Jambands.ca

Get Ready For...

MamaPink

-

Justin Hawkins

Vocals/Guitar/Synthesizer

So there's no ironic intent? "No," he says, switching into sarcastic mode, "I'm just doing what's real and right." And they're not taking the piss out of Heavy Metal? "No way! Fuck that!"

Mothers Hide your Daughters [Confused]

OMG - it looks like Chase is taking me to see The Darkness for my birthday! HA HA Frickin' HILARIOUS!

They're playing at The Pheonix in Toronto - Monday january 12th.

Even funnier, i dared chase to grow a mullet awhile back, so he'll fit the part for sure as a real hardcore Darkness fan.

ahhhhhhh, i'm so jealous! you're going to get to live our dream! we've been planning to be darkness groupies for months, and now it's all at the tip of your fingers! go team! omg, as if you are even going with chase too, that fricken rules.

next run i am so coming, we'll round up a couple of those jumpsuits (yours will be pink of course!) & maybe i'll bring out the mullet wigs JUST for the occasion. wow, happy birthday to you!

Actually they're a pretty new band I believe.

"Justin Hawkins grew up in the Suffolk town of Lowestoft, at a young age he locked himself away and learnt guitar. He was pretty good, but his kid brother Dan was even better ("I'm white hot," says Justin, "but he's shit hot."). Spotting their own potential they started a covers band with Dan on lead vocals.

In 1997, Justin departed to University in Huddersfield. Dan, meanwhile, moved to London in search of a band to join. That's when he met Frankie Poullain, an exiled Scot who came from a family of adventurers (he claims his dad was a pirate in the West Indies, his brother a soldier of fortune).

They shared a flat in Shepherd's Bush, where itinerant musos would pass through and jam. Justin, and Dan's schoolfriend Ed Graham, a drummer, would visit on weekends. The two brothers and Frankie formed an ill-fated prog rock band called Empire. Under Justin's guidance, they increased the heaviness of the sound, and threw out the lead singer. The brothers Hawkins had a talk. Was it worth carrying on? The answer came on Millennium Eve, when the pair went back to Norfolk to their Aunty's pub.

Justin entered a karaoke competition and performed "Bohemian Rhapsody", acting out every line and doing spectacular star jumps. Dan beheld his big bro's flamboyant star quality, and saw the future: "I know, YOU be the front man! The first call they made was to Frankie, who left Venezuela to rejoin them. The second call they made was to Ed, who left his band to rejoin them. The Darkness was born."

BIOGRAPHY

Justin Hawkins grew up in the Suffolk town of Lowestoft, at a young age he locked himself away and learnt guitar. He was pretty good, but his kid brother Dan was even better ("I'm white hot," says Justin, "but he's shit hot."). Spotting their own potential they started a covers band with Dan on lead vocals.

In 1997, Justin departed to University in Huddersfield. Dan, meanwhile, moved to London in search of a band to join. That's when he met Frankie Poullain, an exiled Scot who came from a family of adventurers (he claims his dad was a pirate in the West Indies, his brother a soldier of fortune).

They shared a flat in Shepherd's Bush, where itinerant musos would pass through and jam. Justin, and Dan's schoolfriend Ed Graham, a drummer, would visit on weekends. The two brothers and Frankie formed an ill-fated prog rock band called Empire. Under Justin's guidance, they increased the heaviness of the sound, and threw out the lead singer. The brothers Hawkins had a talk. Was it worth carrying on? The answer came on Millennium Eve, when the pair went back to Norfolk to their Aunty's pub.

Justin entered a karaoke competition and performed "Bohemian Rhapsody", acting out every line and doing spectacular star jumps. Dan beheld his big bro's flamboyant star quality, and saw the future: "I know, YOU be the front man! The first call they made was to Frankie, who left Venezuela to rejoin them. The second call they made was to Ed, who left his band to rejoin them. The Darkness was born.

justin2.jpg" width="175" height="225" alt="photography © sarahphotogirl.com" border="0" align="right dan2.jpg" width="175" height="225" alt="photography © sarahphotogirl.com" border="0" align="right frankie2.jpg" width="175" height="225" alt="photography © sarahphotogirl.com" border="0" align="right ed2.jpg" width="175" height="225" alt="photography © sarahphotogirl.com" border="0" align="right

Justin Hawkins

Vocals/Guitar/Synthesizer

Dan Hawkins

Guitar

Frankie Poullain

Bass

Ed Graham

Drums

"I'm in a band with my brother and my two best mates..."

The Darkness hit the live circuit in earnest, playing a series of now-legendary gigs around North London, almost always on a Saturday night (The Darkness are, in so many ways, the ultimate Saturday night band). A devoted following grew show-by-show, purely by word of mouth. The thing which set them apart, as much as the music, was their sheer showmanship.

"Everyone's too uptight these days," reckons Frankie. "I hate the arrogance of bands who think their petty emotions are interesting. If you look at bands from 25 years ago, people have smiles on their faces. We're bringing a bit of that back."

So there's no ironic intent? "No," he says, switching into sarcastic mode, "I'm just doing what's real and right." And they're not taking the piss out of Heavy Metal? "No way! Fuck that!"

"We know we've got a long struggle," says Dan thoughtfully. "No-one dares break any rules. But once we get unleashed, we could change everything."

I caught a bit of their appearance on MuchMusic yesterday, and if you accept the fact that they've got a derived-from-Led-Zeppelin / '70s glammish-rock vibe, they're tons of fun (if you like that sort of thing; if masses of Gibson Les Pauls run through Marshall stacks offend your ears, steer clear).

The singer took a turn on lead guitar, and was actually very good; good enough, in my opinion, to have the standard line-up include both him and the guitar player playing full-time.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived