Jambands.ca

Hunter S Thompson

Duke

Weekly / Bi-weekly Hunter's most recent writings on ESPN

-

quote:

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

quote:

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

I actually just downloaded this lecture by him

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

UC Auditorium

Boulder,CO

11/01/1977

source: SBD>??>SHN

01 Intro, American Dream, Tex Coalson 06:56

02 Nixon and Football, Vietnam Books 04:33

03 Tom Wolfe 03:19

04 Trudeau, Running For Office 05:48

05 Rockafellar, Tri-Lateral Comm. 05:58

06 Rush, Eldridge Cleever 04:21

07 VD, Disco & Rolling Stone 05:50

08 World Series, MK - Ultra 03:57

09 Kesey, Canada 04:10

10 Evil As Nixon?, Uganda, Degeneracy 05:32

11 Steadman, Gonzo 04:20

12 More Kesey, Avoiding Jail 02:36

13 Silver Platter, The Slide 03:55

14 Carter Argument 02:34

15 Drug Question, Drunk And Loud 04:42

16 Three Wishes, Fascist 05:21

17 Grateful Dead 00:42

time: 74:41

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...." And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about a hundred miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?"

HST is one of my all time faves. "The Great Shark Hunt" is a great compilation of some of his early stuff. Great journalism there...the way it ought to be. "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" should be read by everybody.

Aside from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which most people associate him with, "Hell's Angels" is also a must read.

The guy is a fucking legend, what else can I say?

quote:

Originally posted by larry jr.:

You could say the quality of his work has gone steadily downhill over the years; you could say how "The Curse Of Lono" was printed using thick paper because there wasn't enough content; you could say that the later "Gonzo Papers" books are pretty much throwaways (esp. when compared to "The Great Shark Hunt", which is Vol. 1 of The Gonzo Papers)...

(And yes, I'm a HST fan; a slightly frustrated one, but still a fan.)

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

Originally posted by larry jr.:

You could say the quality of his work has gone steadily downhill over the years;

I agree, but the fact that the guy can even piece together a sentence after consuming all those drugs is so fucking inspirational to me that I just want to jump into a vat of ether and suck down some peyote and chase it with some bourbon. On the other hand...I'm more of a scotch guy.

on Timothy Leary-

"I believed that the thing to do with acid was eat it and go out and get involved with the public life.

Leary, that son-of-a-bitch, that fraud...I think he was the most horrible person to come out of the sixties. He advocated his way, which was the Guru way. You had to have a guide, and had to do things in a certain way, be in a room with certain lights, and have a certain high priest leading you. And that would be him, of course. I denounced Leary right from the begining, even when I didn't know that he was a working, hired informant for the FBI"

on Deadheads-

"If every Deadhead voted, the country would be a different place."

on his style of writing-

"All you have to do is drink a little whiskey, smoke a joint, eat some acid, and you too can write like this! That's as stupid as it sounds."

on the Bush administration-

"To say that this goofy child president is looking more and more like Richard Nixon in 1974 would be a flagrant insult to Nixon.

Whoops! Did I say that? Is it even vaguely possible that some New Age Republican whore-beast of a false president could actually make Richard Nixon look like a liberal?"

on who would vote for GW-

"They are the same ones that wanted to have Muhammad Ali locked up for refusing to kill gooks. They speak for all that is cruel and stupid and vicious in the American character. They are the racists and hate-mongers among us- they are the Ku Klux Klan. I piss down the throats of these Nazis.

And I am too old to worry about whether they like it or not. Fuck them."

(lifted from Relix apr-may 2003)

[smile]

well, speak of the devil....

Hunter S. Thompson Breaks Leg, Recovering

Dec 17, 3:34 AM (ET)

By RON STATON

HONOLULU (AP) - Journalist Hunter S. Thompson is recovering but faces surgery after breaking his leg in a fall at his Waikiki hotel, his wife said Tuesday.

Thompson had traveled to Hawaii to cover Sunday's Honolulu Marathon as a columnist for ESPN.com. His wife said he was injured early Friday when he slipped on the bathroom floor.

After a brief hospital say, Thompson, 66, and his wife were returning Tuesday night or Wednesday morning to their home in Aspen, Colo., where he will have surgery.

"The first few days he was in a lot of pain," Anita Thompson told The Associated Press. But "he is a fast healer."

Thompson had planned to join actor Josh Hartnett on the pace vehicle for the annual marathon.

Hartnett will co-star in "The Rum Diary," the movie version of Thompson's book based on his adventures in Puerto Rico, where he worked as a journalist in 1959 after being fired from a small-town newspaper in New York.

Thompson still plans his first visit back to Puerto Rico to act as consultant when shooting for "The Rum Diary" begins this month or next, his wife said.

Anita Thompson was the writer's 30-year-old assistant when they married in Aspen on April 24

As an aside, we hung around and "talked" to the guy who runs this beer company...well, we talked, he mumbled incoherent shit and his wife translated. If I remember corectly we got a lesson about some prehistoric animal that used to live around the CO area...interesting guy for sure. They had the best beer at the microbrew fest and tonight i just saw on their site that they won a couple categories that year...

• 2 weeks later...

well it's good to see thats there is many fans out there with diferent opinions on the man.

Some people critized his writing but Larry jr. made a good point about how he has consumed all these diferent drugs in such a vast quantity that his ability to piece together a simple sentence is quite inspirational

quote:

Originally posted by NewRider:

I actually just downloaded this lecture by him

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

UC Auditorium

Boulder,CO

11/01/1977

source: SBD>??>SHN

01 Intro, American Dream, Tex Coalson 06:56

02 Nixon and Football, Vietnam Books 04:33

03 Tom Wolfe 03:19

04 Trudeau, Running For Office 05:48

05 Rockafellar, Tri-Lateral Comm. 05:58

06 Rush, Eldridge Cleever 04:21

07 VD, Disco & Rolling Stone 05:50

08 World Series, MK - Ultra 03:57

09 Kesey, Canada 04:10

10 Evil As Nixon?, Uganda, Degeneracy 05:32

11 Steadman, Gonzo 04:20

12 More Kesey, Avoiding Jail 02:36

13 Silver Platter, The Slide 03:55

14 Carter Argument 02:34

15 Drug Question, Drunk And Loud 04:42

16 Three Wishes, Fascist 05:21

17 Grateful Dead 00:42

time: 74:41

New Rider. if you don't mind, I would love to find that essay as well, actually very, very intrigued.. if you can help me find it that would be greatly appreciated!!! happy newyear!

i love hst's writing. i read 'fear and loathing' after i saw the movie, and then 'hell's angels', really good, and then'rum diaries.' i didn't notice mention of that one here, but it's when he's a fairly young writer, i think in some part of puerto rico. it's good. i have lots more to read of his.

ya hunter!

Archived