Jambands.ca

CBC: Book about Music

DevO

I just came across this on CBC.ca - interesting to read through the comments as well. A log-in is needed to contribute to the discussion there, so I'll just add my favourites here, in order:

1) Coming Through Slaughter - Michael Ondaatje

2) On A Cold Road - David Bidini

3) This Wheel's On Fire - Levon Helm

4) Gimme An R! - Brian Vollmer

The article:

http://www.cbc.ca/books/MT/2010/04/help-create-our-list-of-top-10-books-about-music.html

Help create our list of Top 10 Books About Music

If music be the food of love, play on!

Welcome to Music Month with the CBC Book Club. This month is dedicated to all those obsessed with music and books and the ways these two can combine. Fiction, non-fiction, memoir, biographies — we're open to hearing from you about anything you have read that has moved you to think differently about music, your rock idol, your ideas of how music shapes our culture and collective experience, you name it.

So here we go with our Top 10 Books About Music list. Write in to tell other readers what is at the top of your list!

I'll start by mentioning that I am currently reading The Angel Riots by Ibi Kaslik, a finalist for Ontario's Trillium Book Award last year. It's a compelling story of several young musicians in Montreal who struggle to get their music heard, then struggle amongst themselves as their dream seems within reach. It's raw, it's beautiful and it keeps me flipping pages long past my bedtime. I'm going to track down the author and get her on our site this month.

I've also pored over Stuart Berman's This Book Is Broken, which is a fantastic book not only for Broken Social Scene fans but for anyone interested in an oral history of Toronto music and culture of the late '90s and early '00s. As a Torontonian, and a BSS fan, I was impressed by the scope of this book and the intimate details of the musicians' lives. If you're a BSS fan yourself, you'll be glad to know that I plan on getting book recommendations from Jason Collett and Amy Millan, solo musicians who orbit within the BSS universe (and are personal faves).

What else can I say? There are so many books that could make it onto this Top 10 Books About Music list. I have high standards, though — do you? Let us know your pick and why you love it and at the end of the month we will have our definitive list of Top 10 Books About Music, as chosen by you.

Jaimoe - Agreed, and thanks for the description and picking up the slack where I left off. It's one of my favourite books out there and I often give out copies as gifts. It'd be a great read to go along with the show Treme for those who are just getting into it!

NW - That wasn't me, right? Just making sure.

If you like that type of book Mrs. Hux (well the first three certainly fit the bill) then the next logical progression is Scar Tissue- Anthony Kiedis or Long Time Gone- David Crosby.

The first book that came to mind when I read the first post is "Love is a Mix Tape" by Rob Sheffield. Wonderful little read.....

"I Slept with Joey Ramone" By Mickey Leigh with Legs McNeil is the most recent music lit piece I've read that has been really great. Go get it!

I thought Coming Through Slaughter was a bit self indulgent

Look what I can do!

I agree. I like Ondaatje' date=' but that's not one of my favourite books.[/quote']

Really, I didn't see it like that at all.

(Or, your favourite Ondaatji book sucks. ;)

I thought Coming Through Slaughter was a bit self indulgent

Look what I can do!

I agree. I like Ondaatje' date=' but that's not one of my favourite books.[/quote']

Really, I didn't see it like that at all.

(Or, your favourite Ondaatji book sucks. ;)

I think of Coming Through Slaughter the same way I think of On The Road and Infinite Jest: a case of style over substance, important and influential in the big picture but not really all that enjoyable on its own merits. Redefining the parameters in which a novel can be written is important and necessary for the furthering of the art, but the novels that break that new ground don't always make for the best reads.

A similar example in film would be Easy Rider. One of the most important films of its decade? Absolutely. Largely responsible for redefining what a film could be, do and say? Fer sure. Do I want to suffer through watching it again? No thanks.