Jambands.ca

Cretien's last day

paisley

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

thanks for running Canada like a Canadian Jean

thoughtfully, peacefully and with a sense of humor

he leaves his post as Canadian leader with the majority of the world liking and respecting us, a decent economy and a good overall national pride

good work Mr. Cretien

lay off the acid paisley!!

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Cretien was the best leader of my lifetime....

Paisley, i agree with everything you said...

Canada led by a Canadian....what a concept...

i hope i have a chance to meet him one day...

i must have missied one hell of a acid party last night in the hammer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Chretien, especially the last year or so of his service - saying no on the Iraq war, progressive social change, etc. I was more proud to be Canadian this past year than I've ever been before.

However, I still remember the APEC incident in 1997 where the red carpet was rolled out for Suharto; the massive cuts to social programs in order to start paying down the debt (while cutting corporate taxes); related - huge increases in college/university tuition; and his general embrace of WTO/NAFTA/IMF policies that have hurt workers, the environment, and our national sovereignty. Right now, as a matter of fact, he's sucking up to China's Premier at a press conference, but I understand politics have to trump principles sometimes.

Still, he wasn't one of those politicians who controlled everything he said and tailored his thoughts to polls. Any Prime Minister who can say that he might spark a doob when he retires is alright with me.

quote:

Originally posted by wil:

He used the words, "no political donations from corporations"...Braaaaaavo. Would have been the most important legislature in Canadian history. Ah well....too bad so sad. I aplaud him for bringing it up! Long live the steam ship business.

That legislation passed and takes effect January 1 2004.....

ad

heh... seems like I have way too much time on my hands with all the posting I've done lately... I don't post this often when I'm in Ottawa...

As for the Americans... I'll keep my thoughts on that to myself for a bit... They're doing some good work here, but they're killing lots of kids too... Someone's got to get rid of the Taliban though. 5 kidnappings this week, 3 bombings, 3 shootings (that's just the cases involving ex-pats).

There was a shooting spree by Taliban just 15 minutes down the road from where I am right now two days ago that left 15 Afghani civilians dead.

Taliban is more of a threat to Afghanistan than the Americans

AD

well, I usually really like americans that I meet

the Taliban should have been stopped when they started blowing up thousands of years old Buddha statues (many of them hundreds of feet tall) a few years back

the patch comment came from something on tv the other night where they were saying Canadians should keep a low profile when travelling through the states as many Americans have a hate-on for anti-war peacenik Canadians right now - CNN fear mongering most likely

American media and the higher powers there seem like they're on some sort of crazed Benzedrine bender lately... dizzy with it all

quote:

the Taliban should have been stopped when they started blowing up thousands of years old Buddha statues (many of them hundreds of feet tall) a few years back

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that. Took place the summer before 9/11. Can't believe the international community didn't do more to stop that particular raping of history.

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

quote:

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that. Took place the summer before 9/11. Can't believe the international community didn't do more to stop that particular raping of history.

It was only 2 statues, 175 feet and 120 feet that were demolished in March 2001... The international community tried pretty hard, there were pleas from the UN, UNESCO, world leaders, the OIC, but the Taleban is pretty cruel and stupid.

I think we're travelling through Bamiyan on Tuesday (if we travel back to Kabul by car); I'll try to get some shots... No promises...

Home for the holidays! That's what I like to hear... Coming back in January, then possibly to Kashmir for some work there...

AD

Archived