Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go 2012

peipunk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Exactly. Not enough. Premeditated homophobic slur. I do something similar in my workplace and I'm fired. He had no excuse, cowardly spoke through an interpretor even though he speaks fluent English. Looks bad on the team, the city, the country and Escobar. Fucking boot this fucker in the fucking head and kick him off the team.

He had no excuse, cowardly spoke through an interpretor even though he speaks fluent English.

They said he barely speaks any english in one broadcast I saw.

Methinks he's just ignorant and living in a bubble. Not to say its right. But it kinda reminds me of some of the people in Nova Scotia, for instance. There's a lot of racism out here. It's not necessarily hate-spawned either...its more...just plain ignorance. There are an awful lot of people in this province who, for instance, don't realize that "Towel-Head" is an inappropriate way of describing people. It's sad really.

So ya, that's my take. Escobar has lived a sheltered life where he has never really been told that these things are not welcome and he's shouldering the blame for a system that harbors ignorance at every turn. When a bunch of grown men get together there's always a bunch of "your the biggest gay" insults thrown around. No one ever steps in and says, "Hey, that's an inappropriate and hurtful thing to say!" Escobar was the only the latest to shove it in everyone's face.

Edited by Guest

I don't sympathize with homophobia, and I think this guy deserves the heat he's getting, but calling someone "Moricone" in Spanish slang is about as common as as calling someone an asshole in English, it just takes on a different connotation in translation. Like I said, it's not ok, but he's not some guy in a bubble. The real problem is that its pervasive and that's why I'm happy to see Antho stepping up and committing long term to some organizations. It sucks that it took this for them to really make the move, but its for the best, and IMO, getting rid of him now gives him an opportunity to sidestep the responsibility to do the real work.

Edited by Guest
He should be convinced that it would be more fun to ride a flaot in next year's Pride Parade rather than to be an asshole.