Jambands.ca

E-readers

Im going home Donny

Most important thing in my experience is the screen quality. You need one like a kindle that has a "permanent" light, not one that has a more traditional style of screen where the image "updates" over and over again. I've found the constant update is what hurts my eyes, like staring too long at a computer screen, but not everyone experiences the same thing. Try out many before buying, see which you prefer.

My wife bought the Barnes & Noble Nook. B&N doesn't sell to Canada but if you know someone in the US that you could ship it to then you're good.

She did a lot of research and went with that one based on user reviews, price point, and the fact that, unlike the Kindle, it could handle non-proprietary file formats (PDF and ePub being the two biggest). You can also buy books from Chapters/Indigo, since both the Nook and the Kobo use the same file format.

This means she can get books from the library, which you can't do the with the Kindle.

The big selling point the Nook had over the Kobo for her was that the Nook allowed you to set bookmarks.

Also, if you are at all handy, the Nook color can actually be hacked and turned into an Android tablet, with full access to the Android app store.

Edited by Guest

Not sure if Kindle has a dictionary, but from what I've heard, it doesn't recognize all the book formats out there. There's tons of free books available (including Library websites!!) i don't think you can utilize with a Kindle. They may be changing that, but I know that's what they were like last year.

I have a Sony Reader and my wife has a reader pocket version. I've had mine for a year, but re-researched them when I got Debbie her's for christmas. Sony has a great screen... cheap enough, reads multiple formats, and very durable.

Not sure if Kindle has a dictionary, but from what I've heard, it doesn't recognize all the book formats out there. There's tons of free books available (including Library websites!!) i don't think you can utilize with a Kindle. They may be changing that, but I know that's what they were like last year.
Kindles are awesome.

With Calibre you can put ebook or pdf you find on it (tons of torrents)...and share purchased books with another kindle/calibre user.

Kindle does indeed have a dictionary.

It also allows you to highlight text and either save it in your favorites or you can post it to Facebook.

I have obtained lots of free books just through the Amazon website, but bouche has also found me free books through that Calibre thing. But I have no idea how that works.

I have obtained lots of free books just through the Amazon website, but bouche has also found me free books through that Calibre thing. But I have no idea how that works.

one can use calibre to save kindle books from their device to their hard drive, then hookup another kindle and put them on that one.

pretty cool.

Does anyone know if these things are useful for academic purposes? For instance, how many "current" academic texts are available as ebooks? And with Calibre, can I transfer texts in to my computer and make them accessible from there as well?

I'm very tempted, but I don't want to burn more dough than necessary, and then end up ordering more paperbacks online.

Edited by Guest

I guess if it's a pdf I can open it up, cut and paste and whatever else, for ease of quotation. But are most ebooks in some format specific to the reading device, or are they still in a format that I can open and "use" on my laptop/desktop? Getting a hold of the books is the most important thing. Most of them are often out of print to begin with but I'm guessing on the torrent sites you can find people sharing all kinds of stuff, or is it mostly entertainment reading that is available on these things so far?

• 1 year later...

Yahoo has signalled it is investigating e-book advertisements as a way to stimulate its earnings, says BBC News. The company states in two U.S. patent applications that users could be offered titles at a variety of prices depending on the ads' prominence. "Greater levels of advertising, which may be more valuable to an advertiser and potentially more distracting to an e-book reader, may warrant higher discounts," the company says. Ads could be offered as hyperlinks, as "dynamic content" such as video, and as boxes at the bottom of a page or chapter saying "brought to you by company A."