Jambands.ca

quick $ related question

edger

Have most of y'all switched over to those new 'chip' interac cards yet? My bank sent me one in the mail a few weeks ago and I still haven't made the switch over yet. Curious about the pros and cons. I realize it's an inevitable switch, but wondering if I should hold off a bit until all stores, and places of merchandise etc have made the upgrade.

So I guess my question is, have any of you ever run into any problems with trying to use a bank card with the chip?

once stores switch over to the chip system for credit then you will not be able to swipe.

if you have a chip card for debit and want to swipe it will not accept it, only the chip.

been working with the technology for the last year and its funny to hear just how many people are skeptical.

All stores and banks are supposded to have their users transferred to the new system by 2011.

my only complaint with the chip is the potential for absent minded people like me to walk out of a store without my debit card. they are beginning to make the handsets beep loudly when finished to remind you to take your card.

if it makes debit cards harder to pirate, i'm all for it.

So Schwa are you saying the LCBO you were at only accepted cards that had the chip? (or maybe I'm reading that wrong)...either way sorry for your troubles...gettin' shut down at the LCBO on a Saturday is rough!

The LCBO accepts both types of DEBIT cards - swipe and chip. The screen even says "Swipe or insert your card".

I can't speak to the CREDIT card discussion going on in this thread but there is no danger in upgrading your debit card.

The LCBO accepts both types of DEBIT cards - swipe and chip. The screen even says "Swipe or insert your card".

More misinformation.

Let's try to make this as clear as possible:

IF you have a CHIP debit or credit card AND the merchant machine accepts CHIP cards then you MUST insert the card and you will not be able to swipe.

More misinformation.

Let's try to make this as clear as possible:

IF you have a CHIP debit or credit card AND the merchant machine accepts CHIP cards then you MUST insert the card and you will not be able to swipe.

Im not sure that is what Ollie said there, Basher. I think he simply said they accept both. I don't think that is in any way "misinformation".

Ok. So I should just make the switch already by the sounds of it... I think I'm just stuck in the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality' (mind you I have never had the misfortunate of my account being hacked which would likely make me sing a very different tune)

Thanks guys.

Ok. So I should just make the switch already by the sounds of it... I think I'm just stuck in the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality' (mind you I have never had the misfortunate of my account being hacked which would likely make me sing a very different tune)

Thanks guys.

FYI, the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule has been null and void for almost three decades now. The world currently revolves around fixing things that are hopelessly unbroken.

For example, the perfectly fine term "luddite" has been updated and is now referred to as "old school" (formerly "olde school") or "random".