Jambands.ca

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are leaving the Allman Brothers Band

Hartamophone

This certainly seems like a logical end point for the Allman Brothers, although part of me would be interested to see how the band might move forward. After all, while definitive of the band's modern era, these are not original members we're talking about.

To that end, I've long likened going to see the Allmans to going to see the Montreal Canadiens (or iconic sports franchise of your choosing): so long as they're not god awful, it's as much about the institution as it is the guys currently in the lineup. If Gregg wants to keep flying the flag with some new blood for a few more years, I say more power to him.

My radar is starting to focus in on The Peach Music Fest http://www.thepeachmusicfestival.com/ Anybody ever been? The fact that there is a water park is a huge plus for the kids.

I drove by the Toyota Pavilion today. The physical building reminds me of Darien mixed with Blossom. It is one of those 'circus tent' coverings in a very natural area. I didn't see a water park, but Montage Mountain ski area is right there so maybe that is where it is. Other than the hotel / lodge on site at Montage, the other hotels are a good 2 mile drive down the hill. Is there camping on site at the ski hill? I'm guessing there must be. If so the whole thing may be very similar to Mountain Jam except it is a seated plus GA lawn type venue.

I'm really hoping the lineup is solid because I will most likely be in the area for work anyways, and short of the River St Jazz Cafe in Wilkes-Barre, nothing ever happens near here.

To that end, I've long likened going to see the Allmans to going to see the Montreal Canadiens (or iconic sports franchise of your choosing): so long as they're not god awful, it's as much about the institution as it is the guys currently in the lineup. If Gregg wants to keep flying the flag with some new blood for a few more years, I say more power to him.

Agreed, but I think the Allman flag alone wouldn't sustain any sizeable audience, certainly not enough for something like, say, a Beacon run. I might be totally wrong about that, but I think the guitar players they are losing really helped rebuild the current ABB fanbase.

But hey, would it be so bad to have Gregg playing with Ringo's All-Starr Band?

Right now tickets are $129 and camping tickets are $35 (prices are U.S. which means about 3 gazillion demirits in current Cdn funds).

It's an Allman Brothers festival, whatever the lineup is, it won't be crap.

A very good friend assures me, this is the best festival, and is like Disneyland for music lovers.

Edited by Guest

To that end' date=' I've long likened going to see the Allmans to going to see the Montreal Canadiens (or iconic sports franchise of your choosing): so long as they're not god awful, it's as much about the institution as it is the guys currently in the lineup. If Gregg wants to keep flying the flag with some new blood for a few more years, I say more power to him.[/quote']

Agreed, but I think the Allman flag alone wouldn't sustain any sizeable audience, certainly not enough for something like, say, a Beacon run. I might be totally wrong about that, but I think the guitar players they are losing really helped rebuild the current ABB fanbase.

You're right. To keep the sports analogy going, some rebuilding years would be required. Those would be massive shoes to fill.

Did anybody see Ben Harper playing with Ringo on some TV show there last week (sorry for my poor memory skills). [color:purple]Wonderful stuff

back on topic. Although great for fans to see them keep going, I think those boys have given us a lot of years of great music and they deserve a nice retirement.

Thanks for the info BR. I'm still hard at work and didn't have time to research. There must be a back way from the venue to the mountain that I couldn't see from my vantage point on the access road.

I'd like to just buy tickets now but I'm not 100% sure where I will be in August. It sure would suck to buy these and then be working in Colorado.

Just from my wee bit of poking and prodding, there could be a bit of a crew forming for this. I'm still not 100% yet, I've already got a few things planned for the summer. I am really pushing for this one though, but it can't take a priority seat over another trip we have planned.

I've gradually lost interest in the ABB since the departure of Dickey, even though he deserved to get kicked out (his playing was just brutal). I love Derek and Warren, but my Allmans needs an original guitarist in it along with one of the aforementioned two, preferably Haynes (it was the Allen Woody/Haynes era that gave the Allmans a rebirth and return to relevance). I can't believe Haynes put up with Gregg's shit for 25 years?!

I can't believe Haynes put up with Gregg's shit for 25 years?!

I'm sure there were some boundary's drawn. Just look at Warren, he's a scary looking dude, Greg probably knew not to fuck around with him too much. I'm sure Warren's mind is always on the quality of music he's making and they were making some great music so there was probably a lot of tolerance as a result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get well soon Gregg!! Allman Brothers to re-schedule the rest of Beacon run. Selfishly I must admit I am glad that I didn't end up buying tickets for this given this development, and I SURE do hope that he is feeling healthy and vibrant for Mountain Jam. I definitely have a huge desire to have one more memorable Allman's show before all the change ensues.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121141/Allman-Brothers-To-Reschedule-Rest-Of-Beacon-Run

Edited by Guest

saw last Friday and Saturday nights shows. Was definitely a bummer that Greg was out but Fri's show was really awesome despite his absence. The band went the extra distance to make it solid. Sat was a bit more subdued as they had made the announcement Greg was out Saturday morning. Still good but Friday was better.

There will most likely be a pair of farewell shows at MSG this fall, either Sept or Oct. They're still trying to work out the details but its fairly likely to happen.

I was first introduced to Warren Haynes in 1989 when he joined the newly reunited Allman Brothers. We were all immediately impressed with him. I cant believe that was 25 years ago, let alone that he remained with the band this entire time on top of everything else he has been doing. Incredible work ethic.

Cheers to Warren, Derek and the ABB. Its been a great run.

'89 was 25 years ago. oh. my fuck.

• 5 years later...

I thought this thread was as good a place as anywhere to put this. 

Guess it's a couple years old but new to me... an excellent piece on Derek Trucks reflecting on the life and legacy of Gregg Allman. Love these guys....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/derek-trucks-reflects-on-gregg-allmans-life-advice-and-legacy-195079/?fbclid=IwAR37FhzN_i-wHTvFtaWvesW_BSBOtUt_Mtm46uH7yxXpru2AGTcFWtK39DU