Jambands.ca

RC: Low Anthem/Barr Brothers at Great Hall March 2

Wassink Wild Card!

Truly religious like their last goround in town. Barr Bros. played their perfunctory set, solid just not over the top- Old Mythologies, Deacon's Son, Let There Be Horses (*the Mary song, 'the Mary' of the Mary song was in attendance), Can't Keep From Cryin', couple others...

The Anthem though was superb. They mic the stage so carefully and delicately and all sing aroun in an Appalachian style and have such a great sense of each other's range and the overall thrall they put the audience in. I mean it was just that good. Kept the Great Hall rapt with attention and basically dead quiet from start to finish.

Last night's show was pretty great. A little disappointed the Barrs only played for like 35 minutes, but what can you do, they're here twice next week. The Low Anthem was awesome, as per usual. They've certainly eclipsed their friends, but I think that's largely because they have good mgmt, pr, marketing skills whereas the Barr Brothers have basically none and never try to. All of my buddies left saying they enjoyed the barrs a lot more. My review of the show is going to be up on blogTO tomorrow. I'm also covering The Barr Brothers twice during CMW so there will be two nice reviews of them with lots of pics to come.

Barr Brothers setlist:

Old Mythologies

Deacon's Son

Let There Be Horses

Lord, I Just Can't Keep From Cryin'

Beggar in the Morning

Soundcheck:

Give the Devil Back His Heart

Kisses from Chelsea (tentative title)

Went to Market (tentative title)

there was probably more but this is all I heard

Edited by Guest

There will be a full review posted on blogTO tomorrow. I'll provide links when it's live. Setlist looked something like this, I think I could be missing a few songs and I'm not 100% where Love and Alter fell in the set.

Ghost Woman Blues

Sally, Where'd You Get Your Liquor From?

Burn

Apothecary Love

Hey All You Hippies!

Matter of Time

Ticket Taker

Home I'll Never Be (slowed version)

Ohio Blues (cover)

Love and Alter

Encore:

Smart Flesh

Charlie Darwin

Barr Brothers CMF details:

They'll be playing the Dakota Tavern this coming Thursday @ 2am and The Czehoski a week this Saturday @ 10pm. Not 100% sure those times are correct as they made a change on the time in the header of the FB event but not in the body...typical Barr Brothers lack of organization

Edited by Guest

Well I thought the whole evening was fantastic from start to finish. Barr Brothers are so compelling, moody and intensely beautiful. I felt very relaxed, content and zen after their set.

It was my first time seeing Low Anthem and I am now a fan most definitely! They are so talented and in tune with each others vocal range. So many instruments and moving around a lot on the stage was very interesting although a bit confusing at times. I thought the drum kit was too heavy handed for the material most times too. Haven't had a listen yet, but I did pick up the new LA album and I've heard only good things about it so I look forward to giving it a listen soon.

All in all, a very captivating and inspirational night of music. Capacity was probably at half, it was my second time at this venue and I really enjoyed the building. A good night to 'get the fuck off the couch and go see some live music already', and beat the winter blues...

Definitely agree about the drumming. Jeff was certainly hitting hard. He should take some notes from Andrew Barr who seems to have mastered the art of delicate percussion.

While The Barr Brothers set may not have been all that adventurous in regards to what they have and can do (and what I've seen them do) they still continue to amaze and astound me every time I see them. Most interesting musicians on the scene (for me at least). I hope Brad and Andrew never sit still....

Saw the La Sala Rossa show last night, Low Anthem were incredible. The single condenser mic stuff was just gorgeous.

Barrs did about 50 minutes, BradM has the setlist, there were a couple songs I didn't recognize. Vocals were pretty hurting.

Barrs did about 50 minutes, BradM has the setlist, there were a couple songs I didn't recognize. Vocals were pretty hurting.

Old Mythologies

Gone

Give The Devil Back His Heart

unknown #1

Beggar In The Morning

If You Leave Me

Cloud

Notes:

1. I think "Gone" is also known as "Kisses From Chelsea".

2. "unknown #1" might be called "Went To Market"; it also has lines about "When the river runs dry".

3. "Cloud" had one of the members of Low Anthem sit in on clarinet; I didn't get her name.

As dave-O noted, the set was longer than the night before in Toronto, at just over 50 minutes.

Aloha,

Brad

I didn't mean to come off negative- the Bros. played a solid set, I guess I would have expected them to have worked up a new set or some new material by this point in their development. It was also pretty clear they were all still mentally and half physically in Japan, so I thought the show was as good as it could be running on fumes. Was trying to gauge the audience's reactions but couldn't get much of a read, some seemed rightly enthralled particularly the older folks.

That said the Low Anthem again was sublime. Noteworthy was that they'd been given the gift of an accordion that had been played with The Hawks, Janice and someone else- I'm guessing it must have been Richard Bell's because there's no one else whose played in both the Hawks and Big Brother. Wonder if it came from Bell personally.

I do feel like the Low Anthem is carrying on the old, weird American vibe of the Basement tapes experimentation era but the lyricism (though full of little wonders) isn't quite up to a young J.R. Robertson.

They have a bunch of new material, they played a much more adventurous set the next night in Montreal. I guess they wanted to hit Toronto with some of their better rehearsed stuff seeing as how they haven't played here in about a year. They probably felt more comfortable testing out newer material in their hometown of Montreal. Maybe they'll play some of the newer stuff (which is great) at the Dakota on Thursday.

I'm particularly fond of this new song:

Went to Market (tentative title)