Jambands.ca

Grace Potter w/ Flash Lightnin' -THURS, SEPT 29 @ Opera House

Jay Funk Dawg

GracePotterposter.jpg

Live Nation & NuFunk Concerts present...

GRACE POTTER

WITH FLASH LIGHTNIN’

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2011

THE OPERA HOUSE – TORONTO

...Doors: 8:00PM Show: 9:00PM

Adv. Tickets $18.50 SS & RT Online: http://tktwb.tw/nIQ2Vx

FB Page / Please confirm your attendance and invite your friends!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=272890456070557

Grace_Potter_Nocturnals_Picture_2.jpg

After an acclaimed set opening for Ben Harper at the Sound Academy in July Grace Potter & The Nocturnals return to Toronto to play the Opera House September 29th!

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are like a modern-day version of Tina Turner stroking the microphone in a spangled mini-dress while fronting the Rolling Stones circa Sticky Fingers. The proof is there for all to hear on the band’s third album for Hollywood Records which marks an artistic breakthrough for a vital young band caught in the act of fulfilling its immense promise. Little wonder that Grace and her cohorts chose to title it, directly and emphatically, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.

“This record is the first time it’s really been us — the first time we’ve all found each other and ourselves,†says Potter with obvious excitement. “Everybody was totally comfortable, everything we had was sitting right in front of us, and it just poured out of us. The whole thing was fluid and effortless. In my mind, an album shouldn’t be self-titled unless it feels that way.â€

Though GPN initially made a name for themselves — and became a self-sufficient touring unit — on the jam-band circuit, the group’s sound was deeply rooted in the golden age of rock ’n’ roll; they cite Little Feat and J.J. Cale as huge influences early on. Burr and Potter formed the earliest version of the Nocturnals while both were students at St. Lawrence University after he introduced her to the myriad joys of The Last Waltz. So it was that the two soon-to-be bandmates and soulmates formed their bond while in the thrall of The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and Bob Dylan. All in all, not a bad place to start. Because of their ready acceptance on the U.S. touring circuit, they were able to regularly play as many as 200 shows a year, shaping and sharpening their sound the old-fashioned way, on stages in front of demanding crowds. With the 2009 arrivals of Popper and Yurco the Nocturnals are entering the next phase of their evolution.

“We were a homegrown Vermont band for five years,†says Grace with a wicked smile. “Now we’re a national act that does not want to be fucked with.†After pausing for dramatic (or comedic) effect, she continues in a more serious vein. “With this record we feel like we’re finally there, after a long struggle. It’s like the song ‘Oasis,’ which is about slogging through the desert feeling like you’re completely lost, with no end to the road and very little hope. I wrote it as advice to myself to keep on walking, because in the middle of the desert there might be an oasis. And that’s what we’ve actually found.â€

Grace and her band put on a great show. The one at Lee's Palace a couple of years ago was a blast. I'd be at this one in a heartbeat, but I am running a fund-raiser at YukYuk's that night for my daughter's hockey team. Should be good for a laugh.

Have a great show. You going to tape it bradm?

• 3 weeks later...