Jambands.ca

Swell Season Suicide (When Your Minds Made Up)

zero

I haven't read any accounts other than the National Post's (which also mentions the Jones Beach suicide). This one's particularly brutal and really really sad given the choice of song he went out on, and that Hansard rushed to find his dead body onstage.

http://northernheads.blogspot.com/2010/08/swell-season-suicide-when-your-minds.html

The guy who jumped at Jones Beach didn't die. He has some broken bones, but that's it:

New York Post Article

The Swell Season To Split After Tragedy

Oscar winners and former lovers GLEN HANSARD and MARKETA IRGLOVA are to split as THE SWELL SEASON to embark on other endeavours.

The news comes just days after a fan committed suicide onstage at a Swell Season show in Saratoga, California - but the tragedy has nothing to do with the parting.

Hansard has announced plans to rejoin his former band The Frames, while Irglova intends to record a solo album.

Aloha,

Brad

The Swell Season To Split After Tragedy
Oscar winners and former lovers GLEN HANSARD and MARKETA IRGLOVA are to split as THE SWELL SEASON to embark on other endeavours.

The news comes just days after a fan committed suicide onstage at a Swell Season show in Saratoga, California - but the tragedy has nothing to do with the parting.

Hansard has announced plans to rejoin his former band The Frames, while Irglova intends to record a solo album.

Aloha,

Brad

I love how boldly the title implies that it's because of the tragedy...

This is sad and bizarre news all-round. I have little doubt that Marketa will do just fine on her own (she's great when she does solo songs in concert, and her songwriting has improved greatly over the years). I'm looking forward to some new Frames; too bad about the timing of this news and what the title above might erroneously imply.

too bad about the timing of this news and what the title above might erroneously imply.

No doubt. I watched an interview/performance (I think on youtube) with Glenn & Marketa not too long ago and he hinted they wouldn't be a band for much longer, but didn't really give much more insight then that.

Well, I know Marketa is still very young, so perhaps Glen recognized that she should go on her own at some point and/or it's simply just time for a change. I think he'll still be in the background somewhere when she records solo stuff. I look forward to both their future endeavours. The Frames at Lee's Palace or Opera House will kick ass.

Good-ish news comes from the suicide, and a not-so-fast-on-the-breakup-talk

On August 19, the Swell Season faced a tragic and shocking incident when a fan committed suicide during one of their concerts in California. The 32-year-old man, named Michael Pickels, jumped off the roof covering the stage mid-set, falling three storeys and landing lifeless on a speaker. Now, the band have set up counselling sessions for fans who witnessed the unnerving tragedy.

As the Associated Press reports, the Swell Season have offered an undisclosed amount of money to pay for grief counselling sessions at the Palo Alto, CA-based Kara counselling centre. A spokeswoman from that organization said the band will pay for four group sessions, which will be open to anyone who attended the show.

In related Swell Season news, online rumours that the band have called it quits surfaced earlier this week. Speaking with Exclaim!, a representative from the band’s label, Anti- Records, said these rumours are unfounded.