Jambands.ca

Raw Food Class

bouche

I just got this email about an upcoming event at the Urban Element in Ottawa that is pretty much identical to the event Sharon and I attended a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it. The chef and host for the evening, Scott Adams runs Benny's Bistro down in the market. He'll change your attitude towards raw food.

www.theurbanelement.ca

Raw ‘Cooking’ w/ Chef Scott Adams (Benny’s Bistro)

Wednesday, April 6th, 6-9pm

Hands-on Cooking Class, $115 pp + tax

The raw food movement (i.e. the practice of eating un-cooked, un-processed and often organic foods) is gaining popularity as quality ingredients become more readily available and word about the purported health benefits associated with this style of eating are better understood. In this class we’ll discuss how to use raw ingredients safely, how to buy raw ingredients, and how to match appropriate flavours and garnshes. Get ready to graze tapas style over some extraordinarily fresh, top-quality ingredients this evening!

On the menu: Sea Scallop Ceviche with Avocado, Cucumber & Fennel Salad; Sashimi of Albacore Tuna with mixed melon & mint mignonette, pressed yogurt tzatziki, watermelon gastrique; Crudo of Halibut with preserved lemon, tarragon & mustard; Duck Carpaccio with cured quail egg, Umeboshi plum tapenade, pickled radish & watercress salad; Venison Tartare with chevre & cranberry, toasted pecan & apple salad; Marscapone, banana & vanilla bean parfait.

Sounds interesting. Duck carpaccio kinda makes me a bit wary. But I'll eat almost any carpaccio put in front of me if I trust the chef.

Having been in the kitchens of many restaurants, there are some places I would not trust to serve me raw anything!

Aww I thought you meant a non-meat raw food class.

When you guys went to the other one was it a hands on class? I take it from Sharon's comment that it was worth it?

We looked into taking a class there with the chef Caroline from Zen Kitchen but it filled up pretty fast.

Urban Element does a great job. The kitchen is set up for students to get involved (some classes are hands-on, others are just teaching, so make sure you read the description carefully before booking).

Hands-on is great. The students make the components of the meal and then everyone sits down and enjoys dinner afterwards.