Jambands.ca

Hartamophone in South Africa

Hartamophone

So I'm moving to South Africa. Landed a six-month gig with a human rights NGO in Stellenbosch, which is about 50km east (inland) of Cape Town. Taking off in a couple of weeks and feeling stoked. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, but I'm pretty sure that it will be a big change from Yellowknife, which has been my home for the past year.

Anybody been to that part of the world? Any can't-misses or must-avoids?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Sorry, no real tips as I haven't been there...yet.

I might go sometime soon though. I know a dude who just got a totally cool posting there. I think he's got heady couch space and likes to buy lots and lots of rounds of beers for his guests.

Actually, one of my best buds is half S African, and he's been there plenty. I'll ask him if he has any tips.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Sorry, no real tips as I haven't been there...yet.

I might go sometime soon though. I know a dude who just got a totally cool posting there. I think he's got heady couch space and likes to buy lots and lots of rounds of beers for his guests.

Actually, one of my best buds is half S African, and he's been there plenty. I'll ask him if he has any tips.

Sounds like a good man. And thorough.

I've been down to Cape Town and Stellenbosch and was in Johannesburg a few weeks ago. Lots of great outdoorsy stuff on the coast there. Driving down around the cape of good hope is pretty amazing, and htere are lots of whales and such. Robben Island and Table Mountain are the obvious things to hit in CT.

There are also some great restaurants in both CT and Stellenbosch (with killer wine of course). Don't recall names off the top of my head unfortunately, but I'm sure they're easy to find online.

Obviously game parks are a huge attraction, and I'd say check out some of the neighbouring countries for fun (Namibia, Mozambique, Madagascar, Maldives if you don't mind going a bit further afield).

I'll probably be back down in Durban in December for the next round of the UN climate negotiations, and am thinking of hitting one of those countries for a week or two.

I visited SA when I was 15.. Quite a while back but from what I recall, Stellenbosch is a quaint university town, my memory of it is like what I picture an ivy league uni town to be like with well manicured gardens, etc. Cape Town is beautiful, be sure to take a week or more to drive along the Sunshine Coast out to Surfers Paradise. Driving down to the Cape of GOod Hope is really beautiful too, where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet (just like on the Two Oceans wine label). Lots of surfing opportunities in SA including Cape Town (sometimes), just watch out for sharks! Enjoy it is a beautiful place!

Edited by Guest

I have an upcoming work trip to Uganda and Malawi, and am planning to tack on a 2-week vacation at the end of it. Destination: MADAGASCAR! This would be roughly Nov 4-18. Anyone wanna meet up?

Would love to, but that won't fly with my work schedule. Sounds pret-tay sweet, though.

Hey Hart...just be careful if you go whale watching in a yacht while yer down there

Appreciated. Going to be hard to enjoy the sand and surf when I am avoiding whales and these pesky little fellers, who hang out down there in spades:

zZVbSYRC9P0

Years ago a dude from S. Africa told me about the time he and his buddy went surfing together and the shark alert went up. Dude is swimming along and sees his buddy swimming slowly along nearby.

"The alarm just went up," dude yells over to his buddy, "there's a shark about."

"I know," came the reply. "He just ate my leg."

Both made it back to shore alive.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an upcoming work trip to Uganda and Malawi, and am planning to tack on a 2-week vacation at the end of it. Destination: MADAGASCAR! This would be roughly Nov 4-18. Anyone wanna meet up?

kevo who do you work for?

we changed our plans back to madagascar, but it's too bad we won't be there at the same time as you. i want details when you get back!!

Fun read Hart! Looking forward to reading abput your upcoming adventures.

And thanks for the Frankfurt tips.

It's funny I was just reading in the Citizen yesterday about those padlock bridges in Germany!

I'm glad you checked it out! As for Frankfurt, it's pretty easy to take a train into town, and we never saw anybody checking tickets. And as with most major airports, you can check your carry-on bags for the day for just a few euro a bag, so that you don't have to lug them around all day.

Bummer that we'll just miss each other in South Africa. Our plan is to leave here late March, although a lot can change between now and then.

Thanks for the blog post - so far so good!

we changed our plans back to madagascar, but it's too bad we won't be there at the same time as you. i want details when you get back!!

No way! When are you guys going? I've been reading up as much as possible and am having a hard time choosing a route for my 2 weeks there. So much to see! I recommend getting a copy of the Bradt guide ahead of time and start reading. Also if you haven't yet, download the new 3-part BBC series on Madagascar.

I work for CPAR - www.cpar.ca .

We haven't got our tix yet but won't be going until April. I have read a bunch of books and stuff over the past year! Stoked. The food is supposed to be good there too :thumbup:

I think our route (subject to change of course and if you find some gems we need to add) will be south and west from Tana to stay in some Nat'l Parks (Velvet's favourite animal is the lemur) and end up on the west coast. I know what you mean, it is such a huge place, you have to pick just a few spots, it's hard!

That's awesome you are going over with your job (both of you dudes). :thumbup: I need to get a job like that!

I have an upcoming work trip to Uganda and Malawi' date=' and am planning to tack on a 2-week vacation at the end of it. Destination: MADAGASCAR! This would be roughly Nov 4-18. Anyone wanna meet up?[/quote']

Funny so much traffic heading that way! I'm thinking of hitting madagascar the week of Dec. 12th.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...