Jambands.ca

RIP Dave Brubeck

bradm

Wow. I just watched this video and I can't get the shit-eating grin off of my face. At the same time I got choked-up a little. THIS is the greatness of music and performance. A legend improvising on a theme to a room of smiling faces and inspiration gets another musician to join in on the JAM, transcending all language and political barriers.

"During a visit to Moscow in the 80's, Dave Brubeck met the faculty and students in Moscow Conservatory. While he was improvising on a "Ei, uhnem", a Russian folk song, a young man downstage stood up to play Stéphane Grappelli-style violin jazz with him. "

One of my favourite albums around this time of year (Oscar Peterson's is really good too) for relaxing seasonal tunage.

http://bit.ly/VxuVE9

tumblr_mel12vqRFL1qjoyjs.jpg

Dave Brubeck - A Dave Brubeck Christmas

Dave Brubeck covers a host of favorite carols on this solo outing. Dave Brubeck Christmas His chime-like “Joy to the World†and striding “Winter Wonderland†are treasures. Dave Brubeck Christmas His festive opening version of “Jingle Bells†contrasts with the weary version signaling the end of an evening’s festivities; anyone who has ever worked a holiday party will relate to it. Dave Brubeck Christmas His originals include the delightful “Run, Run, Run to Bethlehem†and the meditative “To Us Is Given.†This is a Christmas CD worth repeated hearings. ~ Ken Dryden

Recorded at Ambient Recording Studio, Stamford, Connecticut on June 6 & 8, 1996.

Solo performer: Dave Brubeck (piano).

mp3@192

Tracklist

1. ‘Homecoming’ Jingle Bells

2. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

3. Joy To The World

4. Away In A Manger

5. Winter Wonderland

6. O Little Town Of Bethlehem

7. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)

8. To Us Is Given

9. O Tannenbaum