Jambands.ca

I Do. Me Too.

Velvet

How are these arguments reminiscent of the arguments against gay marriage?

Are you referring to something said in this thread or just the conversation in general? If the former then I don't see it.

I'm sure he's talking about everything said in the media' date=' etc. Since we're all too lazy to elaborate on our points and provide some evidence and assuming others will fill in the blanks, no one could possibly comment on the half thoughts in this thread.

I could have been more specific but gave the reader the benefit of the doubt instead. Also, I'm lazy.

Guilty as charged.

I was just curious if BOC saw my objection as having anything to do with his statement:

"Those who live differently from the mainstream society are wrong and in fact they are a threat."

I think to reduce opposition debate to something as simple as that does neither side any good.

So I wanted to know what BOC was reacting to exactly.

My understanding is that he was likely referring to every argument against gay marriage is being rehashed here. The difference being that over time, the religious arguments lost their steam and eventually benefits, insurance, ownership, debts, and child support issues all became louder.

So here we go again. Starting with religion...

notice how I'm expecting you, the reader to do the research. I'm not providing any evidence because I'm too lazy.

How are these arguments reminiscent of the arguments against gay marriage?

Are you referring to something said in this thread or just the conversation in general? If the former then I don't see it.

"1) the decline of polygamy has been "inextricably entwined" with the growth of Western democracy, B) the practice leads to trafficking of child brides, and c) all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualization of young girls."

I think BOC is referring to lawyer point #1, and I think BOC outlines a valid comparison. I was more referring to lawyer point #2; not so long ago one of the arguments against acceptance of gay men in society was to keep the children safe, as the prevailing view was that all gay men wanted to have sex with young boys.

Overall, none of the lawyers points are directed at polygamy itself, but rather at projected negative byproducts of polygamy, a technique the gay-bashing community tended to use.

So here we go again. Starting with religion...

The point I'm slowly trying to get at is you can be against legalized polygamy without being a religious nut or a prude. The jump to conclusions of "Against ? Oh, must be one of those Jesus freak." is what I find inane.

Hence my request for clarification. You can stop answering for BOC now.

"1) the decline of polygamy has been "inextricably entwined" with the growth of Western democracy, B) the practice leads to trafficking of child brides, and c) all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualization of young girls."

I think BOC is referring to lawyer point #1, and I think BOC outlines a valid comparison. I was more referring to lawyer point #2; not so long ago one of the arguments against acceptance of gay men in society was to keep the children safe, as the prevailing view was that all gay men wanted to have sex with young boys.

Overall, none of the lawyers points are directed at polygamy itself, but rather at projected negative byproducts of polygamy, a technique the gay-bashing community tended to use.

I like it when Velvet answers for me, Ollie. He does it so well. Honestly I really did not put too much deep thought into it. I agreed with him and you asked me to elaborate. When I did you seemed to think it was somehow directed at you. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

That said, I listened to a piece the CBC did on this, yesterday, and realized my off the cuff comments were perhaps a little glib. They talked a lot about misogyny within the Muslim immigrant community. It's a complicated issue, to be sure. If I take the time to give it some more serious consideration I`ll get back into the discussion.