no one ever seems to notice. It has a picture of Neil Peart (and says "Neil" below it) a picture of Geddy Lee ("Geddy" below that) and a picture of Brad Pitt where Alex Lifeson is supposed to be (and says "Brad Pitt"). I speculate Alex Lifeson is a very funny guy.

As well, all three band-members in Rush had a meeting and agreed to allow TPB to use a song and Rush logos throughout the episode FOR FREE. As I understand it, that intellectual property would have cost about $600,000 for a license, and there is NO WAY TPB could afford that.

Rush seem like good guys.

Those jeans look a little, um...restrictive. ;)

Yeah... ouch. I'll skip the obvious comment about how he must've used that as a singing-aid.

I junked out on Rush all the way through high school, and can still enjoy it, though they pretty much lost me after Power Windows. When I listen back on it, though, it's awfully impressive what rich music just three people can cook up.

I'll never suss out the gender business, mind you, but there's probably not much point to it anyway.

I can speak for the ladies. Bono is an ugly Getty-Lee or is that Getty-lee is an ugly Bono?

Anyway they're crap musicians who have lived off the fading nostlgia that pimply teenage boys have for all things Peter Frampton.

People who like Rush are the Star War convention geeks of music.

I think we all know that every Kelly_Anne post should simply be read as though it were written in purple. They are always inane and ridiculous (not to mention replete with spelling errors, such as "Getty", "nostlgia", and "Star War"); the above being no exception.

I can speak for the ladies. Bono is an ugly Getty-Lee or is that Getty-lee is an ugly Bono?

Anyway they're crap musicians who have lived off the fading nostlgia that pimply teenage boys have for all things Peter Frampton.

People who like Rush are the Star War convention geeks of music.

now now, Mabey their later stuff sucks a bit, but crappy musicians they are NOT. I definatly don't listen to them often, and certainly very little of their late 80's/90's stuff...but after seeing them in concert all I can say is that I was in Awe of their musicianship. They are masters of their domain...mostly because they have not stopped touring since their formation...they are a very very very tight band (not their pants).

Gotta agree with the kooky one...

Every member of Rush is incredibly skilled, especially Geddy. His songwriting and singing, combined with crispy, unique picked basslines AND footpedal keyboards to boot are unmatched in the entire world of music.

Archived