Jambands.ca

I Do. Me Too.

Velvet

I see the BC Supreme Court is ruling on the legality of polygamy.

Personally, I find it bizarre that polygamy is illegal. I find it even more bizarre that the lawyers three main arguments are against legalising polygamy are (cut n' pasted from the cbc article in no particular order) a) the decline of polygamy has been "inextricably entwined" with the growth of Western democracy, B) the practice leads to trafficking of child brides, and c) all forms of polygamy contribute to the discrimination of women and the sexualization of young girls.

If polygamy was legal, both genders would be free to practice it, right? And child marriage would remain illegal, right? And it wouldn't really signal the decline of Western civilisation, would it?

Is it just me or are these arguments reminiscent of the arguments against gay marriage?

I am willing and able to have my mind changed about this, so if you think I'm a sick fuck for thinking people should be able to marry as many people as they want I hope you'll explain why, and maybe I'll be able to see the light.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/11/22/bc-polygamy-hearing.html#ixzz164NFUvr7

I think the fear is that those who actually wish to practice polygamy generally belong to religious sects that make a habit of marrying off girls who are too young to actually consent or know exactly what they are getting into, or who have been brainwashed into believing that this is the only way to live - which makes it quite distinct from the gay marriage issue. Polygamy is, unlike homosexuality, a lifestyle choice.

Personally, I don't have an issue with polygamy in and of itself. I agree that outlawing the practice in order to protect young girls who are members of such sects isn't actually going to prevent the situation from arising, so it seems pointless to make an argument against the practice itself. It would make more sense to strengthen the laws or regulations that ensure that someone is entering into such a contract under their own free will.

Also, i'm drunk, and may have left out part of an argument there.

I thought one of the big problems had to do with spousal benefits. Imagine what having dental coverage for 6 wives would do to the insurance industry. Since I don't know much about the insurance industry, I can't really imagine, but I bet it would affect everyone's premiums if polygamy popularity grew.

How about that Big Love show? Looks like TV does affect real life.

Divorce laywers are going to love this!

I don't understand the push to have the government sanction every possible union under the sun. Beyond the reason of benefits, which Mike has already pointed out will become a can of worms, it's just a piece of paper.

Isn't living in sin more fun anyway?

it's just a piece of paper.

It's not just a piece of paper. When two people get married to each other, they accept a change in each person's status (e.g., debt obligations, next-of-kinship) under the law; when they get divorced (or the marriage ends for other reasons, like death or annulment), each person's status changes back.

With multi-person marriages, things get a lot cloudier.

Aloha,

Brad

It's not just a piece of paper. When two people get married to each other, they accept a change in each person's status (e.g., debt obligations, next-of-kinship) under the law; when they get divorced (or the marriage ends for other reasons, like death or annulment), each person's status changes back.

That's why I said "Beyond the reason of benefits". I could have been more specific but gave the reader the benefit of the doubt instead. Also, I'm lazy.

I think the fear is that those who actually wish to practice polygamy generally belong to religious sects that make a habit of marrying off girls who are too young to actually consent or know exactly what they are getting into, or who have been brainwashed into believing that this is the only way to live - which makes it quite distinct from the gay marriage issue. Polygamy is, unlike homosexuality, a lifestyle choice.

Personally, I don't have an issue with polygamy in and of itself. I agree that outlawing the practice in order to protect young girls who are members of such sects isn't actually going to prevent the situation from arising, so it seems pointless to make an argument against the practice itself. It would make more sense to strengthen the laws or regulations that ensure that someone is entering into such a contract under their own free will.

Also, i'm drunk, and may have left out part of an argument there.

drunk Hamilton for Prime Minister.

The benefits thing would be bound to be really, really complex, along with lots of other legal issues, but isn't life already pretty complex to begin with?

I find it funny that church and state never really had anything to do with marriage until early modernity, when they jumped in and claimed authority over it (which church has finally been getting elbowed out of). Polyamory works for some people, and there's no legal red tape around that - though I imagine the people that want the legal recognition or sanctification for it, in terms of polygamy, have their reasons.

Islam (and some kinds of African Christianity) makes an interesting test case. The stated rule there is that a man can only take on more than one wife is he is able and sworn to protect them all equally (and yes, this only works in one direction). No doubt this is very rarely the case. A secular legal apparatus around that might stand a better chance of ensuring that kind of protection.

How are these arguments reminiscent of the arguments against gay marriage?

Well, they basically support the old model (one man plus one woman equals marriage) and argue that any other arrangement is a dire threat to the sacred nature of the union. Like the whole world will fall apart if we allow the currently marginalized members of our society the same rights the rest of us have. It's a joke.

Many of the specific arguments may be different but their general theme is quite similar. Those who live differently from the mainstream society are wrong and in fact they are a threat.