Jambands.ca

Another NYC Tips Thread

Northern Wish

Anyone have any glory/ horror stories about places in NYC?

Good eats/ drinks near MSG?

Tips on public transit (especially for after the NYE show)?

Good tips on a place to stay for 4 people (prefer a suite with at least one private bedroom)?

Promo or discount codes for Hilton / Embassy Suites?

How to deal with short term rental agents who want money up front?

Anything else I should know?

I haven't been to NYC in the winter time for a show since 1998.........Right now I have a suite booked on the island and two rooms booked in Long Island City- but I know there has to be a better deal than $300 a night.

Link to previous threads that I couldn't find?

THANK YOU!!!!

Just some general NYC stuff i love...

huevos at yuca bar...

http://www.yucabarnyc.com/

all you can drink brunch at the sunburnt cow....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-sunburnt-cow-new-york

mexican style grilled corn on the cob at cafe habana...

http://www.cafehabana.com/locations.htm

dinner at Freeman's...

http://www.freemansrestaurant.com/Restaurant.html

time to plan a trip to manhattan!

The world's first pizzeria opened its doors in 1738. The Naples restaurant was called Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba. Its pizzas were cooked in an oven that used lava from nearby Mount Vesuvius. In 1889, Queen Margherita Teresa Giovanni, wife of Umberto I, King of Italy, visited the city of Naples. A man by the name of Don Raffaele Esposito was the owner of the tavern Pietro Il Pizzaiolo and was asked to create a special dish in honor of Queen Margherita. He responded by serving the queen a pizza containing mozzarella cheese and basil.

Mozzarella was an ingredient never before used on a pizza. The pizza's characteristic red, white, and green color echoed the colors of Italy's flag, and Esposito dubbed it the Margherita Pizza. Pizza's popularity continued to grow throughout the centuries. Italian immigrants traveled to America and brought pizza with them. In 1905, the first licensed pizzeria opened on U.S. soil.

Called Lombardi's Pizzeria Napoletana, it was located in New York City. The historic pizzeria still exists today. In World War II, U.S. soldiers stationed in Italy returned home to America excited about the Italian dish called pizza. Their appreciation for the dish caused pizza to grow in popularity throughout the U.S.

Balthazar in Soho is a great Brasserie.

DB was pretty tasty stuff, but expensive- might be worth it for a NYE treat. Bond 45 near Times Square had an amazing lunch- Italian cheese, cured meats, fantastic pizza- Highly recommended.

Most of the tourist stuff I did was summer weather stuff- roller disco in central park, walking the Highline, top of the rock. I spent much of my time watching soccer and drinking beers at various pubs while my wife shopped.

Amazing city with no shortage of fun things to do. Have fun!

It's nice to stop by Strawberry Fields in Central Park for a moment of Lennon-reflection. The Dakota is the aprtment building right across the street, John was shot there at the entrance.

For another quirk, if you're super-nostalgic about those old Schoolhouse Rock jingles (remember "I'm Just A Bill" and "A Noun Is A Person, Place Or Thing" from Saturday morning tv?) the guy that wrote and sang them hosts brunch at the Iridium in Times Square every Sunday afternoon.

I'm planning on trying my best to fill two people's quota of 10 kg of carry on with LPs so any good record stores are also appreciated.

Hit Bleeker (sp?) St in the Village. You won't know what hit you.......

Also if still looking for accomodation the best hotel deal we have found so far is the Embassy Suites near Battery Park. Best bang for the buck as it includes made to order breakfast, and a reception at 5 each day with free apps and two free bevies.

To tie together two posts in this thread:

I heard a phone-in show on the radio the other day on vinyl collectors. A guy called in asking where the record that Mark David Chapman got signed by Lennon before shooting him is now. I think that's an interesting question. Is it in a police evidence file somewhere? Has it gone missing from said file? Is it in with Chapman's other personal effects waiting to be returned when he gets out of prison? "One copy of Catcher In The Rye, one plane ticket from Hawai'i (used), one autographed copy of Double Fantasy..."

The radio guy had no idea. He said it's out of the realm of record collectors and in the realm of memorabilia.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm not sure it would qualify as proceeds of crime. He got it signed hours before the shooting, and it's not like he'd be selling a book of his experience or anything.

Interesting though.

Yeah I can see that, I working from the perspective that the value of a signed Lennon Double Fantasy against that of a signed for Chapman version has to be oranges VS. the worlds only apple.