Jambands.ca

Steven Strasburg (article)

Schwa.

The hype behind this kid sure sounds a lot like the Kerry Wood hype back in the day....or Joba Chamberlain....or Phil Hughes....time will tell, i guess.

Baseball fans are already dubbing it 'Super Tuesday,' as one of the most heralded prospects in a generation prepares to make his major league debut.

Despite never throwing a pitch in anger above Triple-A, 21-year old Stephen Strasburg is already a very familiar name to those who follow the game closely.

Strasburg first came to international attention when he was the only NCAA player selected to join the U.S. team's entry at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

He was stellar in his Olympic debut, one-hitting the Netherlands while striking out 11 batters over seven innings.

The flamethrower would go on to cement his legacy at San Diego State University, where he would capture both the Golden Spikes award as the top amateur player and the Dick Howser Trophy for college baseball's player of the year in 2009. With his position as the top pick in the MLB draft secure, Strasburg added the cherry atop his horsehide sundae by picking up his first career no-hitter in his final home game, striking out 17 Air Force Falcons in the process.

Following lengthy contract negotiations - courtesy of Strasberg's super agent Scott Boras - the phenom signed a deal in excess of $15 million with the Washington Nationals after being selected first overall in last year's MLB draft.

While a lofty draft position paired with a ridiculous amount of hype is generally a recipe for disaster, the San Diego native has not disappointed. He already sports an impressive arsenal of weapons including a devastating curveball and a heater that touches 100 miles per hour on the gun.

While he has less than two months of minor league service, he appears to be more than ready for 'the show.' In 33.1 innings of AAA ball with the Syracuse Chiefs, Strasburg posted a 4-1 record with an impressive 1.08 ERA, striking out 38 batters while walking just seven. It is no wonder that his debut against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday sold out quickly.

The only possible comparison to the buildup surrounding Strasburg's debut would be that of LeBron James entering the NBA in 2003. Considering the lack of good baseball news from D.C. over the past few years, you can hardly fault the Nationals for being so excited to reveal the new face of the franchise.

That being said, they will do their best to protect their investment. Strasburg is penciled in to the Nats rotation every fifth day, and they will limit him to either six innings or 95 pitches per game.

The question now is how will a 21-year old adjust to the every day pressures of the major leagues considering how great the expectations on him are.

The history of professional sports is littered with one-time, can't miss prospects who did. Whether it be David Clyde, Alexandre Daigle or Todd Marinovich, the pressures that these players faced living up to the hype eventually overwhelmed them. So far, Strasburg has done a phenomenal job at dealing with the expectations and all signs point towards a lengthy and successful major league career.

The first step of which begins Tuesday in Washington.

no doubt, the Reds are doing quite well.....quite as well as the Jays, infact.

33-25 the both of em on this day :) Difference being that the Jays are in 4th fucking place in their division and 3rd in the Wild Card standings...yep, Jays are 4th in the American League and 4th in their division.

Fuck the American League East.

man, im too nervous to say shit! its lookin' too good right now... if we're still on the cusp come late august, im gonna be goin' ape. right now, tho, this is just a fun ballclub to watch grow into themselves.. just the beginning... :)

back to strasburg, tho.... shit... just watched his 1st inning, and he's definitely the real deal... that curve is downright nasty, comin' on the heels of a 97 heater... jesus! he's aggressive...

dang! 14 k's in his debut is pretty sick.

Funny stats listening to the fan590 today. There hasn't been a number one draft pick inducted into Cooperstown yet, Ken Griffey Jr. will be the first one. The highest draft pick in Cooperstown is a #22 pick, Ryne Sandberg.

welcome to the show, eh?

i never thought i'd seek out a nationals/pirates game, but shit.. he's gonna be fun to watch. his fastball isnt just high 90's, it dances all over the place. a tailing 2-seamer, a sinker at 95, a nice running change, and that crazy curve.. not quite a 12-6, but its got serious downward bite. the best thing for him might be a year or 2 working with pudge behind the plate, honing pitch selection and location. man - if his arm stays in its socket he's gonna be unstoppable.

glad he didnt debut against us, like the rumour had been. 14 k's... fuck me!

dang! 14 k's in his debut is pretty sick.

Funny stats listening to the fan590 today. There hasn't been a number one draft pick inducted into Cooperstown yet, Ken Griffey Jr. will be the first one. The highest draft pick in Cooperstown is a #22 pick, Ryne Sandberg.

It is pretty amazing that Sandberg is the highest pick in Cooperstown. It shows you how hard it is to judge young baseball prospects. Definately not like the NFL.

I think he struck out 7 in a row at one point. Great start for a rookie. As for the late nights, his wife follows him wherever he goes, so maybe he won't have that problem.

• 1 month later...

Does this remind anyone of Kerry Wood? Too young to handle throwing such heat I TELLS YA!

Strasburg out with inflamed shoulder

By Reuters

WASHINGTON -- Washington Nationals rookie Stephen Strasburg has inflammation in his pitching shoulder and his next start is unknown, the team said just seven weeks after he made one of the most talked about debuts in years.

The inflammation was discovered after Strasburg, the 2009 top draft pick, was scratched minutes before a scheduled start against the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday.

Strasburg, who mixes a high-velocity fastball with good off-speed pitches, was scheduled to pitch again Sunday but the Nationals have him listed as day-to-day.

"He was having problems getting loose in the bullpen, so I pulled the plug on it -- precautionary move," said Nationals General Manager Mike Rizzo. "There is no shooting of pain or anything like that in his shoulder or elbow. He was just struggling to get loose."

The 22-year-old pitcher, who struck out 14 batters in his June 8 debut with the club, has since thrilled Nationals fans as he compiled a 5-2 record with a 2.32 ERA and 75 strikeouts in nine starts.

Strasburg noticed a stiffness in his shoulder while warming up, pitching coach Steve McCatty said. The right-hander said he could still pitch the game but McCatty felt different.

"That was it," McCatty said. "I told Strasburg, 'We are not going to take a chance.' There is no reason to."

An X-ray and additional tests revealed the inflammation but no structural damage.

Rizzo said Strasburg had similar problems while pitching at San Diego State University and added that the pitcher will be on anti-inflammatories and in treatment.

Miguel Batista, making his first start in nearly two years in place of Strasburg, went five scoreless innings for his first win of the season as the Nationals beat the Braves 3-0.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I love being right.

NATIONALS' PHENOM STRASBURG LEAVES GAMES WITH ARM INJURY

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Washington Nationals rookie phenom Stephen Strasburg left Saturday's game against Philadelphia with a strained flexor tendon in his right forearm.

In the fifth inning, Strasburg's third pitch to Philadelphia right fielder Domonic Brown went for a ball, but the righty immediately winced in pain following the throw. He glanced down toward his elbow and began shaking his arm, but trainers and manager Jim Riggleman came out and replaced him with Craig Stammen.

"On the changeup that we all saw, he felt a little discomfort in his forearm," said Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo. "It's a flexor tendon in his forearm. He's going to get an MRI tomorrow in D.C., and we will have more information after that."

In 4 1/3 innings, Strasburg dominated the two-time defending NL champs, limiting them to two hits and one run while striking out six.

The injury is similar to the one that cost A's pitcher Ben Sheets all of 2009. Sheets tore his flexor tendon at the end of 2008 before sitting out 2009, signing with Oakland and suffering the same injury in 2010, putting him on the shelf for the remainder of the season.

Saturday marked Strasburg's third start since coming off the disabled list earlier in the season, as he had right shoulder inflammation. The first pick in the 2009 draft, Strasburg came into the game with a 5-3 record and 2.97 earned run average in 11 starts.

Many people have, many people haven't. I don't want to sound like I wish the kid to fail, quite the opposite. Baseball needs stories and players like this, especially after all of the steroid problems. That being said, has anyone this young had the surgery and recovered? he is still growing, I'm sure and who knows how this will turn out. I'm never convinced that anyone can actually be stronger after any kind of surgery, ever. But that's just me and I ain't no doctor.