Jambands.ca

Barr Brothers on Southern Souls

flipzoso

Their sessions from the box is also nice.

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

yup. can't wait to hear that one. I managed to find that in nathan moore's facebook feed and promptly put it on my iPhone. Saving it for a walk or drive. Went for a drive today and forgot to bring the audio cable!

What would you be without facebook?

I'm just having a laugh at the "quit facebook" movements. It's like posting something on the internet is all of a sudden a big fucking deal. When you post something on facebook as YOURSELF, people might see what you post. big goddamn surprise.

So I am highlighting certain bits of news that I've actually learned from facebook. If you use it right, it works.

Hats of to these guys for creating awareness because there are alot of people that really don't know what they're doing when the post shit on facebook. I just can't get over how huge the privacy issues have become. If one likes to guard their privacy, one should not post private things on the internets. simple.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/05/30/14191726.html

So I pretty much gave up on the Slip a few years back. I have to say, after one listen to the new Barr Bros album, I'm very impressed. Not blown away, but this is a fucking good folk record. Delivers on the potential of Aliveacoustic in a big way.

Ottawa XPress gave the recording four-and-a-half stars in their review:

The Brothers Barr, whom you might recognize as the core of well-respected Boston rock trio The Slip, have been sucked up into Montreal's musical community and have spit out a beautiful, subtle and joyously listenable album. The album is low-key but so pro: Brad Barr's growing rep as one of the city's tightest guitarists is on full display, and his brother and the great players he's assembled (who've played with Land Of Talk and Lhasa among others) are utilized expertly. Quiet ballads, like the near heart-breaking Cloud (For Lhasa), and the textured build and warm vocals of opener Beggar in the Morning, set you up to be floored by the electrified devil-at-the-crossroads of Lord I Just Can't Keep From Cryin'. Get this.

Aloha,

Brad

It is definitely out - I grabbed one at the Horseshoe when they opened for Plants & Animals.

They also have this merch item that is a card with basil (?) seeds embedded in it, and has written on it a code to download the new album. Everyone kept almost taking them without paying cuz they just look like business cards.

The disc is growing on me. I feel the same as DaveO.

So I pretty much gave up on the Slip a few years back...

i get the sense they did, as well. :)

i caught this barr bros. show in montreal last night and it was really really good. saw them in wakefield last fall, too, but it's obvious they've grown some since then.. the size of the sound, the sensibilities.. i mean, it felt like a real band now, not a "project". almost felt like i was watching the birth of phase 2 of the barr's careers, in a sense... you know, they had their own thing going on, sans any past slip connections, and they were killin' it. great sized crowd - i know its not a huge room, but the place was disgustingly packed and had a great energy throughout the night. and they've already got their "hit" with that "lord i just cant keep from cryin'" take... that place got bouncin' when they busted into it!

for what they played, aside from basically everything on the new disc, they also did Happy Snails, England, Heart Shaped Box, and maybe a couple more familiar ones that im forgetting. i even felt like their jams were more reminicient of old school slip than most "recent" slip i've heard, which was interesting... like, a bit of an air is the body type jam coming outta heart shaped box, and i dunno, a lot of it had the same kinda vibe you'd get from an old wolof, or cumulus, or autobody or something... very andrew driven, it seemed... anyhow...

this is a good band - hope to hear more from them.. check 'em out when ya can.